Thread: Cox Data Usage Notification - anyone else get these

Load Metric

Cox Data Usage Notification - anyone else get these

"Your Cox High Speed Internet package includes a data plan of 300 Gigabytes. As of July 26, 2014, your household has used 902 Gigabytes of usage data in the current billing cycle. Some common factors affecting data usage include the number of Internet-connected devices in the household, Wi-Fi network security, the amount of streaming video watched, and the presence of viruses and spyware on one or more home computers. "

Is this just some scam to upsell me some package or do I really risk getting my Internet turned off? I checked their packages but the highest they have is 400 gigs a month. I am using roughly 90 gigs a day ever since I got this 4k TV. I am new to Cox and when I was with Comcast I never got this shit. It is pretty annoying that they would even send this given I pay them around 300 a month.
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    You have to call them and explain that the Wormhole needs massive gigabits as a sacrifice to keep it running.

Load Metric
    FFS, rename this forum to CONSUMER FRAUD ALERT asap druff thx.

Load Metric
    Didn't you move to NYC? If so, you should check into Veizon FIOS internet. Their website is showing 150 mbs for $129.99 a month. They don't mention a cap or a bandwidth throttling limit on their website.

http://www.verizon.com/home/fios-fas...internet-plans

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Comcast back at it again testing out a new ways to get money from people going over the cap in certain markets:

http://gizmodo.com/comcast-will-cap-...ium=socialflow

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yeah I had no idea there is a bandwidth limit in any US home internet plans.

Awful.

What do they claim will happen if you ignore this? Are there any threats?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I found this: http://www.cox.com/residential/suppo...3-000000000000

Claims they have as much as a 2000 GB plan.

Usage Over Your Data Plan

If you exceed your data plan, Cox may notify you by email to alert you. Your service will not be interrupted if you choose to stay on your existing package except in the rare cases of excessive usage. In those extremely rare situations, Cox may suspend service after attempting to resolve the issue. See Cox Online Privacy Policy and related terms and agreements for additional information.
    They also say they automatically charge Cleveland customers $10 per 50 GB overage, but I don't think that applies to anyone outside of that area.

Here are the plans you buy:

Starter 150 GB 5 Mbps / 1 Mbps
    Essential 250 GB 15 Mbps / 2 Mbps
    Preferred 350 GB 50 Mbps / 5 Mbps
    Premier 700 GB 100 Mbps / 10 Mbps
    Ultimate 2000 GB 150 Mbps / 20 Mbps
    Gigablast (Where Available) 2000 GB 1 Gbps / 1 Gbps

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also you can call Cox (if you're not on any current promotion) and demand they lower your bill. Ask for the retentions department.

You will usually get some money off, perhaps enough to account for the difference in what you will pay by upgrading your data plan.

Comments

OSA: jew being a jew

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Also you can call Cox (if you're not on any current promotion) and demand they lower your bill. Ask for the retentions department.

You will usually get some money off, perhaps enough to account for the difference in what you will pay by upgrading your data plan.
    I smell a prank phone call next show

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I have Charter and they are bad for a lot of things but they eliminated the cap a while back.

Charter even had an advertising campaign against a few other companies who have data caps saying how they don't so I can't see them going back to one after that.

The problem I have right now is they are claiming I can't get any promotions anymore. My services have gone up $50 a month since a few months ago and it's getting ridiculous. A few people told me I should talk to the retentions department but I've also read a few places that Charter will actually go as far as just shutting your services off completely so I don't want that.

Normally I was able to call Charter in the past and lock in deals claiming how I'd switch to DirecTV or Dish because the price increases were too much. They would give me the run around saying how I couldn't but they didn't put up much of a fight compared to now where they are saying I have the best deal possible for existing customers.

I'm still deciding what my best play is here to try to get this bill down a bit.

A bit off topic but anyone who has Sirius radio you can keep the 5 or 6 month promo of $5 a month that they send out afterwards if you go to the retentions department every time. You just tell them you aren't going to pay these new rates for something you aren't using that much which is actually true in my case since I don't drive a ton but will still keep it at $5 a month.

SiriusXM will try to scheme you at the end of the plan sending out your new bill a week after your plan expires which you've already rolled over into a new plan so be careful with this because if that happens you can probably get a one time courtesy of getting the new rate removed by threatening to cancel but it's not 100% that they will do this for you.

They tried to force me to pay the new bill price which I was actually told my plan would just cut off unless I paid them prior but they say that isn't the case and I would have to pay. I ask to talk to someone else who can help me and speaks English fluently since the first two people clearly were outsourced. The third person I get on the phone don't speak English well either and says I would have to pay this bill. I say to him "You mean because your support told me something that apparently was a mistake (the cancellation policy) that I have to pay for your mistakes"?

Eventually at the retentions department they said they would remove it for a one time courtesy and I was just going to cancel but they said they would give me the same plan I was in for another 6 months if I paid today. I tell them I will do this just DO NOT put me on auto pay cause I am not paying a rate four times or whatever it is for the promo.

Thread Information