Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok this one got me. Garry Shandling is fucking dead at 66.

Load Metric

Ok this one got me. Garry Shandling is fucking dead at 66.

Most of you are probably too young to appreciate The Larry Sanders Show so I expect this is going to not mean much to anyone.

But without Garry Shandling, pretty much every show you love on HBO wouldnt have happened.

Comments

MumblesBadly: The guy was brillaint.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Guy was always one of my fav's, always wondered why he dropped off the face of the earth? They mentioned that he had CF in his family, but nothing about him. Coulda had a coronary and tapped out I guess.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ian-was-878124

The comedian, whose career has spanned decades in the industry, is known for his turns with the 'Larry Sanders Show' and 'It's Garry Shandling Show.'

Garry Shandling has died at the age of 66,a Los Angeles Police Department spokesman confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.
    The Los Angeles Fire Department responded to an address reported to be Shandling's at 10:40 a.m. on "a medical emergency." The patient was then transported to Providence Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica. Shandling's publicist and agency did not return requests for comment.
    The comedian, whose career has spanned decades in the industry, is known for his turns with the Larry Sanders Show and Garry Shandling Show.
    He recently appeared in Marvel's Captain America: Civil War and Iron Man 2 as well as cameoing in a slew of comedies including The Dictator, Funny People and Zoolander.
    Born in Chicago, Shandling's family relocated to Tucson, Ariz., to help treat his older brother, Barry, who suffered from cystic fibrosis. Barry died at age 10 but the family remained.
    Shandling moved to Los Angeles in the early 1970s to give comedy writing a shot. He first earned a living writing ad copy, but his dry, cerebral wit quickly earned him staff-writer gigs on sitcoms like Sanford and Son and Welcome Back, Kotter.
    In 1977, when he was 27, Shandling was in a serious car accident in Beverly Hills that nearly killed him.
    "I had a vivid near-death experience that involved a voice asking, 'Do you want to continue leading Garry Shandling's life?'" he later wrote. "Without thinking, I said, 'Yes.' Since then, I've been stuck living in the physical world while knowing, without a doubt, that there's something much more meaningful within it all. That realization is what drives my life and work."
    From that moment on, Shandling decided to concentrate on stand-up comedy, finding the constraints of traditional sitcom writing limiting. He started performing at the Comedy Store in L.A. a year later, and quickly developed a stage person that capitalized on his real-life neuroses.
    His career-making moment — a spot on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show — came on March 18, 1981. Carson immediately warmed to Shandling and the comic was soon a regular fixture on the late-night talker, eventually replacing Joan Rivers (who Carson shunned after she left to host her own show on the fledgling Fox network in 1986) as the permanent guest host.
    In the meantime, he forged a reputation as one of premium cable's most dependable stars, headlining a series of specials for Showtime and HBO. In 1985, he also developed his first sitcom — It's Garry Shandling's Show — for Showtime. Meta before that concept was commonplace in the comedy world, the series' characters all openly acknowledged being characters in a TV comedy.
    Even its catchy theme song broke the fourth wall, with self-explanatory lyrics that describe how the song came into existence: "Garry called me up and asked if I would write his them song."
    The experimental series was a critical success in the fledgling world of scripted cable, and ran for 72 episodes on Showtime from 1986 to 1990. Fox, meanwhile, aired a toned-down version on Sunday nights from 1988 to 1990, introducing Shandling's comedy style to an even wider audience and setting the stage for his next series, the groundbreaking The Larry Sanders Show on HBO.
    In 1992, Jay Leno was named a retiring Carson's successor. Shandling was reportedly offered CBS's The Late Late Show at the time, but declined, choosing instead to work with HBO to develop a backstage series set at a late-night talk show.
    Larry Sanders premiered in August 1992 and ran through May 1998, totaling 89 half-hour episodes in all. The darkly comic show, which starred Shandling as a morose talk show host surrounded by a constantly scheming and bickering staff, took full advantage of its behind-the-scenes Hollywood milieu, with stars regularly appearing in parodied version of themselves.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Was a great show.
    Last edited by 4Dragons; 03-24-2016 at 01:34 PM.

Load Metric
    It sounds a lot like good old fashioned heart failure. Apparently he was in good health up until he dropped dead, pretty much.

Comments

bukowski72: Saw one comment where they said all the water he was retaining(bloated face) was a sign of heart problems.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    It sounds a lot like good old fashioned heart failure. Apparently he was in good health up until he dropped dead, pretty much.
    Hat tip: lewfather in the dumb and random thread from TMZ:

1:44 PM PT -- Sources familiar with the situation tell TMZ Shandling died from a massive heart attack, with no prior warning whatsoever.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/03/24/garry-shandling-dead/

Comedian Garry Shandling died at an L.A. area hospital on Thursday ... TMZ has learned. The 66-year-old star was not suffering from any illness ... as far as we know ... so, it appears this was sudden. A source connected to Shandling says he was healthy and speaking to people on Thursday morning.
    Our source says there was a 911 call from "The Larry Sanders Show" star's home, and he was transported to the hospital. We're told Shandling was alive when he arrived at the hospital.

Last weekend, Shandling was hanging with friends Kathy Griffin and Bob Odenkirk ... who also co-starred with Garry on 'Larry Sanders.'
    Video of him at link from 2 months ago, looks great.

Comments

lewfather:

Load Metric
    Most of you are probably too young to appreciate The Larry Sanders Show so I expect this is going to not mean much to anyone.

But without Garry Shandling, pretty much every show you love on HBO wouldnt have happened.

Fuck. That sucks. I started watching Larry Sanders when it started. I remember a few of us would get together and we watched Sunday night, every episode at someone's house.

If you have never seen the show or heard of it, please give it a try.

His show was basically a behind the scenes look at a late night talk show. The talk show of course wasn't real. I mean they had musical guests, and A list celebs but...

I remember people back then thinking Larry Sanders was an actual late night talk show.

Brilliant cast. Rip Torn in what I think was his best role ever.

Jeffrey Tambor. Awesome as much as he was insecure. My favorite episode was when WU was the musical guest and Tambor aka Hank Kingsley said to the group "fuck those pigs. I got parking tickets man"

Also, an unknown Jeromy Piven, Jeneane Garofolo, John Stewart and others who had yet to become mainstream at times starred in various seasons.

Comments

sonatine: "fuck those pigs. I got parking tickets man"

Load Metric
    None of those obits mentioned his hair.

Load Metric
    This blows. He was one of my favorites. Sounds like the good ol widow maker. Every man should be aware of and afraid of the widow maker.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Drexel View Post

Fuck. That sucks. I started watching Larry Sanders when it started. I remember a few of us would get together and we watched Sunday night, every episode at someone's house.

If you have never seen the show or heard of it, please give it a try.

His show was basically a behind the scenes look at a late night talk show. The talk show of course wasn't real. I mean they had musical guests, and A list celebs but...

I remember people back then thinking Larry Sanders was an actual late night talk show.

Brilliant cast. Rip Torn in what I think was his best role ever.

Jeffrey Tambor. Awesome as much as he was insecure. My favorite episode was when WU was the musical guest and Tambor aka Hank Kingsley said to the group "fuck those pigs. I got parking tickets man"

Also, an unknown Jeromy Piven, Jeneane Garofolo, John Stewart and others who had yet to become mainstream at times starred in various seasons.

Garry Shandling also went to bat for Mr Show after HBO passed on their contract after season 1. He (rightfully) said it was the funnest work being done in America at the time and if nothing else, they should sign just for the syndication rights.

And re-sign they did.

Because Garry Shandling had pull because he single handedly legitimized in-house programming in cable TV.

Load Metric

Load Metric
    And speaking of Stevie Grant....

Load Metric
    If banging this out didn't give him a heart attack you'd think nothing would. Mmmmmm

Name:  tumblr_n70krrPMlx1rfiqtbo1_500.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  128.2 KB

Comments

Gordman: :splash

Load Metric
    or this....

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  8.0 KB

Load Metric
    Name:  searles.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  119.5 KB

Load Metric
    I always remember Garry as being an over achiever with the ladies. Like it made no sense seeing him with any of the girls he was routinely with. All he did was win.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Wow, they are dropping like flies...

Load Metric
    Larry Sanders show was god! Back to back painful passings

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    http://www.miraclecovers.com

"Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

Load Metric
    Name:  fark_D92oTVXtLx55R4GLwNGVSOtWlAM.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  145.0 KB

Pretty much sums it up

Platinum
    Load Metric
    RIP
    For some reason it seems like he would be a health nut. I guess you never know.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Maher tribute from last night:

RIP

Thread Information