Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buy a piece of Bryan Micon in the 2014 WSOP

Load Metric

Buy a piece of Bryan Micon in the 2014 WSOP

I got into btc when Micon was pushing them hard a few yrs ago. It wasnt because I thought they were a good investment or any love for crypto, I just was all excited about buying drugs online. I dont do drugs anymore thanks to my bitch ex and her custody shit but thats another story for another time. Well the damn btc grew on me and while I am not a big collector of them I still follow the whole community. I also post on bitcointalk.org though I avoid the Micon threads cuz I dont want him linking who I am from old DD. Hes prob too stoned to remember me or my writing style but I like being anon there.

About a month ago I saw his staking thread but didnt post it here cuz everyone jumped my shit for posting too much about him here, which I probably do, so I just kept quiet. Now that wsop has started I felt it was relevant to post. I like comparing Druffs and Micons results each year and seeing which one of these Jews is doing better. You know that those two fuckers are secretly birding each others results out of morbid curiosity. Last yr Druff won but the year before they both had shit results.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=593364.0

Here is Micons spreadsheet but I cant figure out for the life of me wtf it all means. I can see he is planning to play $62k worth of events and I see which ones but after that its fucking gibberish to me. Looks like he sold off 30% at 12.5% markup tho. Cant tell if he is selling per event or across the board. I think across the board.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...1ZkhERkE#gid=0

Read the bitcointalk thread though, it is solid gold.

I estimate my mix game MTT ROI to be ~150% and I sell at ~112%.

Comments

zealanddonk: The lolz never stop

Platinum
    Load Metric
    150% for only 112%

LOCK OF THE SUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMER

BEG BORROW STEAL!!!!!
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Load Metric
    Early Eliminations
    Posted 21 minutes ago Chad_Holloway • Level 2 SHARE
    Aditya Prasetyo Busted
    Jarod Ludemann Busted
    Alex Rocha Busted
    Bryan Micon Busted
    Kevin Saul Busted
    -Allergic to the struggle

Load Metric
    As I read the sheet, it seems Micon:

sold his action at a 12.5% premium over the buy-in

he sold only 30.5% of his action total

actually received $17,500 of cash for 25% of his action, but he swapped 5.5% of his action for pieces of 3 other players

there were only 10 buyers/investors (smart move, that way there are fewer people to avoid when the bust out happens)

he claims a +150% ROI on the mixed games, but the buy-ins for mixed games come to only $20,000; there are another $42,000 of buyins planned for single game events (largest are NLHE of course), and no ROI figure is offered for those games

the question is, is there a limit/control on drawing on stake money for entries?? ideally, he should pay for each buyin using 75% of his money and 25% of stake money (rookie question sorry)...or will he have access to all $17,500 from the start and if the stake is used up before all events are entered, will Micon guarantee his paying to enter the remaining events?

Also, if he doesn't play all of the $62,000 of events-planned, will he refund a ratable portion of the stake money?

Conversely, if he gets a big cash early, are the investors locked into his playing only the rest of the series events planned, or can Micon degen add other events in excess of the the planned $62,000 of entries?

I didn't see a contract spelling out plans/details/contingencies

Comments

zealanddonk: setting fire to $62k rep
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 05-29-2014 at 02:57 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Micon is big on visions, small on details.
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Load Metric

Comments

GrenadaRoger: = 1000 words!

badguy23: lol

gauchojake: Lol

Indyrick: Owning the thread rep

Load Metric
    To be completely fair, all of my dealings with Micon have been above board and he's a cool guy, but it was just right there staring at me.

Load Metric
    Micon is a postmodern Bill Filmaff sans the humor

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  45.3 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  129.6 KB

Old vids still crack me up.

I have recently traded emails with him. His schtick hasn't changed one lick in 10 years.

112% markup... Mike McDonald's Bank of Timex was a license to print money as he arbitraged financial stupidity and inflated egos.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 05-29-2014 at 05:26 PM.

Banned
    Load Metric
    I have witnessed people at the WSOP walk up to Micon and ask him if he's Bill Filmaff. Apparently he gets that all the time.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    I have witnessed people at the WSOP walk up to Micon and ask him if he's Bill Filmaff. Apparently he gets that all the time.
    Its 100% the Ears!!

Load Metric
    It astounds me what poker players can get away with in the mark up that they charge.

For someone who got left behind in the game years ago - it's nothing short of outrageous that Micon even has the audacity to ask for a Mark Up - nevermind 12.5% worth of it.

Even Chinamaniac at 17% - what the fuck is that all about?

Maybe I'm missing something. But raking in $10,179 while still holding 13% of himself is beyond laughable IMO

Could get on board with a fish laden $1500 event. But 17% in a 10k'er that'll brimming with the worlds best is a bit of a piss take.

Would expect a fair amount of positive history in huge buy-in events to even think about 10%+ (maybe he has I dunno?)

That said. He did get rid, so fair play. And I genuinely hope he goes on to make a good score.
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    It astounds me what poker players can get away with in the mark up that they charge.

For someone who got left behind in the game years ago - it's nothing short of outrageous that Micon even has the audacity to ask for a Mark Up - nevermind 12.5% worth of it.

Maybe I'm missing something. But raking in $10,179 while still holding 13% of himself is beyond laughable IMO

Could get on board with a fish laden $1500 event. But 17% in a 10k'er that'll brimming with the worlds best is a bit of a piss take.

Would expect a fair amount of positive history in huge buy-in events to even think about 10%+ (maybe he has I dunno?)

That said. He did get rid, so fair play. And I genuinely hope he goes on to make a good score.
    It's just a market and that's what I charged and is a lot less than what I charged in years past where I was getting 20-30 % freeroll on my action. But to be fair those were 3k buyins and less and I nearly final tabled twice out of the 4 or 5 LHE events I played which were all filled with good players on late into day 1 and all good players on days 2/3 for the most part .

I don't have any experience in any LHE events above 3k but I would estimate I have more experience playing limit hold em than prob 95 + % of this field and I am probably sharper than most of them as I have probably logged in over 500,000 hands in the past year and millions lifetime while a lot of these "best in the world" guys you speak of probably don't even play the game anymore and a lot of these "best in the world" type guys arent as good as people probably think. Some yes , a lot of them no.

Games keep getting tougher but I keep beating them year after year on every site I play.

Comments

GrenadaRoger: China: winner + honest + communicates = premium for his BAP's

Silver
    Load Metric
    BUY A PIECE? I'M BUYING THE WHOLE GODDAMN PIE!

Comments

4Dragons: someone has the munchies again

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The $5k-$10k limit event (buyin keeps changing) is actually a better value than a lot of you think, provided you play it correctly.

I mentioned this on the last radio show.

Prior to 2012, it was actually a fairly tough and crapshooty event. While there were a surprising number of bad and mediocre limit hold 'em players entering, there were also plenty of really good ones, and it was hard to take advantage of the fish because of the structure. This structure had blinds that were too low at the beginning (making it meaningless), yet rose too quickly to where it became too much of a card-catching contest. While the fish/semi-fish were still dead money, it was almost random as to who would end up with their chips, as it pretty much just became a matter of who got the best hands once the blinds rose enough to become meaningful. I did cash in the event once with this structure (19th in 2008), but I'll be the first to admit that much of this involved catching cards at the right times. I actually won very little from the fish that year, and just managed to win pots against the good players whenever I got really low on chips. Then the reverse happened -- I took two really bad beats on big pots against Eric Froehlich and Mike Mizrachi, and I was gone.

In 2012, Daniel Negreanu did something really good and convinced them to change the structure. They eliminated the meaningless low-blind rounds, and started the whole thing to where it was immediately meaningful. Then they held the levels the same for 2 hours, and they rose slowly. With $15k in chips, you started out playing 200-400, and finished playing 500-1000 after 8 hours of poker on Day 1. This was a HUGE difference, as it allowed you to get a lot of play in versus the fish, and it became much more a matter of skill in taking their chips than lucking into a few hands with them at the higher blind levels.

But with the fish busting early with either structure, why does it matter? How could I claim that this helped me versus the good players?

Because my greatest strength in limit holdem has always been beating the fish. There are some really great limit hold 'em players that give me a really hard time when we play hands together, but many are clueless when it comes to extracting the maximum from fish. It's two entirely different strategies. The more opportunity I have to play against the fish, the better I do.

Since the change in the structure, I was able to repeatedly crush the bad players at the table on the first day, and build up a decent stack. Day 2 and Day 3 then require some rungood, as most of the fish are gone. In 2012, I ran only mediocre on Day 2, and eventually had the heartbreak of losing 4 straight hands to be the stone bubble boy. In 2013, I ran great on Day 2, finsihing as the chip leader, before a mediocre Day 3 made me settle for 5th.

But anyway, I will say that China has made his living over the past several years primarily playing fish, so this structure benefits him, as well.

This isn't to say that I'm guaranteeing we will cash or run deep. Last time China played this, he ran about as bad as one possibly could, and was out quickly. But that would have happened to anyone with the cards he got. That might happen to me or him this year, too, but the "Negreanu changes" have made me really look forward to this event, unlike previous years where I wasn't excited about it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BTW, this year's structure is even better, with 30k starting chips, starting with 200-400, and playing 10 hours without going above 500-1000.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post

It's just a market and that's what I charged and is a lot less than what I charged in years past where I was getting 20-30 % freeroll on my action. But to be fair those were 3k buyins and less and I nearly final tabled twice out of the 4 or 5 LHE events I played which were all filled with good players on late into day 1 and all good players on days 2/3 for the most part .

I don't have any experience in any LHE events above 3k but I would estimate I have more experience playing limit hold em than prob 95 + % of this field and I am probably sharper than most of them as I have probably logged in over 500,000 hands in the past year and millions lifetime while a lot of these "best in the world" guys you speak of probably don't even play the game anymore and a lot of these "best in the world" type guys arent as good as people probably think. Some yes , a lot of them no.

Games keep getting tougher but I keep beating them year after year on every site I play.
    China put the BAP out there in a very low key way. He didn't "sell it" or hustle it. China conducts himself with a lot of class.

China extracted maximum value from the market. By market, my first gut feeling is the mathematically challenged / fish.

The whole mark up issue has been covered thoroughly. (I got an erection the first time I read about the Bank of Timex and still feel this was obvious pure genius in a game where there is little original thinking) If you can extract maximum value, well applause - that is what the game of poker is all about.

I recognize those who bought shares did so for reasons other than mathematical expectation. Did China outplay the BAP market - just as he will likely outplay the tournament players? Maybe. Maybe China set up a pure "win win" exchange.

I have a hunch most of the folks who bought stakes did so with the intent to derive some entertainment value from sweating someone they feel they know or can identify with. So while the math doesn't work the backers aren't fish. Entertainment premium was paid. China is good enough to provide realistic hope for his backers. That's fun and worth paying for, I guess.

I have a lot of respect for China for many reasons. I like his story and wish him all the best.

I think China's BAP was a very smart proposition executed in a classy way.

Freerolling!
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 05-30-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Load Metric
    Name:  legit.JPG
Views: 814
Size:  89.9 KB

Name:  woods.JPG
Views: 761
Size:  23.9 KB

Comments

4Dragons: HOF

DRK Star: needs more freaks photoshopped into the background

Baron Von Strucker: good post. lol helmuth injecting himself were ever he can

nunbeater: nice

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4BET View Post
    Early Eliminations
    Posted 21 minutes ago Chad_Holloway • Level 2 SHARE
    Aditya Prasetyo Busted
    Jarod Ludemann Busted
    Alex Rocha Busted
    Bryan Micon Busted
    Kevin Saul Busted
    I guess now his ROI on mixed events is down to 149%

Comments

Muck Ficon: :rimshot

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    In before Micon frames that photo and places candles around it, on his nightstand

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Micon just stone bubbled the Razzament. nh Huck Seed.

Comments

4Dragons: Bubble stoned is the new bubble tea

Thread Information