Thread: The Official Hurricane thread, 2012

Bronze
    Load Metric

The Official Hurricane thread, 2012

Hurricane season starts officially June 1st and lasts until the last day of November. Given the very warm winter I would not be surprised of a low level cyclone to form in May. Nothing major, but it could happen. To be ahead of the curve, I owe it to PFA to start this thread a little early.

This thread will be updated as tropical events accumulate. I expect a nasty Hurricane season given the warm winter. The water is warm and if the correct upper atmoshpere happens, it could get ugly. This thread will be updated as events dictate.

Little point in history. Hurricane Andrew. The only Cat 5 to hit the US since Camille (1969). Hard to believe Jin Cantori once had hair. Series is 4 parts if you want to watch, part 1 is HERE:

Load Metric
    Name:  1193626392_f.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  15.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The PHA View Post
    Hurricane season starts officially June 1st and lasts until the last day of November. Given the very warm winter I would not be surprised of a low level cyclone to form in May. Nothing major, but it could happen. To be ahead of the curve, I owe it to PFA to start this thread a little early.

This thread will be updated as tropical events accumulate. I expect a nasty Hurricane season given the warm winter. The water is warm and if the correct upper atmoshpere happens, it could get ugly. This thread will be updated as events dictate.

Little point in history. Hurricane Andrew. The only Cat 5 to hit the US since Camille (1969). Hard to believe Jin Cantori once had hair. Series is 4 parts if you want to watch, part 1 is HERE:

Seems like you are the only one who thinks that.

We anticipate that the 2012 Atlantic basin hurricane season will have reduced activity compared with the 1981-2010 climatology. The tropical Atlantic has anomalously cooled over the past several months, and it appears that the chances of an El Niņo event this summer and fall are relatively high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    All I know is that I'm not going to east Texas this August.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    After the terrible 2005 hurricane season, a lot of doom-and-gloom environmentalist types were predicting that severe global warming consequences were upon us, and that we could expect 2005-like hurricane seasons as the norm for the foreseeable future.

They told us to gear up for season after season of major deadly hurricanes.

The 2006 hurricane season came, and not only wasn't it as severe as 2005, it was actually a below-average year for hurricanes. The panic died down.

Seven years later, it appears that 2005 was just an anomaly, and that we aren't any more likely to experience bad hurricane seasons than we were in previous generations.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    After the terrible 2005 hurricane season, a lot of doom-and-gloom environmentalist types were predicting that severe global warming consequences were upon us, and that we could expect 2005-like hurricane seasons as the norm for the foreseeable future.

The 2006 hurricane season came, and not only wasn't it as severe as 2005, it was actually a below-average year for hurricanes. The panic died down.

Seven years later, it appears that 2005 was just an anomaly, and that we aren't any more likely to experience bad hurricane seasons than we were in previous generations.
    Global warming would cause less hurricanes. Think about it. Warmer temperatures mean ice caps melt. Melted ice would mean cooler ocean temperatures. Hurricanes need warm water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Bronze
    Load Metric

My brother owned a condo a block from the beach for a few years in Clearwater. After 2005, his insurance quadrupled and there was no guarantee they would not drop the whole building altogether. It was the height of the real estate boom and someone offered him $300,000 for his unit. Mind you, he paid $90,000 for it in 1998. He sold it. I was there in Clearwater 2009 and went by the building and half the units were for sale for under $200,000. The property manager was outside and said they were not moving because of the economy, but more notably insurance was so freaking high. I walked by the pool and there was this guy like 80 years old drinking a quart of beer reading the paper. I asked him what was up, and in the strangest of sequences, he looked at me for like 10 seconds, said nothing and went back to reading his paper. LOL, ok.

I agree with Druff, the media has blown Hurricanes way out of proportion. BUT, even that hurricane that hit the east coast last year, Irene, caused $15B in damage even though people called it a dud. Which it was but it was so large it toppled thousands of trees and produce massive flooding. Popeil said his power was out for 3 weeks in his town.

Load Metric
    I was in Wilmington, NC a few years back leacing town with my brother as Hurricane Irene (?) was approaching. We took a look at the ocean before leaving and were amazed to see 20-25 foot waves. One of the collest things I have ever seen.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Thankfully I had the foresight to make this thread before I was new thread restricted.

Going to be an active year. Stay tuned.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...85K13K20120621

Load Metric
    Does anyone else get a bit disappointed when a heavily touted hurricane ends up petering out or is nowhere near as huge as predicted?

I don't want anyone to get hurt or die obviously but there's something awesome about natural disasters owning heads.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    A hurricane hunter special is on Weather Channel RIGHT NOW.

You heard it here first

Load Metric
    Ric Flair, hurricanes, 'news', Stevie Nicks, Price is Right, Saturday Night Fever.

For the motherfucking win.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Does anyone else get a bit disappointed when a heavily touted hurricane ends up petering out or is nowhere near as huge as predicted?

I don't want anyone to get hurt or die obviously but there's something awesome about natural disasters owning heads.
    not after being in Hurricane Wilma in October of 2005 with 110 mph winds and tornadoes touching down all around, stuck indoors not knowing wither your going to live or die
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Look Corrigan, you've been a sideshow clown around here from the jump
    It's tough to take you seriously when you've made your bones acting the fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Which one is he?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I used to live not far from here but never saw anything like this......

if you can watch til the end you may agree hell won this time

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post

Global warming would cause less hurricanes. Think about it. Warmer temperatures mean ice caps melt. Melted ice would mean cooler ocean temperatures. Hurricanes need warm water.
    Are you serious? Ocean surface temperatures are up significantly.

Druff has just, once again, forgotten that there is an entire planet outside of America. He also seems to be forgetting that there have been tons of non-hurricane storms in America over the last decade. Global climate change models also predict an increase in major snowstorms, because those are caused by atmospheric turbulence and energy.

The last 5 years have actually been a good bit worse than the computer models predicted. Methane hydrates in the arctic are melting faster than expected. Methane is 20 times more potent of a greenhouse gas than CO2 is.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post

Are you serious? Ocean surface temperatures are up significantly.

Druff has just, once again, forgotten that there is an entire planet outside of America. He also seems to be forgetting that there have been tons of non-hurricane storms in America over the last decade. Global climate change models also predict an increase in major snowstorms, because those are caused by atmospheric turbulence and energy.

fuck off nerd

Thread Information