Thread: Fastest driving times 200 miles or more

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Fastest driving times 200 miles or more

I have slowed down my driving some as I've aged, but I still am one of the faster cars on the road. I actually believe that, provided you keep your car in control, being one of the faster cars is a safety advantage. (Yes, you read that right.) That's because you are seeing everything coming up, and you are unlikely to get clipped from behind. My parents actually witnessed a fatal accident last year where a guy was clipped from behind on I-15, hit the wall, and his vehicle flipped.

If someone is driving recklessly, it's better to see it up ahead than have it surprise you from behind.

Anyway, my two best-ever driving times were:

1) Reno to Las Vegas, 450 miles, 2008. I made it in 5 hours, 20 minutes. Average speed = 84.4 MPH

2) Las Vegas to Buena Park, CA, 270 miles, 2000. I made it in 3 hours, 10 minutes. Average speed = 85.3 MPH

Finishing with an average speed in the mid-80s is tough because you will inevitably have to slow down at some points due to traffic, presence of cops, construction, small towns where speed limit is much lower, surface streets, etc.

My highest speed ever driven was 120, though I didn't maintain that speed. I did it on that long flat stretch between the bottom of the hill right before Primm, going northbound on I-15. It was during the day and I could see there were no cops around, and there were no other cars around, either, so it was the safest time and place to do this. I sped up to 120 just to say I drove 120 once, then slowed back down.

I have never maintained a speed above 100 because it's considered reckless driving (a misdemeanor) in most states.

There are tiny stretches in Texas with 85 MPH speed limits. There are much larger areas in other states (Idaho, Utah, Wyoming) with 80 MPH speed limits. I have never driven in these areas, at least not since the speed limit went up that high. The highest speed limit where I've driven have been some of the 75 areas in Nevada, such as between Las Vegas and Laughlin.

Comments

badguy23: Spritle Rep

Load Metric
    Just out of curiosity what day and what time did you do your Buena Park to Vegas trip.

My record is 3 hours 15 minutes from Anaheim Hills to completely parked at the Bellagio parking structure. That was done on a Sunday this past November starting at 8 am.

At any other time of the day the 91 is at a standstill.

Load Metric
    I decided after meeting with my last account of the day that instead of getting a hotel for the night, I would just play golf, eat dinner and then head home from Des Moines, IA to Schaumburg IL.

It took me about 3 hours and 30 minutes or so. Its around 325 miles. I left around 11:45pm and was basically pushing over 120 from the IA border to Schaumburg because no one was on the road at that hour.

I had a Dodge Intrepid and that car seemed to driver better the faster you drove. Not the wisest decision I have ever made, but I wanted to sleep in my own bed that night. Would not repeat.

Banned
    Load Metric
    ^Average speed of 92.85 MPH for the lazy.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Saddlesore 1000 (1000mi in 24hr or less on a motorcycle) several years ago. There were three of us riding together (the route was San Diego, north past Yosemite, down through NV into Vegas, and finish in Laughlin). A friend of a guy in my group shows up, and asks if it would be ok if he rode with us. We took one look and said we were seriously reluctant for many reasons, but, if he could keep on our pace, and ride safe, no problem. This isn't a race, but, you need to average 50mph for 20 straight hours, so you can't fuck around and lollygag either. This douche was on some POS Harley, completely under-geared for the ride, and looked like he hadn't ridden more than 200miles in a day before before. We gave one last ground rule - if anybody crashes or has a mechanical breakdown, we will make sure they are ok in place and otherwise they are on their own and the rest of us continue.

Fast forward about 600 miles, we came down Tioga Pass and at the bottom, I saw my two buddies behind me, so I kept on going down 395 to Big Pine. We stopped to fuel up and now only 1 buddy was with me. We figured the dipshit guy that joined us probably broke down (in fact he had crashed) and our third guy (his friend) went back to check on him. So we waited for 30 minutes, and said fuck it and kept going. Once we hit Lida NV it was a straight shot from there into Vegas (through Pahrump) so we agreed to put our heads down and gain time - it was like 1am at this point. 180 mile stretch, with a gas top in Pahrump; it took us 1 hour and 40 minutes, with the stop (which was about 10 minutes). For most of the time I was head down, speedo constant at 130mph. With the stopped time and a few times we had to slow down, we averaged 120mph for that 180 mile stretch.

Now, the crazy part, we're fueling up in Vegas and taking a small breather, and 15 min after we got there, our buddy comes rolling in, telling us the douche crashed on Tioga pass, he made sure an ambulance got there, and then he hauled ass to join us... he said he averaged 135mph the whole way from Big Pine.

Load Metric
    Jon Denning Rep!!! Only jew to drive nascar. But u driving fast reminds me more of the little jew kid Spritle from Speed Racer.

Walking Image Library
    Load Metric
    I thought this thread was about this:

Bloodhound SSC: first look inside the cockpit of a 1,000MPH car
    By Joel Gunter
    6:00AM BST 13 Jun 2014

" The team behind the Bloodhound SSC land speed record bid have revealed the cockpit from which driver Andy Green will attempt to reach 1,000mph next year.

The cockpit, a carbon fibre monocoque built from five different types of carbon fibre weave and two different resins, bolts into the car's chassis in front of the combined jet and rocket engine.

At its thickest point, the cockpit is just 25mm thick, with 13 individual layers in its skin. Sandwiched between the layers of carbon fibre are three different thicknesses of aluminium honeycomb core (8, 12 and 20mm), to provide additional strength. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...00mph-car.html

Load Metric
    Have driven the road between Frankfurt and Pasau Germany in a rented Opel Vectra brand new! going between 160 and 195 kph 100-120 mph sustained, we slowed down to 140kph after What seemed like2 hours probably less. At the time it was the best rental car you could get that would be allowed into Slovakia, all the better ones would be stolen with in two days.

The special forces raided a village near us and found 70 Mercedies In various stages of disassembly they were being packed in trucks and shipped East.
    Last edited by Baron Von Strucker; 06-14-2014 at 11:05 PM.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Las Vegas to Buena Park, CA, 270 miles, 2000. I made it in 3 hours, 10 minutes. Average speed = 85.3 MPH
    This guy I worked with at the dealership in the 80s had this Pontiac Firebird and claimed one day he made it from Covina to Vegas in 2 hours and 45 minutes. Doing over 90 mph atleast. Found it hard to believe but he was a crackercase.

Me? I'm doing 90 mph on the other side of Baker on the I-15 one night in my 1970 Oldsmoblie 98, 455 cubic inch quadrojet carb headed to Vegas when all of the sudden this CHP drives right by me and doesn't look like he's in a hurry. Close for a ticket for me.

Hey but get this. Speeding down Highland Ave. in Alta Loma one night at 85 mph trying to get home this sheriff pulls me over and writes me a ticket for doing 70? Nice guy I guess.

I postpone the court date to see if he won't show up the next time. But there he is. So I plead guilty but say. ''You honor this man has made a mistake. I was doing 85 and this man can even write it right. So dismiss it please.''

Everyone is laughing their #ss off. Then the judge says. ''It states here that you're required to pay a $150 fine. For being such a nut case and making us laugh the fine is a $100. Now get out of here sir.''

So I saved myself $50 by being a clown.

Hey but I should tell you about drunk driving. Dios Mio! (Good god!) Have I got some stories to tell about that.

Rarely do I drink anymore and I don't drive a car.

Name:  10414556_851575794871484_7453156620078969740_n.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  23.1 KB

Comments

zealanddonk: $50 back rep
    Last edited by son of lockman; 06-15-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Puts His Dick in the Mashed Potatoes
    Load Metric
    Did tulsa, ok to los angeles (burbank) in 17 hours. Nonstop other than getting gas. There were long stretches in the middle of the night and early am were i was cruising at 105, and i timed the arrival so i arrived in LA well after rush hour because i rightly figured I'd be a bit out of it by the time i got there, and the last thing i needed to deal with was bumper to bumper traffic through downtown.

And there's a bunch of times where ive driven over a hundred miles in West Virginia while averaging 100mph+. It's a great state to speed in because there doesnt seem to be much in the way of highway patrol. The only legit concern is deer.

Comments

son of lockman: zowy!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by rum dick View Post
    Did tulsa, ok to los angeles (burbank) in 17 hours. Nonstop other than getting gas. There were long stretches in the middle of the night and early am were i was cruising at 105, and i timed the arrival so i arrived in LA well after rush hour because i rightly figured I'd be a bit out of it by the time i got there, and the last thing i needed to deal with was bumper to bumper traffic through downtown.

And there's a bunch of times where ive driven over a hundred miles in West Virginia while averaging 100mph+. It's a great state to speed in because there doesnt seem to be much in the way of highway patrol. The only legit concern is deer.
    Never driven 100+ for a long trip, but I can recommend WV for those endeavors on THIS side of the Mississippi! I had my 91 Mitsubishi Eclipse (yeah, this was a while ago) up to 140 on one trip. When I slowed down to 100, it felt like I was just poking along. Dropping down to the speed limit was almost unbearable afterwards.

Comments

rum dick: experience with speeding in wv (in a car) rep

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

dude that's flying. you sure you weren't on united airlines?

hey one time in 2005 i was going 140 mph on the I-15 to get to vegas in my 1987 toyota supra. had new tires and ran good. but i shut off the speed after about 5 minutes.

Comments

rum dick: that had to be scary fun

Puts His Dick in the Mashed Potatoes
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by son of lockman View Post

dude that's flying. you sure you weren't on united airlines?

hey one time in 2005 i was going 140 mph on the I-15 to get to vegas in my 1987 toyota supra. had new tires and ran good. but i shut off the speed after about 5 minutes.

Never gone that fast. Got my 65 mustang up to 135 once and it felt like it was about fall apart. After that i promised myself never to go over 120 again.

As for my cross country jaunt, nissan maximas are highly underrated cars. Suckers can fly. Plus i was chasing after a girl who i ultimately married. So. I was pretty motivated to get to LA ASAP.

And whenever im in WV i rent new camaros and then push em to the limits. Too much fun.

Load Metric

Comments

4Dragons: on point
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83
    I'm going to come across as a bit of a douche but I really know more about this then anyone on this board by miles.

...if Trump is nominee he wins Presidency easily. Angry Blue Collar Whites will have record turnout.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Thought my 85 MPH average over 450 miles was something impressive, but now I feel like an old man in the right lane after reading the posts in this thread.

Load Metric
    When i was seventeen i got arrested for doing 104 in a 55 on Thanksgiving night.

Comments

smithbk: lol at 17, my car only wnet 85, but it went 85 every time i got in it

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    I made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs.

Comments

smithbk: lol brilliant!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrigan View Post

There was a Cruise this past weekend and there was a minty Bandit car there..
    Name:  Firebird Smokey 1.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  557.6 KB

Comments

smithbk: a long way to go and a short time to get there rep

Load Metric
    Gumball Rally

Thread Information