Thread: The New Orleans Saints Bounty Scandal

Load Metric

The New Orleans Saints Bounty Scandal

Gregg Williams, current St. Louis Rams Defensive Coordinator, encouraged his players to injury players of the opposing team and offered bounties while coaching on the Saints from 2009-2011.

What will be the punishment for the Saints organization?

What are your thoughts on these bounties?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Gregg Williams, current St. Louis Rams Defensive Coordinator, encouraged his players to injury players of the opposing team and offered bounties while coaching on the Saints from 2009-2011.

What will be the punishment for the Saints organization?

What are your thoughts on these bounties?
    I always wondered why this didn't happen more often -- or perhaps it has, and we're just hearing about the first one that was actually caught.

I actually thought of this very recently, when Kobe Bryant got a concussion at the All-Star game.

What if an opposing team, fearful of losing to the Lakers in the playoffs (let's assume for the moment that the Lakers were championship caliber, which they're not right now), instructed one of their bench scrubs to purposely injure Kobe near the end of the season? What if they gave the scrub an otherwise undeserved contract extension for doing so? Would it be worth it? Financially, it probably would.

Load Metric
    I've kind of always thought shit like that was going on.

My high school coach used to give the defense a star on their helmet if they made a hit and the opposing player didn't get up. High school players get stickers. Professional players get dollars.

Load Metric
    I think it all boils down to the consequences. The Saints can face large fines, loss of draft picks, and suspensions for players and/or coaches. This could get serious.

Loss of draft picks is huge. Who would get the extra draft picks anyways?

I mean, if you think about it, all defenses are out there trying to punish the offense regularly. That's their job. There shouldn't be any additional motivation.

To answer your Kobe question, if the consequences only applied to the scrub player and not the entire organization, then it would definitely be worth it. I'm not sure how the NBA operates but the NFL goes after the organization.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    I think it all boils down to the consequences. The Saints can face large fines, loss of draft picks, and suspensions for players and/or coaches. This could get serious.

Loss of draft picks is huge. Who would get the extra draft picks anyways?

I mean, if you think about it, all defenses are out there trying to punish the offense regularly. That's their job. There shouldn't be any additional motivation.

To answer your Kobe question, if the consequences only applied to the scrub player and not the entire organization, then it would definitely be worth it. I'm not sure how the NBA operates but the NFL goes after the organization.
    Nobody would get the picks I believe. They would just get skipped and lose the pick.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I always wondered why this didn't happen more often -- or perhaps it has, and we're just hearing about the first one that was actually caught.

I actually thought of this very recently, when Kobe Bryant got a concussion at the All-Star game.

What if an opposing team, fearful of losing to the Lakers in the playoffs (let's assume for the moment that the Lakers were championship caliber, which they're not right now), instructed one of their bench scrubs to purposely injure Kobe near the end of the season? What if they gave the scrub an otherwise undeserved contract extension for doing so? Would it be worth it? Financially, it probably would.
    I am a lifelong Green Bay Packers fan and keep up with professional football really well. I have heard countless stories from older players say that they would try to knock players out of the game. They didn't want to permanently harm someone but they wanted to injure them enough to where they couldn't come back in the game.

What changed this line of thinking was Free Agency and the marketability of the NFL. With people constantly changing teams and ever increasing salaries the players become less open about purposely trying to injure opponents. It still goes on obviously but with much less openness and transparency than in the past.

There is obviously a very big reason nobody uses a bench player to intentionally injure a star player. The backlash that the specific player, coach, team, and organization would receive from other players, fans, and the league. It would be very obvious in a game like basketball if a player did this. In a game like football it would be less obvious but with ever rising monetary penalties and suspensions it would not be financially worth it all. Not to mention the moral standards that most people hold themselves to.

- Stamos

Load Metric
    Steve Young said today that if he were injured by any of these Saints teams he would file a lawsuit.

Brett Favre said that he thought something was up during their NFC Championship against the Saints. If you remember that game and all the brutal hits he took, I find it hard to disagree with him.

The game before that they played the Cardinals and Kurt Warner took some of the hardest hits I've seen. The majority of them could be classified as "cheap hits" as well.

Fuck the Saints.

Load Metric
    The Saints had a $10k bounty on Favre.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff;516[B
    ]I always wondered why this didn't happen more often [/B]-- or perhaps it has, and we're just hearing about the first one that was actually caught.

Seriously? Buddy Ryan got in trouble for this a while back. This has been punished by the league privately many times. Not new. Not even newsworthy IMHO.

Load Metric
    So football is finally catching up to hockey? Been happening since the 70's.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    So football is finally catching up to hockey? Been happening since the 70's.
    Fuck, I just heard Williams might be suspended for a year, if so, no one will hire him for years after that, he'll be like a LB coach @ Southwestern Idaho Jr college next.

F him, Players on Players is one thing, but these coaches that didn't play in the NFL, pulling this is BS, they should be shit canned.
    (Buddy Ryan never played, and Paul Hackett w/ the SF chop block, just ruining peoples careers)

Thread Information