Disturbing story out of Caesars Palace.

I have a friend who is a heavy player at Caesars properties. He already renewed his Seven Stars early this year, and continued to play enough to where he earned $500 "Caesars gift cards", which are good for any charges at Caesars properties.

He was at Caeasrs Palace over Labor Day weekend, and decided to use his gift card to buy a watch in the gift shop.

Name:  alan-overcharge2.jpg
Views: 3799
Size:  137.3 KB

Notice anything weird already? If not, look again.

First off, they oddly charged his gift card $500 when the watch was $372.95, and the receipt says he was due "change" of $127.05! Have you ever heard of this? When you purchase items with a credit card or gift card, you're always charged the exact price and are never due any "change". So this was already shady. My friend did not notice this at the time.

The charge is apparently listed as "Mastercard" because the Caesars Gift card is some weird sort of Mastercard.

Anyway, he went to use his gift card again today, and found it had a zero balance instead of the $127.05 that it was supposed to have.

He called the gift shop, and told the first person who answered the phone that he felt there had to be a mistake. They put the phone down and he overheard, "Amanda overcharged him $127.05."

He found this especially odd because he hadn't yet given them any specific information, such as the amount overcharged or the receipt number. He asked how they could have possibly known that Amanda overcharged him $127 before looking it up.

Then he was given a REALLY lame excuse:

"I was at lunch then, and when I saw the transaction I knew you were overcharged."

He then asked the obvious question: "If you knew I was overcharged at the time, why haven't you corrected it four days later?"

The person didn't have an answer for that, and promised him a call back about the matter.

That's where it stands right now.

To me, it looks very possible that Amanda purposely overcharged him the $127.05, and then pocketed the equivalent amount of cash out of the register, thus allowing her to steal without the register coming up short.

And it looks like other employees were in on it, as they knew immediately about the $127 when he called in, before looking anything up.

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaady.

I'd still like to know why Amanda charged him $500 on a $372.95 gift card purchase. And why they didn't immediately return the funds to his gift card if the person at lunch "noticed" this four days ago.

So if you go to the Caesars gift shop, beware, especially if a woman named Amanda rings up your purchase.