Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How should I deal with this neighbor?

Load Metric

How should I deal with this neighbor?

So I live in a building that has three units with one shared entrance. When I moved in two of the units were vacant and could be attached from 2nd floor to 3rd floor so I grabbed both of them making one large unit. The guy that has the other unit uses it for his business and it is small compared to the two I have and thus 1/5th the price (he is on the 1st floor).

I am finding it annoying that random people come in and out of the building so that I dont really know at ay given time who is in the building. My question is how do I go about asking him if he wants to move out of the building? I was thinking about offering him two months rent to leave, but I cant really figure out a way to bring this up without giving him the feeling I am trying to push him out.

The guy is super cool, but between the two units I have , I am paying 5 times more in rent than he is yet share the building with him , his employee and customers.
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    Just be straight up with him and make him a decent offer.Im sure he won't get offended, I wouldn't.

Load Metric
    I'd be surprised if you could make him go away for that price.

I assume you'd assume his lease liability+ 2 months free at next destination? Don't see a guy leaving for that. If he wasn't doing business out of there, sure, but seems it would be a giant pain in the ass for him.

I'd just approach him straight up and try and figure something out since you get along.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    1. Fly Pooh Out
    2. Hypnotize him and tell him the guy downstairs is his father
    3. ?????????????????
    4. Vacant

Comments

varys: lol

Pooh: touche

jsearles22: Roflma

nunbeater: that's fucked up but damn

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

I assume you'd assume his lease liability+ 2 months free at next destination? Don't see a guy leaving for that. If he wasn't doing business out of there, sure, but seems it would be a giant pain in the ass for him.

I'd just approach him straight up and try and figure something out since you get along.

Yeah, I was thinking maybe it was too low so worried about offending him. maybe bump it up to what he is paying for 4 months,

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    LOL who the fuck do you think you are?

Comments

varys: not a low rent canadian n-word

Walter Sobchak: no kidding

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

Yeah, I was thinking maybe it was too low so worried about offending him. maybe bump it up to what he is paying for 4 months,
    Let me get this straight, you are paying 5x what he pays. And to get rid of him you are only willing to pay him 2-4x what HE pays. So essentially you dont even want to pay what you pay for one month? It doesnt sound like the guy is too big of a headache if you arent willing to part with one months rent. I think a good starting point might be what YOU pay for 2 months. That might actually have him listening
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Do you own this complex?

Not sure why you cant.........wait for it........

DEALWITHIT, SFO

Comments

cmoney: .

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post

Let me get this straight, you are paying 5x what he pays. And to get rid of him you are only willing to pay him 2-4x what HE pays. So essentially you dont even want to pay what you pay for one month? It doesnt sound like the guy is too big of a headache if you arent willing to part with one months rent. I think a good starting point might be what YOU pay for 2 months. That might actually have him listening
    Rent is fucking expensive in NY. You think giving him 6 months to a year worth of rent is a fair? Seriously question. I just dont know. Maybe I will leave out an amount when i talk with him and if he is interested have him come up with the number. Too many times my initial offer for something was snap taken and felt retarded, as I could have gotten away with paying a lot less.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Manhattan right?

Load Metric

Rent is fucking expensive in NY. You think giving him 6 months to a year worth of rent is a fair? Seriously question. I just dont know. Maybe I will leave out an amount when i talk with him and if he is interested have him come up with the number. Too many times my initial offer for something was snap taken and felt retarded, as I could have gotten away with paying a lot less.

I'd say hold your hand close to your vest and get a number from him in whatever offhand way you could approach the conversation. Use a question approach like 'Have you ever thought about expanding? Getting another place?' Then lead with 'I might have to move because since I moved in, I realized I don't have enough room here'. At that point he might lead out with an offer, if not, go with the 'I had this idea..' and ask HIM for a number.

Load Metric
    hide some drugs + currency.

call cops, get him busted.

take over his lease.

Load Metric
    Just giving him a few month's rent will not work, but here are a few options:

Do nothing and live with it.

Move.

See if the area is properly zoned for his business, if not call the city.

Talk to your landlords about your concerns. If they value your tenancy, they might solve the problem for you.

Talk to the tenant and see if there is a way to solve the problem.

Hire a homeless person to camp out on your doorway and scare off his business.

Kill him. (A drastic measure, not recommended).

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post

Move.

Talk to your landlords about your concerns. If they value your tenancy, they might solve the problem for you.

If you are paying for 5/6ths of the building, I cant imagine that your landlord wouldnt side with you on things.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Why be underhanded or scheming? Just tell the guy that he's cool, but you'd prefer not having his customers coming into the building. Would he consider moving, and what would you need to do to make it worth his while.

Load Metric
    On the real estate Miami show. They wanted to sell an apartment that someone had a lease signed on, and they had to give her a shit ton of money to get out. Theres no chance this guy is leaving when he has his business there. Youd have to offer at least 12 months and moving fees for him to consider.

Or just have wild parties all night long on workdays and hell move out for nothing

Load Metric
    what kind of business is it?

Load Metric

as mentioned by others, work with the landlord on this--tell the landlord you are willing/want the rest of the building...in most states, leases convert to month-to-month rentals at the end of the lease period, and require 30 advance written notice of termination...so worse case, you have to put up with the other tenant until the end of his lease

re: offer too much; you can feel you paid too much when snap taken, but remember, your offer was based on what you valued the item you bought--so while you could maybe have gotten a better deal, you still got what you wanted at a price you were willing to pay--so put away your 2nd thoughts on your deal making
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Hire Pete Lubrano to come take the guy down OUTRIGHT

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post

Move.

If you are paying for 5/6ths of the building, I cant imagine that your landlord wouldnt side with you on things.

I actually called the landlord before even thinking of approaching the neighbor about this. I wanted to ask their permission so I didnt step on any toes. The neighbors lease is actually up in Dec, but the landlord wont kick him out if he wants to renew. I could tell the landlord not to renew it or else i wont renew but then i would come across as a dick

Thread Information