Thread: 50 years ago today

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

50 years ago today

President Johnson's campaign ran this ad in September 1964, meant to scare people into believing that Barry Goldwater would lead the country into nuclear war. The ad only ran once.

The girl in the video, Monique Luiz, didn't see the ad until the year 2000. She is now 53.

Her family was not told the nature of the ad, and simply paid them to have Monique pick daisies. When they saw the ad, they were ashamed of it and the controversy it produced, and Luiz was told to keep quiet about being the girl in it.

Comments

son of lockman: [plain]yes it was an overblown ad not to be meant as a pun. LBJ almost used nuclear weapons at Khe Sanh where i was stationed the crazy fuck. But westmoreland told him no thank god. otherwise i may have been the marine who fired it abd started ww3.[

Banned
    Load Metric
    1964 was a good year

Comments

son of lockman: isn't that the yeqr you were born?

Load Metric
    shots fired, sonny

Comments

son of lockman: LJB almost started ww3 he did. all over a little mountain side.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    1964 was a good year
    1964 was a great year.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Yeah instead of Goldwater taking over and putting the screws to the commies. LBJ got us fully involved in the clusterfuck known as Vietnam and made millions illegally profiting off the war and the blood of our soldiers as he was involved with the construction in Vietnam of bases and such.

Comments

son of lockman: that aint no lie. that vietnam was one of the biggest mistakes the u.s. has ever made.

tyde: nice post ...spot on

Load Metric
    I remember seeing that ad as a teenager and remember how powerful it was to even a stupid young kid like myself. That being said, Goldwater was already viewed as an extremist who always trailed badly in the polls and was humiliated on election day. Because of his opposition to Civil rights legislation he ran well in the Deep South and this was the start of the eventual domination of the Republican Party in the former Confederate states.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post
    Yeah instead of Goldwater taking over and putting the screws to the commies. LBJ got us fully involved in the clusterfuck known as Vietnam and made millions illegally profiting off the war and the blood of our soldiers as he was involved with the construction in Vietnam of bases and such.
    50 years later it's the SOS. Cheney, Haliburton Obama

Fill in the blank:

Clusterfuck known as __________.

We ARE the worlds policeman.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCommode View Post
    I remember seeing that ad as a teenager and remember how powerful it was to even a stupid young kid like myself. That being said, Goldwater was already viewed as an extremist who always trailed badly in the polls and was humiliated on election day. Because of his opposition to Civil rights legislation he ran well in the Deep South and this was the start of the eventual domination of the Republican Party in the former Confederate states.
    Actually the Republicans didn't start dominating the south until 2000.

Look at this electoral map from 1976:

The entire south went for Carter.

And in 1992, Bill Clinton picked up a number of southern states, as well.

George W. Bush's campaign in 2000 shifted the south into Republican territory by getting the churches involved in politics.

Comments

son of lockman: [plain]The south was always a Republican party. Lincoln was democrat who campaigned as republican. that is with the policies they endorsed. within the last 50 years republicans are just that. republicans. but now it's a democratic north. now if you

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCommode View Post

George W. Bush's campaign in 2000 shifted the south into Republican territory by getting the churches involved in politics.
    I think you are wrong...or at least you claim does not agree with the information at http://www.270towin.com/states/

that site shows the following states voting Republican in 1964, the year of the Civil Rights Act being passed...Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina...

and in 1968 was when George Wallace won those states with the American Independent Party (not demo)...Wallace was pro-segregation for those of you too young or who slept through your American History class...

Lyndon Johnson, from Texas, believed that by passing the civil rights bill, the Democrats would lose the south for a lifetime...and I believe usually those states have gone Republican since 1964
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 09-10-2014 at 02:57 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Rest In Peace, Godfather delaware's Avatar
    Load Metric
    50 years ago today my daughter was almost a month old.i made 48.64 cents aweek and lived very well.those were the good old days

Comments

son of lockman: hey in 1971 i labded a job with the teamsters making $7.10 an hour doing frieght work. that was really big money at the time. in 1985 working as a mechanic i made 49K.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I think you wrong...or at least you claim does not agree with the information at http://www.270towin.com/states/

that site shows the following states voting Republican in 1964, the year of the Civil Rights Act being passed...Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina...

and in 1968 was when George Wallace won those states with the American Independent Party (not demo)...Wallace was pro-segregation for those of you too young or who slept through your American History class...

Lyndon Johnson, from Texas, believed that by passing the civil rights bill, the Democrats would lose the south for a lifetime...and I believe usually those states have gone Republican since 1964
    Druff, to really appreciate the seismic change in the South that took place in 1964, you have to look at pre1964 elections. In the 1960 election, Kennedy won the popular vote in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas and Arkansas. He lost Mississippi by 8,000 votes to segregationist Harry Byrd and Nixon trailed badly. The 1976 election was an anomaly, Carter the virtually unknown Georgian vs Ford from Michigan. Four years later in 1980, Carter carried only Georgia in the South when he came to be identified as a liberal Democrat. Clinton from Arkansas still managed to lose Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida and Texas in 1992, even with Perot peeling votes from Bush. In the 1996 landslide, Clinton still managed to lose all the same states plus Georgia and minus Florida to the hopeless Bob Dole.
    Last edited by JohnCommode; 09-10-2014 at 03:49 PM.

Thread Information