Thread: MFL10 - Fantasy Football Geekery

Load Metric

MFL10 - Fantasy Football Geekery

These are draft-only or best ball leagues at MyFantasyLeague. ( I looked at the site last year to do a really custom league, but thought they were pricey. Did not notice these.) Entry fees are $10, 25, 50 or 100. All leagues are 12 teams, winner gets 10x buyin, second gets a free entry next year. I think other sites offer them, but not at the low ($10) end. The format is PPR with 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1RWT flex/1K/1D, scoring pretty standard. And 22 roster spots! Nothing to do but draft, scoring is best ball, no team management. Total points for the year wins.

Google has turned up discussion of 2013 strategy. Many of the podcasts I follow are abuzz with details of expert drafts. Anyone try this yet? I could see doing 10 or so this summer. I wonder how painful the draft is, since it's SLOW, 8-hour clock. I also think the average player could be sharper, since these still have that new car smell. Is the site trustworthy? I know name-brand analysts are playing there, and I'm not playing high stakes anyway. Would love to hear from someone with experience.

PS, got an email today that DraftKings bought DraftStreet.
    PPS,

hey NSA!

Name:  Hey NSA.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  157.2 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    pm me and tell me more. i might get in.

sonny

Load Metric
    MyFantasyLeague.com is complete garbage. I am pushing to have my one league leave that site because it is the worst I've played on.

I'm doing an auction league on Yahoo with no head to head schedule. Weekly winner gets a prize and season high scorers win prizes.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    MyFantasyLeague.com is complete garbage. I am pushing to have my one league leave that site because it is the worst I've played on.

I'm doing an auction league on Yahoo with no head to head schedule. Weekly winner gets a prize and season high scorers win prizes.
    This site isn't exactly aesthetically pleasing from what I saw. Since I'm only interesting in a draft and their ability to keep score, could they handle that?
    Last edited by smithbk; 07-19-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by smithbk View Post

This sight isn't exactly aesthetically pleasing from what I saw. Since I'm only interesting in a draft and their ability to keep score, could they handle that?
    Setting your lineup is terrible. Getting new players is terrible. All around terrible.

Comments

smithbk: feedback rep

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Open music, listen and read

Well I ask you Mr. Fantasy Commish. What does one do when a Hitler like you won't take on my challenge to play against you. You sound like a coward to me.

I just want to kick your #ss and you know I can do it.

Name:  10464048_863643203664743_5102462677275032452_n.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  28.3 KB

Sonny

Comments

wrenchjockey: Open casket, jump in and let the pallbearers do their thing rep
    Last edited by son of lockman; 07-15-2014 at 11:40 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by son of lockman View Post

Well I ask you Mr. Fantasy Commish. What does one do when a Hitler like you won't take on my challenge to play against you. You sound like a coward to me.

Sonny
    I have absolutely no idea what you're blathering about.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by son of lockman View Post

Sonny
    I have absolutely no idea what you're blathering about.

please don't help sonny.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Name:  Senile_31a85c_2427015.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  23.4 KB

Load Metric
    So to recap:
    - Sonny is down to play (anything)
    - Barry hates MyFantasyLeague.com
    - no MFL10 junkies respond
    - we learn how to spot a stroke

Name:  2606134-endthread.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  12.1 KB

Load Metric
    POSTMORTEM:

I finished 6 drafts. I have to say, these are a blast. It would have loved to do more, but it was difficult enough to track two at the same time, Most of the drafts took 10-12 days. They can get bogged down. Even if the pace was a little slow, the drafters were solid thinkers. I found folks in every draft reaching a round or two for the same RB/WR/TE I had queued up.

I enjoyed positions 7 and 8 most. Drafting at the turns proved difficult. Since you can't manage your way through a weak position, an unexpected run can almost ruin your draft. QB's went late, but when the run started it was sickening to wait 22 picks! I had Pick #1 once and was very disappointed with that draft. The turn at 2-3 landed in a huge gap in my WR rankings, and I missed runs on QB1 and QB2. I look forward to the best ball format. I'm not sure that folks have thought through the full effect it should have on your rankings.

The software is okay. I found one minor glitch in setting auto-picks.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by smithbk View Post
    POSTMORTEM:

I finished 6 drafts...........Most of the drafts took 10-12 days.

WTF???? You have to be committed to do this.

I reallt tried to get into fantasy sports & was actually winning money at it but I just can't watch sports like that. I just can't.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    So, it was a fruitful fantasy season, but it kept me away from here. I was in 8 regular leagues this year, and that took up far too much time. Even leagues where my team sucked initially, I gave it the old college try.

Anyway, to recap the 6 MFL 10's. This took up no time during the season, because no management is allowed. (I had a couple teams where I lost all tight ends to injury, and could do nothing about it!) I won two of these and came in second in another. (I'll get a free entry next year for the second place.) It turned out my first draft was really good, if only because everyone else drafted even worse than I did. The other one I drafted fine, but lucked out with CJ Anderson and Odell Beckham in the late rounds. I pulled away like Seattle Slew in that one.

Could just be variance, but I feel like they are worth a shot. My teams performed way ahead of my expectations. Barry is right about the site, though. The software is more about look than feel. Live scoring rarely appeared during games. They paid right away to their credit, straight to PayPal. That's the most important part.

Geeking out,
    Brian Smith

Load Metric
    Time to geek out again. I'm on my 4th draft of the year. (Since I won my first draft of 2014, I am deluded into thinking there is some edge in going early.) I'm seeing pretty solid competition, so I may have to reconsider my "table selection." The Fantasy Football podcasts get most of their current content from these, because nobody in the right mind has a regular draft this early.

The site is just as clunky this year. They are not spending any money there, DirtyB! The game is really fun. Look, I'm drafting the players I like here, just as in regular leagues. But the best-ball and points-only format is just so cool. They dropped kickers this year (bravo!), and that lowered the draft from 22 to 20 rounds. The Slow Email-style drafts (with an 8hr clock) are going better, taking only 6 to 8 days.

My plan is to play in about one a week through the preseason. I can create a private league for PFA later in August, if we have any interest.

Rules Recap:
    Draft Only PPR league rosters consist of 20 players featuring a starting lineup of 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex (RB, WR or TE), 1 Team Defense and 11 bench players. The highest-scoring players for each of these positions will automatically be placed into your starting lineup each week: THERE IS NO MANAGEMENT OF THESE TEAMS AFTER THE DRAFT. The team with the most points scored over 16 weeks of competition will be declared the winner.

Load Metric
    Well, I guess there is no groundswell of interest here for a private league. PM me if that changes.

Thread Information