Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Main event hands

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Post Main event hands

I've had 4 difficult hands this day 1.

Here are 2 that happened in the past hour. I don't think anyone at the table reads this forum, and the day is just 2 hours away from being over, so fuck it.

Hand #1:
    BB with Kd7d
    150/300/25
    50k stack

UTG makes it 700. 2 cold callers. You call 400.

Flop Kc7s6c
    You check
    UTG bets 1400
    Cutoff folds
    Button (white guy, 50s with about 70k) makes it 3200
    You re-pop to 8k
    UTG grimaces and folds after thinking
    Button calls

Turn 4d
    You bet 12k
    Button makes it 25k

You have 29k behind.

??????

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Hand #2

AQ on button
    You have 54k
    150/300/25
    Folds to you.
    Raise to 700.
    SB folds
    BB (aggro young guy) makes it 2200
    You consider repopping but call and will make move on certain flops.

Flop 332 rainbow
    BB bets just 2k
    You make it 5k. To your dismay, he calls.
    You decide to check back unless you improve.

Turn Q, rainbow board
    BB checks
    You consider checking back and calling river
    Instead you fire 8k
    He thinks for about 2 min and makes it 22k
    You have about 40 behind and he has about 28 behind

??????

Load Metric
    i go broke there on the K7 hand.

imo the button is making a play, or has aces, or a set.

and you have nut outs for all of that with the two kings + ace of diamonds.

so fuck him, shove and pray because if you stack up, thats deep run equity.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    i go broke there on the K7 hand.

imo the button is making a play, or has aces, or a set.

and you have nut outs for all of that with the two kings + ace of diamonds.

so fuck him, shove and pray because if you stack up, thats deep run equity.
    Ace of diamonds doesn't help me.

I have 4 outs at best if I call from behind.

Comments

sonatine: fuck me i thought there was a diamond on the flop

Load Metric
    Hand 1

Guy has 66, muck

Hand 2

Guy has KK, muck

Load Metric
    AQ hand i hate. id call the 2k and check/call down and try to keep the pot small... but what do i do if he shoves the river?

i fold like a bitch, thats what.

Comments

GrenadaRoger: agreed
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    #2 is just gross. I'd really want to see a showdown there.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Hand #2

AQ on button
    You have 54k
    150/300/25
    Folds to you.
    Raise to 700.
    SB folds

Flop 332 rainbow
    BB bets just 2k

Turn Q, rainbow board
    BB checks
    Instead you fire 8k

??????
    Think you may have had the same hand or it was a total bluff.

Load Metric
    Hand #2

AQ on button
    You have 54k
    150/300/25
    Folds to you.
    Raise to 700.
    SB folds

Flop 332 rainbow
    BB bets just 2k

Turn Q, rainbow board
    BB checks
    Instead you fire 8k

??????
    I think you played this hand fine pre but I really don't like your raise on the flop.

What hand are you raising the flop with for value here? A 3 which you can't have? 22? Probably not. It looks suspicious as fuck.

Plus with this hand I think it's an easy call on the flop, just try and get to showdown, your going to have the best hand so much. Plus you can turn good pairs and be fine calling down. As played I'm not folding after I see the turn, but once again, you kind of put yourself in this spot with the flop raise.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    So I just busted, and the day was a combination of coolers, action-killing scare-cards, and a weird double-trap situation that robbed me of a big pot.

I also screwed one big hand royally at the end which could have chipped me up to over 75k. Instead I'm busto.

There were 6 tough hands today. I already posted two of them.

Here was the ugliest one though:

Background: After I lost a big pot and was down to under 30k (which is the starting stack), I had AQdd and raised early position pre. Blinds were 150/300/25, and I made it 700. Flatted, then got re-raised to 2100. Me and the flatter called. Flop AcQs3c. I checked, flatter checked, 3-better made it 1300. I check-raised to something like 3500. Flatter folded, 3-bettor went all-in. I called. He showed AK, board ran out J-J and I doubled to 54200, my high. That hand was NOT one of the hard ones, obviously.

Anyway, we are on the final level of the day (200/400/50) and I have about 37k. Same spaz from the hand above makes it 850. I flat with Qs8s on button, SB flats, BB folds.

Flop: 8d3d8h

Raiser makes it 1400. I make it 4000. He thinks for a bit and calls.

Turn: Td

He now fires out 6800. Much of me wanted to ship it in this guy's face, especially remembering the last retarded AK hand of his. He literally didn't think a second about shoving that AK over me on an AQ3 board.

Instead I just called. My thinking was that I would wait until the river to see if a 4th diamond hit, and then ship it in his face. He isn't putting me on an 8, so I think I'm safe to do that.

River is the ultimate blank: 2s

He ships it in. Turns out we are almost EXACTLY even in chips. He has me covered by 25. Not 25k or 2500, but 25.

If I fold, I still have 25k and change. If I call and I'm shown a flush, I am busto.

Funny enough, if I had like 35k instead of 25k behind, I call. But the thought of being busto and seeing a flush (or maybe even 33/TT/A8/K8) just was making me gun shy, especially after I called the river on Day 3 in 2012 against Amnon Filippi in a similar spot, and he showed me a full house to bust me. Honestly this one was much more begging for a call than the Filippi hand, but for whatever reason I just didn't want to bust with trips-queen-kicker here when I could have 25k behind and still play lots of poker.

So I folded.

He flashed AdKh

I took a long time to think about it, and made the wrong decision. I kept thinking there was a good chance he didn't have it, and just had the Ad with something like AT or AA, but I folded like an idiot. I also didn't bother to calculate the stack I would have had if I won (about 75k), and instead just kept thinking about busting.

So then a few hands later I get ATcc and raise. Older guy (the worst one at the table, honestly) calls from the SB. Flop is AT5 rainbow. He check/calls. I fear 55 a bit but only have 23k (I lost a small pot in between) and can't fold anymore if he does. Turn is 9. I bet 4k, he check-raises to 17k, which is the equivalent of shipping it. He has me covered, but only by a little. Too much of a chance he has A9 or A5 here (or even the other AT), so I just call and pray. He has 55. Blank river, I'm gone. I felt that hand played itself and I just got coolered, but I'm so irritated that I folded that Q8. I should have just called and accepted it was a tough spot if I busted. I would be sitting on 75 now instead of on the rail.

Load Metric
    I think the big giveaway to why I think this may be a bluff or the same hand is why is he check raising on the turn? What hands is he going to get value out of on that turn after he bet called the flop? You said that it was rainbow board and 332 ain't much of a draw either. The check raise there just seems really out of place and suspicious and weird. I think at best he had pocket 2's (1-2% of the time) and just didn't know how to play it or was hoping you had aces, most likely was a total bluff (90% of the time), and AQ is a maybe the remainder of the time.

Banned
    Load Metric

Here are 2 that happened in the past hour. I don't think anyone at the table reads this forum, and the day is just 2 hours away from being over, so fuck it.

Hand #1:
    BB with Kd7d
    150/300/25
    50k stack

Flop Kc7s6c
    You check
    UTG bets 1400
    Cutoff folds
    You re-pop to 8k
    Button calls

Turn 4d
    You bet 12k
    Button makes it 25k

You have 29k behind.

??????

why not lead out hard hitting top 2 ?

the check is curious to me, especially in a 4 way pot

maybe I'm missing something

i get that you're looking to 'trap' in that spot...but I don't see the logic in checking

based on the action , it looks like the old man has a set of Kings....or an over ambitious AA

genuinely interested why you check there

Skated Thru to PFA WP Title BHS's Avatar
    Load Metric

Hand #1:
    BB with Kd7d
    150/300/25
    50k stack

Flop Kc7s6c
    You check
    UTG bets 1400
    Cutoff folds
    You re-pop to 8k
    Button calls

Turn 4d
    You bet 12k
    Button makes it 25k

You have 29k behind.

??????
    Is the white guy in his fifties really cold calling 3 ppl on the button with 85 or 53? I doubt it.

Don't you think he would have 4bet the 2 club flop with 77 (unlikely) or 66 hoping to get value from a Kx, 98, flush draws, etc

You're winning vs a shit ton of his possible holdings (KQ, KJ, K10cc make sense) but will still have to dodge some river variance as I'm sure he has to have a handful of outs a lot of the time there..

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In the hands I posted above:

#1: I folded. I put him on 66, or maybe even a freakish 77. This guy had the total look of a rock. After watching him play awhile, indeed he was. I was new to the table at this point, but this just screamed "flatting with 66 and popping the turn if no club hits". Also, the slightly-over-min raise was indicative of someone who wanted a call. I thought if he had a king with clubs, he's just shipping it and hoping I'm folding 2 pair. I think I made the right move here.

#2: I folded. I agree with SpewArtist that I probably shouldn't have raised the flop, but I was hoping he was going to lay down a non-pair, as I hadn't seemed out of line in any hands at this point, and not being young I thought he would respect my raises. Anyway, I considered he had AQ like me, or maybe even KQ, or maybe even something like TT and he didn't believe I had a Q due to my flop raise. Almost shipped it on him, but what bothered me was that he was 12k shorter than me and pretty much committed himself with that 22k raise. Like ThreeBet, I put him on KK and laid it down.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post
    I think the big giveaway to why I think this may be a bluff or the same hand is why is he check raising on the turn? What hands is he going to get value out of on that turn after he bet called the flop? You said that it was rainbow board and 332 ain't much of a draw either. The check raise there just seems really out of place and suspicious and weird. I think at best he had pocket 2's (1-2% of the time) and just didn't know how to play it or was hoping you had aces, most likely was a total bluff (90% of the time), and AQ is a maybe the remainder of the time.
    That's not what I thought at all.

I thought he had KK/AA and put me on a pair like 88/99, and decided on the flop to let me hang myself. Then when I fired with the Q, he probably had to think for a second (why am I betting so strong with the overcard hitting?) and then said "Fuck it, if he has 22 or A3, I guess I'll go broke."

I think I made either the right laydown or was chopping on this one.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Headshot View Post

Hand #1:
    BB with Kd7d
    150/300/25
    50k stack

Flop Kc7s6c
    You check
    UTG bets 1400
    Cutoff folds
    You re-pop to 8k
    Button calls

Turn 4d
    You bet 12k
    Button makes it 25k

You have 29k behind.

??????
    Is the white guy in his fifties really cold calling 3 ppl on the button with 85 or 53? I doubt it.

Don't you think he would have 4bet the 2 club flop with 77 (unlikely) or 66 hoping to get value from a Kx, 98, flush draws, etc

You're winning vs a shit ton of his possible holdings (KQ, KJ, K10cc make sense) but will still have to dodge some river variance as I'm sure he has to have a handful of outs a lot of the time there..
    This guy had the "rock" look and not someone who is going to shoot off 50k of his 70k stack with KQ/KJ top pair. King with clubs is possible, but why is he just min-raising the turn? If he has clubs, he's obv calling a re-raise, so why not just ship it in and raise the chance I fold? The min-raise just screamed set to me (along with an older guy flatting an EP raise from the button), so I didn't like the spot at all.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post

Hand #1:
    BB with Kd7d
    150/300/25
    50k stack

Flop Kc7s6c
    You check
    UTG bets 1400
    Cutoff folds
    You re-pop to 8k
    Button calls

Turn 4d
    You bet 12k
    Button makes it 25k

You have 29k behind.

??????

why not lead out hard hitting top 2 ?

the check is curious to me, especially in a 4 way pot

maybe I'm missing something

i get that you're looking to 'trap' in that spot...but I don't see the logic in checking

based on the action , it looks like the old man has a set of Kings....or an over ambitious AA

genuinely interested why you check there
    I was trapping and felt that someone is going to fire at it, whether a bluff (in which case I get fold-fold when I raise) or a king where I get some kind of value before maybe running him off.

Just about sure he didn't have KK here because he would have 3-bet that pre. AA is possible but already two others in the hand besides him (before I called), so I didn't see a guy like that slowplaying AA.

66 looked highly likely.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Earlier 2 tough hands:

I had 21k coming into the final hand before the break. 50/100 blinds. Early position makes it 250, I find AA in the BB. Folds to me, I make it 800, he calls.

Flop: AcQs3c

I bet 1100. He calls.

Turn 5d.

I want to bet here, but I'm thinking the flop call means he has either an ace or flush draw, and my a check looks like I'm waving the white flag with TT/JJ/KK. So I check.

He checks.

River Js.

I bet 4k. He thinks for a minute or two and calls. I show AA, he yells, "FUCK!!! FUCK!!"

Then he turns to his friend (who was ready to walk with him during break) and says, "I had AQ. I could've lost way more."

He then tweeted about the hand, so I'm pretty sure he wasn't lying. (He wasn't aware I was reading his Twitter.)

After the break he told me he was going to re-raise me if I bet the turn. Damn.

Would you have bet that turn or tried for a check-raise?

I'm kinda thinking now that betting would be better, as it would induce a raise from AQ/QQ/33, and he would be committed enough by that raise to call my shove at that point. But on the other hand, if he has a flush draw here and bets it, then I can get him committed in that way, and perhaps if he has a naked A.

Load Metric
    In the hands I posted above:

#1: I folded. I put him on 66, or maybe even a freakish 77. This guy had the total look of a rock. After watching him play awhile, indeed he was. I was new to the table at this point, but this just screamed "flatting with 66 and popping the turn if no club hits". Also, the slightly-over-min raise was indicative of someone who wanted a call. I thought if he had a king with clubs, he's just shipping it and hoping I'm folding 2 pair. I think I made the right move here.

#2: I folded. I agree with SpewArtist that I probably shouldn't have raised the flop, but I was hoping he was going to lay down a non-pair, as I hadn't seemed out of line in any hands at this point, and not being young I thought he would respect my raises. Anyway, I considered he had AQ like me, or maybe even KQ, or maybe even something like TT and he didn't believe I had a Q due to my flop raise. Almost shipped it on him, but what bothered me was that he was 12k shorter than me and pretty much committed himself with that 22k raise. Like ThreeBet, I put him on KK and laid it down.
    GG anyways Druff. These two hands were super gross spots plus the trip 8's hand and some of the coolers you already mentioned, just a brutal day imo.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post
    That's not what I thought at all.

I thought he had KK/AA and put me on a pair like 88/99, and decided on the flop to let me hang myself. Then when I fired with the Q, he probably had to think for a second (why am I betting so strong with the overcard hitting?) and then said "Fuck it, if he has 22 or A3, I guess I'll go broke."

I think I made either the right laydown or was chopping on this one.
    What I'm saying though is what value does he get out of raising there? If he knows he has you beat with the exception of a couple hands why would he raise there and not see a river with no draws out? He's losing value by raising there and it seems like he's just trying to push a better hand out. You're on the button so he's naturally going to defend preflop with any two cards if he's aggressive as you're saying he was. If he had a 3 here and knew you were willing to lead out there's no reason for him to check to raise. Check call is going to get him the most value for his hand here.

Say you call and the river is like a 6. He's going to have to check back to you to get his value because if he shoves there's no way you can call and naturally you're going to check given your hand. All he can really do is check and hope you lead out again so he can get max value. The check raise is indicating to me that he was really weak. I put him on 77-99's at best but that's giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Thread Information