Thread: Neteller is back in the US market.... sort of

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Neteller is back in the US market.... sort of

Remember Neteller?

At one time, it was a beautiful thing.

It's an e-wallet.

From about 2003-2006, nearly every online gambling (not just poker) accepted it, meaning it was very easy to move money between these sites.

In addition to very wide acceptance, it had various other advantages:

1) Sites paid fees for deposits and withdrawals, and there was no fee to withdraw to your bank account from Neteller itself.

2) "Neteller instant" allowed you to deposit money instantly using EFT, to where you would get credit now and a few days later it would come out of your bank. There was a 8.9% fee for this, but most sites covered it, meaning you didn't have to keep much in your Neteller account. You could just "instant deposit" when you needed it.

3) Huge limits, once you got established.

4) 24/7 phone customer service, which was actually pretty good. (They were a bit bitchy and nitpicky about their rules, though.)

5) INSTANT withdrawals from many sites to Neteller, especially if you had previously deposited there using Neteller. That is, if you had deposited 10k to Pokerstars, you could withdraw 10k IMMEDIATELY back to Neteller from Stars, and the remainder would still come fairly quickly.

In early 2007, the Neteller owners stupidly visited the US, and the feds grabbed them. The DOJ essentially extorted $200 million out of them (basically all of the profits of the company to date), and let them go at that point. Neteller also had to agree to stop serving US customers and freeze their balances. It took like 18 months, but we got our money back. I had about $7k locked up there.

Anyway, Neteller is back. It's now an option for WSOP.com.

We are happy to announce that WSOP.com is now accepting NETELLER deposits.

The NETELLER eWallet offers you a fast, simple and secure alternative to traditional payment methods. You can fund your NETELLER account via a number of options including VISA®, VISA® Debit, MasterCard® Debit and MasterCard®.
    Not sure if you can withdraw TO Neteller, but it would be great if it returned to what it once was, and you could use Neteller to move money easily between online poker sites without fees. For the record, I am only seeing it as a deposit option when I bring up the software.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Only good if you can withdraw that way as well.

I'm not completely up on the methods of getting like five figures off a site such as WSOP.com since I can't play on it but there might be quicker and more cost effective ones then neteller. I'm sure they can't be charging the big % to a place like WSOP.com as they did back in the day but then again they really don't have much risk in a legalized environment compared to 2004-2006.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    Only good if you can withdraw that way as well.

I'm not completely up on the methods of getting like five figures off a site such as WSOP.com since I can't play on it but there might be quicker and more cost effective ones then neteller. I'm sure they can't be charging the big % to a place like WSOP.com as they did back in the day but then again they really don't have much risk in a legalized environment compared to 2004-2006.
    Well, a lot of people have problems depositing, so this can only help.

I found that Citibank's debit card works well for depositing (and no fees).

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    NETELLER stops supporting Bitcoin after an updated company policy bans transactions using virtual currency on its network.

The popular online financial transaction operator NETELLER has decided to surge on without an interest in virtual currency, after updating their company policy to state that they now ban, ‘using NETELLER to facilitate the trade, exchange, purchase or sale of Bitcoin, or any other virtual currency.”

NETELLER is owned by the British global payments company Optimal Payments PLC. and their service is available in over 180 countries worldwide.

The news does come as the online poker world sees a steady rise in Bitcoin popularity. Americas Cardroom introduced Bitcoin deposits to the Winning Poker Network (WPN) at the start of the year, and 100% Bitcoin only poker room, Betcoin Poker, has recently been granted access to the WPN’s full suite of SNG and MTT’s for their Bitcoin users.

Thread Information