Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: this bees how good I run

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric

this bees how good I run

Clippers down 21 points at end of third quarter last night. A dealer kid I know tells me to give him 10/1 on 50 bucks that the Clippers will rally. I snap call. There goes 500 bucks.

I'd almost forgotten there for a minute I live in a dream world.

Load Metric
    daaaaammmmmmnnnnn bro. thats harsh. your pay day was

Load Metric
    That game was astounding. I had it on mute, and would casually glance at it on occasion, and then couldn't believe what I was seeing. Be happy he didn't offer you the bet at the 8 minute mark down by 24, you would have snap accepted(correctly) 50-1. I have never seen a team go to sleep like that unless it was a horrible team with an unexpected large lead over a much better team. Never two equally talented teams. I was wondering what those with money on it were thinking. I have a small futures bet on the Grizzlies, so I guess I have some small pain, but that is still recoverable if they aren't completely mind-fucked after doing that. Really one of the more improbable things that I've ever witnessed in sports.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Clippers down 21 points at end of third quarter last night. A dealer kid I know tells me to give him 10/1 on 50 bucks that the Clippers will rally. I snap call. There goes 500 bucks.

I'd almost forgotten there for a minute I live in a dream world.
    My worst horse betting experience was like 15 years ago. I only gambled for small money back then.

There was a planned matchup of two really good horses at Hollywood Park, and then four relatively slow ones just to fill up the rest of the spots.

At the last minute, they scratched one of the two fast horses. Another horse also got scratched.

This left the one fast one against three really slow ones.

Hollywood Park's system could not go lower than 1:20 -- at least at the time. That is, you would win $1 for every $20 bet.

Horse betting is not like sports. If you bet on a line in sports, you get that line, regardless of how much it moves later. With horses, it is a parimutuel system, which means that essentially everyone is betting against each other, and the house takes a commission (which is why it's legal in California). Basically, they take the pool of money bet, subtract the house commission, and then distribute it (at the same payout odds) to all of the winning tickets.

So you don't really have a true "line" on the horse you've bet on until they have stop accepting bets.

Anyway, with 4 horses going, they had an option to bet on either "win" (horse finishes first) or "place" (horse finishes either first or second).

I noticed that the fast horse was listed as 1:20 for both win and place, and that everyone in the house was hammering it since it couldn't go any lower than 1:20.

I obviously bet on place, since it paid the same as win, and figured I was getting big time EV here since the horse was virtually guaranteed to finish first or second (out of four), and the parimutuel payout was supposed to be far lower than 1:20.

I'm not sure what they were supposed to do by law in this situation (because you're actually betting against the house here, to some degree), but that wasn't my concern.

Anyway, little did I know that the fast horse had some kind of internal bleeding problem, but they ran him anyway, and he came in a distant 4th. I still remember watching in disbelief as I was about to lose $200 in attempt to win $10.

I actually screamed, "Nooooooooooooo!" as he fell way behind at the end -- something that my friends imitated over the years whenever something bad appeared to be happening.

After the race, the entire stadium erupted in loud boos, and I was afraid there was going to be a riot. A few people (and the house) got rich off that race, while the rest of us collectively lost about $2 million.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    That game was astounding. I had it on mute, and would casually glance at it on occasion, and then couldn't believe what I was seeing. Be happy he didn't offer you the bet at the 8 minute mark down by 24, you would have snap accepted(correctly) 50-1. I have never seen a team go to sleep like that unless it was a horrible team with an unexpected large lead over a much better team. Never two equally talented teams. I was wondering what those with money on it were thinking. I have a small futures bet on the Grizzlies, so I guess I have some small pain, but that is still recoverable if they aren't completely mind-fucked after doing that. Really one of the more improbable things that I've ever witnessed in sports.
    Not the same thing here, but I had a friend who always left early from Dodgers games to beat the traffic.

I told him it was stupid to do that, because he was robbing himself of the chance to see an epic and exciting comeback, but he laughed at me and told me that he saved an 30-60 minutes every time from less exit traffic, and that I was foolish to stay until the end just to see the inevitable.

So he went to one game and the Dodgers were down 6-1 in the 8th, so he took off. He probably felt good about himself as he was driving away and they didn't score in the 8th, but they mounted a huge comeback in the 9th and ended up winning 7-6 in very exciting fashion.

He heard it on the radio and tried to turn around and get back to the stadium to see the end of it, but he was too late.

BTW, the Lakers had a huge 4th quarter comeback against Portland (I think down like 17) in the 2000 playoffs.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I need to share this story because it just made me sick thinking about it.

In 1999 the Mets were playing I think the Braves in the National League Championship. I bet close to my entire life roll on the game. At the time, I think it was around 11k. Well I bet the entire 11k on the over, which was 8 1/2.

In the bottom of the 15th inning, The Braves were ahead 3-2. Then the bases were loaded and the Braves walked a run in, making it 3-3. I needed 3 runs for the win, and I knew that I needed a GrandSlam. Well Robin Ventura stepped up to the plate and crushed a grandslam, making the total 10. I was so friggin excited, I really think I shit myself.

Well it wasn't till the next day where I read in the paper that his grandslam didn't count, and that only the run on third counted since he was the only one to cross the plate. This was simply because he never crossed the plate. His teammates mobbed him on the field, and he never made it home. Of course the bookies honored the final score of 4-3. Making me an 11k loser.
    Of all the money e'er I had, I spent it in good company

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTemplar View Post

In 1999 the Mets were playing I think the Braves in the National League Championship. I bet close to my entire life roll on the game. At the time, I think it was around 11k. Well I bet the entire 11k on the over, which was 8 1/2.

In the bottom of the 15th inning, The Braves were ahead 3-2. Then the bases were loaded and the Braves walked a run in, making it 3-3. I needed 3 runs for the win, and I knew that I needed a GrandSlam. Well Robin Ventura stepped up to the plate and crushed a grandslam, making the total 10. I was so friggin excited, I really think I shit myself.

Well it wasn't till the next day where I read in the paper that his grandslam didn't count, and that only the run on third counted since he was the only one to cross the plate. This was simply because he never crossed the plate. His teammates mobbed him on the field, and he never made it home. Of course the bookies honored the final score of 4-3. Making me an 11k loser.
    Wow, that one is awful.

Load Metric
    Yeah risking 500 to win 50 isn't my cup of tea either. If I wasn't up around 1500 at the time in the poker game I was in I prolly woulda asked him to switch it to me risking 50 to win 5. I just estimated the odds of this happening to be somewhere over 20-1 so I thought it was a sucker bet for him and an easy 50 bucks.

Load Metric

I remember that happening, his walkoff grandslam is in the books as a double or a single I believe
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Load Metric
    I have so many weird beat sports betting experiences. Some where so painful I blipped them from my brain. I do remember a positive one though. It was way back in the day and I was betting quarter lines in football. About 3 seconds to go in the first quarter and my only out is for the team I'm betting against to turn the ball over and my team to run it back in this one play. I got my pick six.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I love when something happens in sports that to some people might just look like a regular play. Yet to the gambler it's a miracle lol.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post

I remember that happening, his walkoff grandslam is in the books as a double or a single I believe
    Yeah it def is a single. Anymore than that, and more runs would of scored.

That isn't even my worst gambling bad beat story, or even close. I once bet a $200 superfecta straight, at Saratoga Race Course. It hit, and with the odds of the 4 horses, I was most likely a Millionaire. That was of course until the inquiry light popped up on the scoreboard.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Wow, those are some sad beats.

I first learned of this Stu Ungar tale after reading "One of a Kind" by Nolan Dalla and Peter Alson.

Here's Barstool Sports take in pertinent part:

"...In March of 1990, after blowing nearly all of his $1.8 million earnings from a Pick 6 win at Santa Anita just 6 months earlier, Stuey bet $70,000 of his remaining $70,300 bankroll that the Julio Caesar Chavez/Meldrick Taylor fight would go the full 12 rounds. Talk about a bad beat?! In one of the most controversial endings in boxing history (with Stuey in attendance no less) referee Richard Steele prematurely stopped the fight with 2 seconds left in the 12th round costing Taylor the title, Steele his reputation, and Stuey 70 grand. Busted except for $300, Ungar called it the 'worst beat I ever took in gambling'."

I was fortunate to attend many big fights in Las Vegas and saw Chavez fight a couple of times but that one I watched on TV. It was a good fight. Taylor was leading on two scorecards but stood and traded with Chavez in the final round.

Chavez cemented his legendary status, kept fighting; Taylor took a beating and was never the same fighter while Steele's stoppage was the first of several questionable calls that tainted his career.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Jesus Christ.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Last one for the night,

The first week of football I have ever bet, my buddy Dave and I were down about $600 on my fathers account. I think we were 15.

Well we went all out on the Monday night game. to my recollection I think it may have been the Houston Oilers? Anyways, We bet the entire $600 on the over. The line was 35 1/2. At the half, the score was 30-3. I went to bed feeling fantastic.

The final score, 30-3.

Load Metric
    This isn't as much a bad beat as it was a lost chance to completely change my life at the time. In 2001, back when I still wagered online, I had been having a good year on college football so I decided one week that I would parlay all of my picks for $50 in case I ran the table. Back then Betus.com paid 1000 to 1 on a ten teamer.

Somehow I covered the first nine games and was ready to quit college and try gambling full time if I pulled off the tenth game. The tenth game was Arkansas at Ole Miss and I had Ole Miss -6.5 and it was the Eli Manning's sophomore year. Ole Miss was coming off of wins over both Alabama and Lsu and I thought that they had Arkansas badly outmatched so I thought I was a lock. Instead the game went to seven overtimes with me still having multiple chances to win but it wasn't to be and my tax free $50k disappeared.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post
    This isn't as much a bad beat as it was a lost chance to completely change my life at the time. In 2001, back when I still wagered online, I had been having a good year on college football so I decided one week that I would parlay all of my picks for $50 in case I ran the table. Back then Betus.com paid 1000 to 1 on a ten teamer.

Somehow I covered the first nine games and was ready to quit college and try gambling full time if I pulled off the tenth game. The tenth game was Arkansas at Ole Miss and I had Ole Miss -6.5 and it was the Eli Manning's sophomore year. Ole Miss was coming off of wins over both Alabama and Lsu and I thought that they had Arkansas badly outmatched so I thought I was a lock. Instead the game went to seven overtimes with me still having multiple chances to win but it wasn't to be and my tax free $50k disappeared.

I've been in similar spots where I had money on one site and everything happened too fast and I was unable to hedge. Not trying to downplay your story or anything. My payoffs were probalby a lot smaller.

Banned
    Load Metric
    I just feel so much better after reading about these terrible beats.

This thread has help me purge all betting misery.

Load Metric
    Here is my worst sports betting beat. A little background first.

My friends and I were all huge baseball fans growing up. We started playing fantasy baseball in grade school and when we got computers in junior high we started playing Micro League baseball. It was a simulation game using stats from the all time great teams in history. Anyway, I got very good at evaluating stats and players.

I was always a Twins fan and watched as many games as possible since they were the home town team. In 1990 though, when I was a junior in H.S. we got cable and I was able to watch a ton of Cubs and Braves games too. Which was cool since I was in a NL only continuing play by mail league called Scoresheet baseball. I really liked the young talent the braves had that year and became a huge fan even though like the Twins, they finished dead last in their division that year. My friends had great fun mocking me for raving about the last place Braves.

Before the 1991 season started a friend of mine was talking shit about the Braves and I said something to the effect that I thought they had a good chance to make the playoffs with all that young talent. He's like "you wanna bet!", I snap called and he ended up giving me 5,000 to 1 odds on $5 bet. If the Braves won the World Series he would owe me $25k!

You all know what happened. Against all odds I ended up having to root against my beloved Twins in the best World Series of all time. When Bobby "sucks" Cox brought in Charlie Liebrandt to face Kirby Puckett in game 6 I was cursing and screaming at the TV before he even threw a pitch. I knew the game was over, and I will never forgive Cox for that asinine move that cost me 25 large and even more important the ability to hold it over my buddy for the rest of our lives. Sigh.
    "Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed. " -Mark Twain

twitter.com/jvferg72

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post

I've been in similar spots where I had money on one site and everything happened too fast and I was unable to hedge. Not trying to downplay your story or anything. My payoffs were probalby a lot smaller.
    Damn SB that is sick, and BGC I know how you feel. I ran into a spot a long time ago where I made a ridiculous parlay and needed the 9th or 10th team to win. I know it would of paid me something like 40k. I would of loved to hedge it, but simply I couldnt find someone who would take a bet for like 20k.

Thread Information