Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Laptop

Bronze
    Load Metric

New Laptop

I am in the market for a new Laptop, my current Dell is 6 years old and due for an upgrade. My question is what laptops would you recommend and is the Macbook worth the extra money. I have an iphone, ipad and Apple TV and love each of each products. I have never owed and Macbook, and would like any input.

Thanks.

Load Metric
    What do you want to use it for?

I consider the macbook pro's to be the gold standard but Im an engineer, I work a lot with the command line and I run a lot of virtual machines so I need a lot of RAM, a reasonably burly CPU, and dece battery uptime.

That said, my macbook pro is on its last legs and rather than wait another couple of months to get the new macbook pro when it drops, I copped a 17.3" MSI GE70 Apache Pro-012 last night. Its less than half the price of a macbook pro and although I lose a lot of the functionality I like, I can wipe it, load linux on it, reinstall its Windows 8 shite in a VM. Plus its got removable batteries which is a huge plus over the macbooks.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I don't use it for work. I just use it for general internet stuff. I like my other apple products so much I didn't know if it would be worth the extra money.

Load Metric
    Youre paying top dollar for a lot of horsepower and high performance with a macbook pro. If that doesnt have a lot of equity for you, there isnt a lot to be said for spending that money.

In any case, dont buy one until the new ones drop in September, if youre going that route.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Menks View Post
    I don't use it for work. I just use it for general internet stuff. I like my other apple products so much I didn't know if it would be worth the extra money.
    If you like Apple get it. But make sure you get one with a retina screen or you will be kicking yourself. On a side note my Mac book pro had the ssd die on me.
    If you want Windows get a Lenovo ThinkPad T440s or X1 Carbon
    Slava Ukraini!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantium View Post
    If you like Apple get it. But make sure you get one with a retina screen or you will be kicking yourself. On a side note my Mac book pro had the ssd die on me.
    If you want Windows get a Lenovo ThinkPad T440s or X1 Carbon

Macbooks are rapidly becoming the Jaguar's of the computer world. Im having battery issues and because I cant just buy a new fucking battery, I have to get the chassis / trackpad / battery replaced as one unit.

Fuck outta here with that.

Also I think all new gen macbooks are shipping with retina, grain of salt that tho.

Comments

4Dragons: jaguar ref

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric
    1week turnaround for new ssd, not to bad
    Slava Ukraini!

Banned
    Load Metric
    LOL @ Tine lighting up like a Christmas tree in a computer dork thread

tell us more

everybody is on the edge of their seats

thread may hit 20 pages

absolutely riveting stuff

Comments

wrenchjockey: bitches about bottomset derailing a thread, derails this one like a true hypocrite, then spends the rest of the day F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

The_Standard: you're the fucking worst you ugly old man, kill yourself

phantom: lol. tyde is god

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Tyde- You may be the most negative person. I know why you are the most hated man on the internet.

Load Metric
    I am in the market for a new Laptop, my current Dell is 6 years old and due for an upgrade. My question is what laptops would you recommend and is the Macbook worth the extra money. I have an iphone, ipad and Apple TV and love each of each products. I have never owed and Macbook, and would like any input.

Thanks.
    have had the same mac book pro 15" for many years never a problem or a virus that i know of. IMO easily worth the extra bucks also i recently purchased my wife a 13" macbook air super long battery life and ultra light and thin 1k only, comes with super clear retna display also it will sink easily with your other apple devices. enjoy.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    If you're looking for the Toyota of laptops check out ASUS.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: Who could ask for anything more rep
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    Honestly tho I got a cheap shit Asus netbook 4 solid years ago for $600 and its outlived about 3 macbooks.

Plus the wireless NIC supports packet injection.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    LOL @ Tine lighting up like a Christmas tree in a computer dork thread

tell us more

everybody is on the edge of their seats

thread may hit 20 pages

absolutely riveting stuff

Quote Originally Posted by abrown83
    I'm going to come across as a bit of a douche but I really know more about this then anyone on this board by miles.

...if Trump is nominee he wins Presidency easily. Angry Blue Collar Whites will have record turnout.

Load Metric
    Got a 2 yr old asus, heavy use, still plugging along nicely. Toyota analogy works well here.

They also give you Accidental Drop Insurance the first year free. Drops, spills, and fires covered, I think.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    What do you want to use it for?

I consider the macbook pro's to be the gold standard but Im an engineer, I work a lot with the command line and I run a lot of virtual machines so I need a lot of RAM, a reasonably burly CPU, and dece battery uptime.

That said, my macbook pro is on its last legs and rather than wait another couple of months to get the new macbook pro when it drops, I copped a 17.3" MSI GE70 Apache Pro-012 last night. Its less than half the price of a macbook pro and although I lose a lot of the functionality I like, I can wipe it, load linux on it, reinstall its Windows 8 shite in a VM. Plus its got removable batteries which is a huge plus over the macbooks.

get over yourself nerd.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'm a big fan of Asus. I bought an nice $1250 laptop from them about two years ago and the hard drive did get corrupted in it but otherwise the thing has been very good to me so far.

Load Metric
    Not really relevant but I noticed the other day that Walmart has Alienware now. I knew that crap like this would happen after the Dell buyout but building cut rate laptops will destroy their brand identity.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Alienware-...emium/34467622

Name:  Dell 14  Alienware ALW14 2189sLV Laptop with Intel Core i5 4200M Processor   Walmart.com.png
Views: 244
Size:  173.9 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post
    Not really relevant but I noticed the other day that Walmart has Alienware now. I knew that crap like this would happen after the Dell buyout but building cut rate laptops will destroy their brand identity.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Alienware-...emium/34467622

Name:  Dell 14  Alienware ALW14 2189sLV Laptop with Intel Core i5 4200M Processor   Walmart.com.png
Views: 244
Size:  173.9 KB

The thing is, the high end Alienware laptops still benchmark well. And people shopping for that sort of hardware are generally sophisticated enough to purchase based on merit not brand.

Load Metric
    asus goat

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

The thing is, the high end Alienware laptops still benchmark well. And people shopping for that sort of hardware are generally sophisticated enough to purchase based on merit not brand.
    I don't put anything past Walmart. At least once a week I have to hear some inbred fuck tell me that plasma tvs are horrible because his uncle-brother bought a shitty Sanyo plasma at Walmart 10 years ago. Walmart uses its buying power to force companies to keep making their products cheaper and cheaper until there is no quality left and their brand rep is ruined. While I recognize that the average Alienware customer isn't going to be shopping for it at walmart it's till a possibility.

The same goes for Vizio. They are digging their own graves building cut rate sets for Walmart and Costco. The average U.S. consumer isn't smart enough to understand.

Thread Information