Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sklansky wants elderly drivers to post a warning on their cars

Load Metric

Sklansky wants elderly drivers to post a warning on their cars

On the TwoPlusTwo Pokercast, David Sklansky wants elderly divers whose driving skills may have deteriorated to have a sign on their car that says "Elderly Driver", much like the "Student Driver" signs. Even though I am 65 myself and generally deplore "geezer bashing", the 66 year old Sklansky may have come up with an idea with some merit. On further reflection, I believe that when Sklansky is in a public place where females are present, he should by law be required to wear a T shirt that clearly states: WARNING: DAVID SLANSKY IS PRESENT ALL FEMALES WHO MAY BE EITHER PHYSICALLY OR PSYCHOLOGICALLY CHALLENGED HE MAY TRY TO INGRATIATE HIMSELF WITH YOU FOR THE PURPOSE OF SEXUAL PERVERSION PLEASE KEEP TWO CAR LENGTHS DISTANCE This only seems fair to me since we all should be concerned with public safety both on and off the road.

Comments

son of lockman: well said

Dan Druff: haha

Salty_Aus: "Vibrator on-board"

Rest In Peace, Godfather delaware's Avatar
    Load Metric
    iam 67 and my top speed is 55. been that way for most of my life.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Does he have to have a "Pre-teen on Board" bumper sticker?

Load Metric
    I didn't read OP til now or wouldn't have posted that.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by delaware View Post
    iam 67 and my top speed is 55. been that way for most of my life.

So how man years have you been 67? Too bad you didn't figure out how to stop age sooner than that. I can't imagine in would be much fun to be stuck on 67.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    He needs to have a bumper sticker on his car that says.

''I'm a pervert that likes to screw young women.''

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    anyone start digging that hole in the desert yet?

Load Metric
    For someone who prides himself on being rational that's a very ignorant statement. While Elderly drivers do have worse driving skill overall, in terms of being dangerous they are a fairly safe population (hence why they have such low insurance rates). The Elderly tend to be self aware in that they self restrict their driving to comfortable conditions, and when they are in accidents, its more likely to be fender benders with minimal safety concerns. In the event that they do kill people its usually themselves.

The real problem has nothing to do with driving skill and all researchers have known this for 40 years. In fact its been shown repeatedly that the top race car drivers are some of the worst drivers on the road 9despite being the most skilled). How so? Well driving style plays much more of a role than skill. People who drive recklessly or take high risk (often young males) are the real people you have to watch out for.

You'd be better off mandating that all young males drive with a female passenger (which has been shown to make guys more responsible).

Comments

Prodigal son: Well said

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The warning sign idea is idiotic, and would be illegal, as it would be blatant age discrimination.

However, I do feel they should require more frequent driver's tests for drivers over 80. Like every year. While it's true that elderly people rarely drive recklessly, there are many cases of elderly people accidentally plowing into crowds of people (or storefronts) because they are senile and have no business behind the wheel. Other elderly people are still good drivers, so this should be determined on a case-by-case basis at the DMV.

There should also be a program where a direct relative can report an elderly driver to the DMV as being unfit, and they would then be immediately tested. Many senile and/or stubborn people over 80 don't want to give up their license despite being unfit to drive, and there's nothing any concerned relatives can do about it.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I think you should have to repass the drivers test or at least a reflex test at certain intervals to keep your license

Bronze
    Load Metric

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The warning sign idea is idiotic, and would be illegal, as it would be blatant age discrimination.

However, I do feel they should require more frequent driver's tests for drivers over 80. Like every year. While it's true that elderly people rarely drive recklessly, there are many cases of elderly people accidentally plowing into crowds of people (or storefronts) because they are senile and have no business behind the wheel. Other elderly people are still good drivers, so this should be determined on a case-by-case basis at the DMV.

There should also be a program where a direct relative can report an elderly driver to the DMV as being unfit, and they would then be immediately tested. Many senile and/or stubborn people over 80 don't want to give up their license despite being unfit to drive, and there's nothing any concerned relatives can do about it.
    When I was like 15, I personally saw an 80+ year old back right through a furniture store in reverse. Nobody was hurt, but there was a two year old in a stroller a few feet away. Guy was definitely senile, he was complaining the groceries in his front seat would spoil as they led him into the ambulance. I looked in the car and there was a roll of paper towels and a 2 liter of coke and some type of soap.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Damone View Post
    When I was like 15, I personally saw an 80+ year old back right through a furniture store in reverse.
    no you didn't
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83
    I'm going to come across as a bit of a douche but I really know more about this then anyone on this board by miles.

...if Trump is nominee he wins Presidency easily. Angry Blue Collar Whites will have record turnout.

Load Metric

Druff you are smarter than this. "Many" cases is simply media bias. There are 40k fatalities every year in usa from motorvehicles crashes, the people who are killed from elderly are nothing compared to a young jewdonk/bottomset. If you are worried about someone killing your family its much more likely it will be someone younger than yourself.

Load Metric
    https://www.aaafoundation.org/sites/...sk%20FINAL.pdf

Look at the charts/graphs starting on page 4/5

Comments

LLL: Laying the smackdown ITT.

Load Metric
    Just to be clear and not to defend the loathsome Sklansky, he only wanted elderly drivers with deteriorated driving skills to have the Elderly Driver sign. When I started the thread it was mostly to poke fun at Sklansky the putz, but it clearly struck a nerve with fellow seniors like Delaware and BetCheckBet. What I would say about this issue is that if you hear about a driver who was texting and mowed down a cyclist or a jogger, will he turn out to be 65 or 25? When you are about to cross the street at an intersection and a car accelerates through the just changed red light, will he be 19 or 79? If by chance you are out on the road about a half an hour after bar closing time and see a mangled car accident involving a car and a tree, will the EMTs be trying to save the lives of three 81 year olds or three 21 year olds? Who is most likely to self-regulate by taking advantage of public transportation, the elderly impaired driver or the teenager with numerous traffic violations and accidents? Finally, because there is no crime in America, I am sure that cars with the Elderly Driver sign would not be targeted by muggers or carjackers as easy prey. They would surely be sympathetic and respectful to senior citizens. Concentrate on bad younger drivers first who cause the vast majority of mayhem, then come talk to us when you have all that sorted out.
    Last edited by JohnCommode; 08-09-2014 at 04:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post

Druff you are smarter than this. "Many" cases is simply media bias. There are 40k fatalities every year in usa from motorvehicles crashes, the people who are killed from elderly are nothing compared to a young jewdonk/bottomset. If you are worried about someone killing your family its much more likely it will be someone younger than yourself.
    You can't effectively test at the DMV for reckless driving because all but the biggest idiots will be on their best behavior at the test.

You CAN effectively test for people who are too senile or physically deteriorated to be able to drive safely.

This isn't a contest as to which age group causes the most fatalities. It is a real problem with an easy solution.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCommode View Post
    Just to be clear and not to defend the loathsome Sklansky, he only wanted elderly drivers with deteriorated driving skills to have the Elderly Driver sign. When I started the thread it was mostly to poke fun at Sklansky the putz, but it clearly struck a nerve with fellow seniors like Delaware and BetCheckBet. What I would say about this issue is that if you hear about a driver who was texting and mowed down a cyclist or a jogger, will he turn out to be 65 or 25? When you are about to cross the street at an intersection and a car accelerates through the just changed red light, will he be 19 or 79? If by chance you are out on the road about a half an hour after bar closing time and see a mangled car accident involving a car and a tree, will the EMTs be trying to save the lives of three 81 year olds or three 21 year olds? Who is most likely to self-regulate by taking advantage of public transportation, the elderly impaired driver or the teenager with numerous traffic violations and accidents? Finally, because there is no crime in America, I am sure that cars with the Elderly Driver sign would not be targeted by muggers or carjackers as easy prey. They would surely be sympathetic and respectful to senior citizens. Concentrate on bad younger drivers first, then come talk to us.
    It's not an either/or scenario, and your examples are silly, esp about the elderly who would self-regulate and take public transportation. Elderly drivers oftentimes equate the ability to drive with independence, and would sooner admit to pedophilia and murder than admit to their diminishing skills and need for help/supervision. Ain't NOBODY more stubborn than an old person who's been independent their whole life, and cannot fathom not being so at their elevated age.

Comments

Dan Druff: this guy gets it

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Just to be clear and not to defend the loathsome Sklansky, he only wanted elderly drivers with deteriorated driving skills to have the Elderly Driver sign. When I started the thread it was mostly to poke fun at Sklansky the putz, but it clearly struck a nerve with fellow seniors like Delaware and BetCheckBet. What I would say about this issue is that if you hear about a driver who was texting and mowed down a cyclist or a jogger, will he turn out to be 65 or 25? When you are about to cross the street at an intersection and a car accelerates through the just changed red light, will he be 19 or 79? If by chance you are out on the road about a half an hour after bar closing time and see a mangled car accident involving a car and a tree, will the EMTs be trying to save the lives of three 81 year olds or three 21 year olds? Who is most likely to self-regulate by taking advantage of public transportation, the elderly impaired driver or the teenager with numerous traffic violations and accidents? Finally, because there is no crime in America, I am sure that cars with the Elderly Driver sign would not be targeted by muggers or carjackers as easy prey. They would surely be sympathetic and respectful to senior citizens. Concentrate on bad younger drivers first, then come talk to us.
    If he only wanted ones with deteriorated skills labeled, that's even dumber. If you could identify those drivers enough to give them a sign, they should be off the road completely, not saddled with a warning label and sent on their way.

BTW, when I advocated more frequent testing for elderly drivers, I meant ones over 80, not ones your age. Most people in their mid-60s have not deteriorated mentally/physically to where they become a danger on the road.

If I am still alive in 38 years, I will not be offended if the DMV requires me to take more frequent tests.

Imagine if your parent is 82 years old, and has had a sudden and sharp deterioration in their mental and/or physical state. However, they are stubborn and won't give up their keys, and you can't do a thing about it. You would feel helpless and unfortunately would have zero ability to do anything about it, unless they deteriorated to the point where they become fully incompetent. Many people in their 50s and 60s have had to deal with this situation involving their elderly parents, and the current laws regarding this are not sufficient.

BTW, one of my grandmothers died at 85. On her 84th birthday, she was fully mentally and physically competent. By the time she died (actually on her 85th birthday), she was completely enveloped in a mental fog and didn't know what was going on around her, to the point that she sometimes didn't recognize her own children. Fortunately she never drove, so taking her car away wasn't an issue, but otherwise she would have been an extreme danger if she held a license during that year. For the first few months of her degradation, she denied anything was wrong.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Just to be clear and not to defend the loathsome Sklansky, he only wanted elderly drivers with deteriorated driving skills to have the Elderly Driver sign. When I started the thread it was mostly to poke fun at Sklansky the putz, but it clearly struck a nerve with fellow seniors like Delaware and BetCheckBet. What I would say about this issue is that if you hear about a driver who was texting and mowed down a cyclist or a jogger, will he turn out to be 65 or 25? When you are about to cross the street at an intersection and a car accelerates through the just changed red light, will he be 19 or 79? If by chance you are out on the road about a half an hour after bar closing time and see a mangled car accident involving a car and a tree, will the EMTs be trying to save the lives of three 81 year olds or three 21 year olds? Who is most likely to self-regulate by taking advantage of public transportation, the elderly impaired driver or the teenager with numerous traffic violations and accidents? Finally, because there is no crime in America, I am sure that cars with the Elderly Driver sign would not be targeted by muggers or carjackers as easy prey. They would surely be sympathetic and respectful to senior citizens. Concentrate on bad younger drivers first who cause the vast majority of mayhem, then come talk to us when you have all that sorted out.

lol what a great post

Load Metric
    LOL at thinking I'm elderly. My avatar is of one of the greatest Canadian athletes ever!

The reason I'm passionate and knowledgeable on the subject is because I spent two years of my life writing a 100 page thesis around driving based on the FARS database, and in the process worked with some top researchers. In fact, I even spent some time looking into effective elderly driver retraining campaigns (which are way more effective than bumper stickers LOL). But as I mentioned there are some seriously ridiculous media bias in the area when it comes to what is reported and actual statistics. And contrary to what Druff states there are very effective ways to reduce risky driving styles. If you look at the history of fatalities from crashes in the usa its been on a steep decline the past two decades and it has nothing to do with DMV or more skilled drivers and much more around educational and policy changes.

BTW John is correct about elderly drivers self regulating. Tons of research to support this. Doesn;t change fact though that it is very difficult to go through and associated with quality of life drop.

Thread Information