Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Predict who will make the MLB Playoffs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Predict who will make the MLB Playoffs

So the "second half" (even though it's more like the second 40%) will start tomorrow.

Five teams will make the playoffs in each league -- 3 division winners, 2 wildcards.

Here are the current standings: http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings

AL:

I think Detroit is going to hang on to the lead (would be shocked if they didn't), and I think Baltimore will, too.

Angels and Oakland are both very good, and while I think Oakland will finish first, it will be close. Angels highly likely to be wildcard #1.

The remaining contenders are KC, Cleveland, Toronto, Yankees, and Seattle. I think Seattle will be the second wildcard, though perhaps having to play in the tough AL West will hurt them down the stretch.

NL:

This is a jumbled mess. No team leads their division by more than 1 game!

Contenders in east are Washington & Atlanta.
    Central has four: Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Cincinnati, and Milwaukee.
    West has two: Dodgers and Giants.

Three of these teams won't make the playoffs.

I think the Dodgers are too good not to outrun the Giants here, especially with Kershaw pitching the way he has been.

I think the Reds will fade, and the Pirates won't have enough this year. I believe the Cardinals will win the division, as will the Nationals. I think the Braves and Brewers will be the two wildcards.

The Giants will likely fade enough to where they won't make the postseason. They just haven't looked good.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    And also I think this will be a Dodgers-Tigers World Series.

Banned
    Load Metric
    I'll take a tigers dodgers world series, anything but the cardinals and giants at this point

Load Metric
    These are both deep & compelling arguments for Dodgers & Tigers.

Go back to the bench & think about your performance.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Whose bullpen wants it less?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Which General Manager wants it less? What are the front running GM's doing before the trade deadline?

Billy Beane pulled off a July 4 trade with the Cubs that brought Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel to an already deep rotation. Yeah, he was replacing pitchers that got hurt but he didn't wait til July 30th. He's not on summer vacation like some others.

There are numbers in regular season then there is a slightly different game in playoffs as scouting & matchups become a bigger part of the game.

Oakland is so well rounded & deep. They are pretty much set for playoff matchups - L/R Pitching vs L/R hitting.

Tigers need a lefty bat other than VMar. (If Martinez is not %100 ...) The bullpen is and always was a problem. Not playoff ready. Will the starting rotation be over pitched by October? Yeah, probably.

Fucking frustrating. Uehara & Benoit still out there. Word is Tigers are looking for a bargain. Are you kidding me? This is it for Detroit.

Go big. Do you know how many years it takes to rebuild? Wait, you do.

Lol, listening to Boston Sports talk discuss signing Scherzer next year vs Lester.

Oh, Puig is god. Amen
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 07-17-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Load Metric
    The Brewers are going to the playoffs this year by winning the NL Central.

I wish I could say that with confidence but as of right now, I can't.

Comments

nunbeater: sigh, dare to dream

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    GO JAYS GO

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    This

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    So I popped for the MLB package after the All Star break. $89. Half price I think.

Don't have a home team. Watching six rookies take the field in Boston.

I am ready to adopt a team. Fools & Their Money - Dodgers are winning me over. Puig is so damn entertaining. Got love the whole story.

Last nights "best pitcher of all time" was the sounds of a fan in the throws of some kind of ___asm. Really?

The greats win in playoffs.. 'Nuff said Druff.

Greatest in some very defined stretch of time? Immediately, I think of Fernandomania In 1981. 8-0 0.50 ERA.

And that's just the Dodgers.

He's cool and how he plays out will be fun to watch.

Comments

Prodigal son: ABBA wrote a song about Fernando a few years later

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    So I popped for the MLB package after the All Star break. $89. Half price I think.

Don't have a home team. Watching six rookies take the field in Boston.

I am ready to adopt a team. Fools & Their Money - Dodgers are winning me over. Puig is so damn entertaining. Got love the whole story.

Last nights "best pitcher of all time" was the sounds of a fan in the throws of some kind of ___asm. Really?

The greats win in playoffs.. 'Nuff said Druff.

Greatest in some very defined stretch of time? Immediately, I think of Fernandomania In 1981. 8-0 0.50 ERA.

And that's just the Dodgers.

He's cool and how he plays out will be fun to watch.
    Everyone remembers Kershaw's awful St. Louis game 6 last year, but he pitched fairly well in the other games, including a game on short rest to beat the Braves in the NLDS.

His playoff performances in 2008-2009 can't really be judged that much, because he was still young then and not the pitcher he is today (or even in 2011).

I agree if he keeps sucking in the playoffs, that will be a strike against him, but we will see. Kershaw actually doesn't get bombed very often. This is where he differs from Wainwright, who seems to have a few absolutely awful games every year. Kershaw did have a terrible game this year, but he was still rusty coming off the injury. I don't see him getting bombed again in 2014.

Puig was terrible in both the HR derby and the All Star game, but he's looked very good this season. I am a bit concerned that he has lost his power somewhat, but I'd rather see him focusing on getting base hits (which he does really well) than trying to slam it out of the park every time. The power will probably return soon.

Load Metric
    Puig is still figuring out his approach at the plate.

He was like Adrian Beltre at first. Swung at everything and hit everything. Like a Pai Gow player who wins big first time at table this was the worst thing for him. Unsustainable - I don't care what planet he comes from.

He had such faith in his supernatural ability. He almost has all the tools of the MLB's best player - Trout.

He is more selective now. He's thinking and that's good. But how does he prepare for a who's who of pitching in the All Star game? I give him a pass.

He is electric and just a kid. Epic story, escaping Cuba under the protection of Mexican syndicate bad guys who still see their relationship with Puig as ongoing. Machine guns and FBI at the World Series?

Nearly enough for me to adopt the Dodgers.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 07-17-2014 at 08:14 PM.

Load Metric
    at MLB.com one can get the current probabilities of each team making the playoffs based on current win loss record:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/pro...p?ymd=20140717

however, until the trade deadline passes, those probabilities are only indicators---there are a few players on losing teams that are likely to be traded to contenders and that will shape the odds; most significant is David Price of Tampa Bay who will cost any contender some top minor league prospects

for the Dodgers Price would cost either Pederson, Seager, Urias or a combination of those players; Ned Colletti, Dodger GM has often dealt prospects for a pennant push: Nathan Eovaldi, Ruby De La Rosa were recent examples

so which team is going to go all in this year by mortgaging its future?
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Hey Comrade!

Occurs to me, Druff, that Fidel Castro has prolly seen more Dodgers home games than you. Better cable package.

Kershaw sporting the young revolutionary Castro beard.

Sonatine should check out the Cuban cruise vacation deals on Orbitz.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  124.2 KB

Load Metric
    Hard to pick, as mentioned before, with trades still to come, but I'm leaning towards:

AL: Oakland, Detroit, Baltimore, with Angels and Seattle the wild cards. I REALLY want to predict Tampa winning the east (theyve been on a roll) but the hole they dug themselves is so deep. I wouldnt be as shocked as most people though if they pulled it off. Thats assuming they don't trade Price of course.

NL: Dodgers, Brewers, Washington, with St Louis and the Reds as the wild cards. Giants have started to fade already, and I honestly have no idea how the Braves are so good so far, with their injury/performance issues all over.

This might be a pretty anti-climatic trade deadline. After Oakland making the big early splash, and so many teams still in striking distance in their divisions and not sure whether to buy/sell/hold, there's just not many names out there. price obviously the big one, after that though? Marlon Byrd? Josh Willingham? Bartolo Colon? Curtis Granderson? Aaron Hill? not exactly game-changers by any means.

EDIT: Assuming the Rockies stand by their decree of not trying to trade Tulo or CarGo

Comments

tyde: a baseball fan ^^

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Chaps View Post
    GO JAYS GO

ban

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    smd troll

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Hard to pick, as mentioned before, with trades still to come, but I'm leaning towards:

AL: Oakland, Detroit, Baltimore, with Angels and Seattle the wild cards. I REALLY want to predict Tampa winning the east (theyve been on a roll) but the hole they dug themselves is so deep. I wouldnt be as shocked as most people though if they pulled it off. Thats assuming they don't trade Price of course.

NL: Dodgers, Brewers, Washington, with St Louis and the Reds as the wild cards. Giants have started to fade already, and I honestly have no idea how the Braves are so good so far, with their injury/performance issues all over.

This might be a pretty anti-climatic trade deadline. After Oakland making the big early splash, and so many teams still in striking distance in their divisions and not sure whether to buy/sell/hold, there's just not many names out there. price obviously the big one, after that though? Marlon Byrd? Josh Willingham? Bartolo Colon? Curtis Granderson? Aaron Hill? not exactly game-changers by any means.

EDIT: Assuming the Rockies stand by their decree of not trying to trade Tulo or CarGo
    No team has ever overcome a 9 game deficit to make playoffs in wildcard era with 80 games left, much less 67 or whatever they have left. The cinderella TB story aint happening chief, sorry.

Load Metric
    The Cubs will win sometime this century......but Bartman's great grandson will probably interfere to follow in the family footsteps.

Name:  2841932626_b0aac807e6_z.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  147.7 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    the angels are a good team. would take them over any team in the AL

Thread Information