Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Belmont Stakes, bets/thoughts????

Load Metric
    I'm curious if handicapme and OSA are still stuck there trying to get home. A clusterfuck apparently, from what I just saw on deadspin.

http://deadspin.com/leaving-the-belm...ter-1587682934

Load Metric
    If any horse at all deserved to have the rules bent to make him a Triple Crown champion, it should have been Real Quiet from 1998.

He lost the Triple Crown by a nose! A freaking nose!

So because he lost a mile-and-a-half race by less than 3 inches this horse is not great????

Name:  lg_photo_ap.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  24.6 KB

Load Metric
    Tonalist hadn't raced since May 10th, skipping the Kentucky Derby and Preakness.

Six of the last eight Belmont winners did the same.

Don't let the news media dick tease you about another Triple Crown next year.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    I'm curious if handicapme and OSA are still stuck there trying to get home. A clusterfuck apparently, from what I just saw on deadspin.

http://deadspin.com/leaving-the-belm...ter-1587682934
    It was a joke... I left right after the race, didnt even cash my tickets so I was one of the "lucky" ones. I have a few friends who were stuck there waiting for a train till 12. If you drive there your safest bet is to park right next to the highway entrance and walk the mile.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    Tonalist hadn't raced since May 10th, skipping the Kentucky Derby and Preakness.

To win a Triple Crown a horse has to be able to endure a quick turnaround and more importantly have some versatility to his repertoire. The style of racing has changed exponentially since Affirmed claimed the TC. The tracks and distances are much more geared toward speed speed speed and more speed. So, obviously the breeders are more geared toward a speed and burst pedigree for shorter distances and concrete tracks. Even the East Coast tracks have adapted to the bullshit West Coast launching pad surfaces.

Another issue was the allowing of performance-enhancing, once illegal drugs (Theuraputic medication, stimulants, PM Substances,), to be legal. Due to this today's Thoroughbred is a less versatile, less durable, less sound horse than year's past. This has definitely had a degenerative effect in the Thoroughbred program.

The TC format does not need to change. The Thoroughbred itself needs to be changed, through more shrewd, selective breeding. Develop an appreciation for speed, soundness and stamina. Until then, I agree that there will not be a Triple Crown winner. Just two trick ponies that will flop to the well rested distance horse geared towards the Belmont.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post

This post just shows a basic lack of understanding of horse racing on your part.

May 10th was after the Kentucky Derby.

Tonalist didn't skip the Kentucky Derby, he didn't qualify for it. There is a points system and he hadn't raced in any big races at that point. The May 10th race, Peter Pan, was his first Graded Race.

The problem is breeding and training.

We have bred a lot of speed into our horses at the sake of stamina. In order to have the speed to win the Kentucky Derby most horses don't have the Stamina to then win the Belmont.

Time for a breeding lesson

California Chrome:

Dosage Profile: 7 5 10 0 0
    Dosage Index: 3.4
    Center of Distribution: .86

Tonalist:

Dosage Profile: 5 13 14 1 1
    Dosage Index: 2.78
    Center of Distribution: .59

For Dosage Profile numbers to the left mean more speed, numbers to the right mean more stamina. More points should mean a better overall race horse (with some exceptions, hence when you heard them talk about Chrome's breeding).

Dosage Index is the left two numbers plus half the third number divided by the other half of the third number and the right two numbers (Example Tonalist: (5+13+7) / (7+1+1). The lower the number the further a horse can run.

Center of Distribution is a measure of the balancing point of all numbers. The higher the center of distribution the shorter distance a horse generally can run.

The problem for Chrome is he has almost no stamina in his bloodlines, hence no dosage points to the right of center.

Next we have trainers who train totally different than they did in the old days.

Horses often ran every 5-7 days in the old days. Now we train them up more like athletes designed to peak at an exact moment.

We have a tendency to work the horses harder int he mornings to make them sharper for speed than we do give them really long gallops. In the old days you might go gallop a horse 3-4 miles every day. Today they are more likely to gallop a horse for 2 miles and then work them hard for 3 furlongs. I believe this has hurt the overall stamina of horses but since so few races today are held over a mile and a sixteenth it makes since that training has changed.

It would be better served for horses on the Triple Crown trail to not train like most other horses do and train more like they did in the old days when a lot more races were ran between a mile and a mile and a half.

If you want to see another Triple Crown winner, you need to see longer races being written at race tracks. This will cause breeders and trainers to adapt and start producing more horses who can go a longer distance.

Comments

Hockey Guy: Educating the masses rep

DirtyErnie: less speed more stamina rep

Load Metric
    Sounds like CC's owner has finally come to his senses:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/cal...6607--rah.html
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Gold
    Load Metric
    I like that CC owner talked shit. He looked like an asshole while doing it, but I find it endearing at this point. He was all riled up for good reason. He wanted to make fucking history man.

I don't agree with his argument about rested horses, I just Like that he had the Balls to say What he felt even though it makes him look like an asshole.

Load Metric
    Well apparently California Chrome sustained an injury to his hoof during the race.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/08/sport/...html?htp=hp_t3

Still the owner of California Chrome Steve Coburn has a good argument.
    None of the top three horses that finished had raced in both the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness.

When the last horse Affirmed won the triple crown back in 1978, only one horse hadn't raced in the Kentucky Derby or Preakness.

Should the rules change to make the Triple Crown more fair?
    Maybe, if you want to see a triple crown winner ever again.

Of course it's suppose to be unfair.

I know that the real smart bettors and handicappers never put any big money on California Chrome.
    Chrome should've been a huge underdog not close to even money.

If they want to be certain that there is no triple crown champion again next year just...

A) Keep your horse out of the first two triple crown races.

B) Enter him fresh into the Belmont Stakes.

Very doubtful we will see another Triple Crown winner anytime soon.

Thread Information