Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donkdown 2.0?

Load Metric

Donkdown 2.0?

http://iamvali.donkdown.com/

Is this 2.0? Look at micons face. Lol.

Load Metric
    Looks like WordPress - good solid platform to build a site on.

Load Metric
    That pretty much is DD 2.0 with a very overshopped picture of Micon.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Load Metric
    I guess it is because my post on the forums about it was quickly deleted and I was IP banned.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnDew View Post
    I guess it is because my post on the forums about it was quickly deleted and I was IP banned.
    I made a post on DD with the same DD 2.0 link. The post is still there but I just noticed the DD 2.0 link was erased.

Load Metric
    Looks pretty good actually. Not 3 years in the making good, but good none the less.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Wow.

Not that I don't believe you (because I'm sure you're telling the truth), but can you post a copy of the ban screen for all of us to see?

If you were IP banned for this, LOL @ Micon again for his hypocrisy.

I had to fight with him for hours on the few occasions I banned someone for doing things like posting family member info. He used to insist, "We don't ban people here. We just put them in Retard Siberia, and only if they're really doing something to fuck up the system."

So you got IP banned for posting a link to DD 2.0 that has been available on google for months?

Hilarious.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    And yes, I believe that's pretty much the design they're using for 2.0.

Does it look a little bit nicer than the current design? Yes.

Will it significantly improve anyone's experience on the site, or generate more traffic? Of course not.

This was something I fought with Micon about for a long time, and supposedly one of the biggest reasons he eventually turned on me.

Micon kept wanting me to spend big money on DD 2.0. He was convinced that a prettier looking site was the answer to all of our problems.

I completely disagreed. While extremely ugly and/or user-unfriendly sites can drive away traffic, aesthetics were not DD's problem. The site was by no means beautiful, but it was fairly straightforward and functional. I told him that the site could only grow by providing better content. He dismissed that idea. He was still convinced that dressing it up in nicer packaging would bring us to the big-time and we would challenge 2+2 for poker forum supremacy. It was impossible to reason with him. (Ironically, 2+2 itself is ugly and user-unfriendly!) He was pissed at me for refusing to front 10k to redesign the site.

I asked, "Okay... so we redesign the site for 10k and it looks beautiful. Then what? How do we get more traffic? How is this going to make us any more money?"

He never had a reasonable answer to that one, other than claiming that we needed to "be ready for when online poker gets legalized", whatever that meant.

I tried to explain to him the general business concept that your spending should only grow as your business grows. Money you invest in the business should have concrete reasoning behind it. I asked him, "Have you encountered a single person who visited your site and chose not to get involved because it wasn't beautiful?" He couldn't name one. I told him that there were many reasons DD was stagnating, but the cosmetic appearance wasn't one of them. Again, he didn't believe me and just thought I was being a cheapskate.

So let's say he drops that cleaner version as DD 2.0. Then what? Will new users show up? Will old users come back? Of course not. The fact is that there is very little informative content there, and the humor aspect really only appeals to people that have already been around for years and understand the inside jokes. Radio is terrible nowadays, and the show reminds me of a 40-year-old ballplayer who was once great but doesn't realize that it's time to quit.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Wouldnt it make more sense for Micon to take the $10k, buy in to the WSOP Main Event and win "big money" instead of burning it on trying to make DD 2.0 "look good".

Or use it for SEO/other advertising

Or use it to fund SwC pros and get advertising that way

OR buy bitcoins at their peak ($30 each) and then sell them at their current price ($5 each), that sounds like a real profit maker.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    And yes, I believe that's pretty much the design they're using for 2.0.

Does it look a little bit nicer than the current design? Yes.

Will it significantly improve anyone's experience on the site, or generate more traffic? Of course not.

This was something I fought with Micon about for a long time, and supposedly one of the biggest reasons he eventually turned on me.

Micon kept wanting me to spend big money on DD 2.0. He was convinced that a prettier looking site was the answer to all of our problems.

I completely disagreed. While extremely ugly and/or user-unfriendly sites can drive away traffic, aesthetics were not DD's problem. The site was by no means beautiful, but it was fairly straightforward and functional. I told him that the site could only grow by providing better content. He dismissed that idea. He was still convinced that dressing it up in nicer packaging would bring us to the big-time and we would challenge 2+2 for poker forum supremacy. It was impossible to reason with him. (Ironically, 2+2 itself is ugly and user-unfriendly!) He was pissed at me for refusing to front 10k to redesign the site.

I asked, "Okay... so we redesign the site for 10k and it looks beautiful. Then what? How do we get more traffic? How is this going to make us any more money?"

He never had a reasonable answer to that one, other than claiming that we needed to "be ready for when online poker gets legalized", whatever that meant.

I tried to explain to him the general business concept that your spending should only grow as your business grows. Money you invest in the business should have concrete reasoning behind it. I asked him, "Have you encountered a single person who visited your site and chose not to get involved because it wasn't beautiful?" He couldn't name one. I told him that there were many reasons DD was stagnating, but the cosmetic appearance wasn't one of them. Again, he didn't believe me and just thought I was being a cheapskate.

So let's say he drops that cleaner version as DD 2.0. Then what? Will new users show up? Will old users come back? Of course not. The fact is that there is very little informative content there, and the humor aspect really only appeals to people that have already been around for years and understand the inside jokes. Radio is terrible nowadays, and the show reminds me of a 40-year-old ballplayer who was once great but doesn't realize that it's time to quit.
    This is:

Load Metric
    I think a much better use of $10k for an established website would have been to hire someone to write up one or two articles each day on trending topics (poker stuff not DD-nonsense) in the poker forum: You'd get an SEO boost (google loves unique content) and people visiting the site for the article could be directed to the forum to weigh-in. With $10k you could get good quality content like this for a year
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Load Metric
    Wow.

Not that I don't believe you (because I'm sure you're telling the truth), but can you post a copy of the ban screen for all of us to see?

I had to fight with him for hours on the few occasions I banned someone for doing things like posting family member info. He used to insist, "We don't ban people here. We just put them in Retard Siberia, and only if they're really doing something to fuck up the system."

So you got IP banned for posting a link to DD 2.0 that has been available on google for months?

Hilarious.
    I would post one but my IP has changed since the banning.
    Last edited by mtnDew; 04-28-2012 at 06:14 AM.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    http://iamvali.donkdown.com/

Is this 2.0? Look at micons face. Lol.

Massive LOLs at the use of Wordpress 3.2.1. For fun, google "Wordpress 3.2.1 exploits" or "Wordpress 3.2.1 vulnerabilities".

Load Metric
    10k? LOL

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Never been more disinterested in a "beef" my whole life

Druff won a bracelet like a decade ago. Micon has never won shit.

The only reason either of these sites have any oxygen is because Jewdonk stirred the pot; then and now

I used to post on NWP like every day.

I hate both these sites. They both suck and neither is blowing up.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The PHA View Post

that has to been the easiest contest on that show n was for million

Load Metric
    Is this a level? So, Micon the great fighter of internet freedom is banning people now? What a surprise!

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Looks good.

Load Metric
    Wow.

Hilarious.
    my ip switched back.

here is the ban screen.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Load Metric
    MtnDew,

Why were you banned?

Did you post the link THEN get banned, THEN start posting there again under other IP's?

OR, Did you have several logins under different IP's, thus causing them to ban you (this doesnt make a whole lot of sense, but maybe there is justification in doing this somehow)?

Thread Information