View Poll Results: Do you move your car so the honking asshole can get to the pump where you're sitting?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. It's common courtesy, and you should have been at the farther pump in the first place

20 48.78%
  • No, fuck him. He can go to one of the other pumps, especially because of his rude honking.

19 46.34%
  • Don't know / don't care

2 4.88%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You Make the Call: Gas Station Edition

Radio Co-Host
    Load Metric
    You have to pull up !! A) You should have pulled to the last one to begin with . Keeps the flow of the station moving . B) You're not out of your car and the guy is older and with his wife. It take you just as much time and effort as him to move and you started off in the wrong ! Advantage grumpy old dude !!!! IMO

Load Metric
    Hmm. I actually consider stupid things like this everyday. I believe cars used to run close to 50-50 between left and right filler necks. In that case, I think taking the first pump is reasonable, assuming no exceptional traffic flow considerations. I have been pulling up myself as anecdotal evidence suggests a shift in filling to the left. I think we need some empirical data regarding the current distribution of filler necks between the right and left before castigating Mr. Druff unfairly for his pump-related decision.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    There's a frustrating second part to this story, which I withheld because I wanted everyone to focus on the main question.

When the guy honked me, at first I ignored it because I assumed it couldn't be about me. I had been parked for a good 10 seconds, and I was just sitting at the pump, not blocking the flow of traffic, so how could it be for me?

Then I heard a second honk, and I looked back and saw the guy angrily raising his arms and I realized he wanted me to pull forward to the other pump. I thought this was being petty, since there were at least 5 open pumps in the place, and they were all easy to access. There was no reason he had to be at the one where I was sitting.

Still, I considered that maybe he was directly following behind me the whole time and I didn't realize it, so perhaps I was the one being rude by not pulling all the way forward. While I was willing to concede this, I was still pissed about the honking and the arm motions, which were a big overreaction given the circumstances. I considered just getting out of the car and saying fuck him because of his rudeness, but I decided just to avoid a stressful situation and pulled forward.

BUT

With all the commotion, I forgot that I hadn't straightened the wheel, so when I pulled forward, my bumper scraped against the curb next to the pump.

This is a 10-year-old car with 135k miles, so now I'm stuck trying to figure out what to do regarding fixing that damage. It's not very obvious (way at the bottom on the passenger side), but I'm going to sell the car soon, and I think that might bother some buyers. It's like 4-5 inches long and an inch wide, though again, it's way at the bottom and hard to see. A regular body shop would cost $500 to fix this, and no way I'm paying that for a car that is worth like $8k total.

I was so pissed that this happened because I moved the car up, and I was regretting not deciding to just get out of the car and telling the guy to F off if he wasn't happy about it.

He got out of his car and started pumping gas. Not sure if he realized I damaged my car (as he was behind me), but I kept glaring at him and was really wanting to walk up to him and get in his face about the obnoxious honking and arm waving at me. I decided to calm down and just let it go, but I was really frustrated. Wasn't his fault that I scraped the bumper, but I still think he was acting like an asshole.

Keep in mind that if this were the only pump left, or if the other ones were difficult to reach, I would have totally understood his honking and frustration. But there was really no reason he had to have this particular pump. I've had the reverse happen to me before (where someone stops at the pump I want and doesn't move up), and unless there aren't any other pumps available, I just go to a different pump. I don't honk anyone or act like an asshole about it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Still, I considered that maybe he was directly following behind me the whole time and I didn't realize it, so perhaps I was the one being rude by not pulling all the way forward.
    Druff -

Ignoring the rest of your post, I honestly don't see why you are having such problems with this point. You are the one being rude by not pulling forward, regardless of whether someone is behind you or the gas station is crowded. Even if there is only a 10% chance that someone will be inconvenienced by you, it is still rude.
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83
    I'm going to come across as a bit of a douche but I really know more about this then anyone on this board by miles.

...if Trump is nominee he wins Presidency easily. Angry Blue Collar Whites will have record turnout.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrigan View Post
    Still, I considered that maybe he was directly following behind me the whole time and I didn't realize it, so perhaps I was the one being rude by not pulling all the way forward.
    Druff -

Ignoring the rest of your post, I honestly don't see why you are having such problems with this point. You are the one being rude by not pulling forward, regardless of whether someone is behind you or the gas station is crowded. Even if there is only a 10% chance that someone will be inconvenienced by you, it is still rude.
    I do understand that point. That's why I moved forward in the first place after the guy honked and gestured at me.

Honestly if I got out of my car and the guy said, "Hey, could you please pull forward so I can get to that pump?", 100% I would have done it without question.

I just didn't like the way the guy was acting.

With that said, I still don't see the big deal of taking a random pump at a mostly empty gas station during off hours, even if it's not the farthest one. In fact, sometimes I've done this intentionally, because I want to exit from a driveway that is more convenient to the closer pump, and to where it would be difficult or impossible to get to if I use the farther pump and then someone takes the closer one.

If I saw someone behind me, though, I would always pull forward.

Load Metric

Druff -

I do understand that point. That's why I moved forward in the first place after the guy honked and gestured at me.

Honestly if I got out of my car and the guy said, "Hey, could you please pull forward so I can get to that pump?", 100% I would have done it without question.

I just didn't like the way the guy was acting.

With that said, I still don't see the big deal of taking a random pump at a mostly empty gas station during off hours, even if it's not the farthest one. In fact, sometimes I've done this intentionally, because I want to exit from a driveway that is more convenient to the closer pump, and to where it would be difficult or impossible to get to if I use the farther pump and then someone takes the closer one.

If I saw someone behind me, though, I would always pull forward.

fair enough, obv this guy was being a dick
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83
    I'm going to come across as a bit of a douche but I really know more about this then anyone on this board by miles.

...if Trump is nominee he wins Presidency easily. Angry Blue Collar Whites will have record turnout.

Load Metric

fair enough, obv this guy was being a dick
    This guy definitely is an asshole and deserved to get a F you after the honks/etc.

AND Druff should have pulled ahead before.

Load Metric
    i voted dont know/care, but like some others said I would have pulled all the way up at first anyway just to avoid the possible, but unlikely, awkward situation that did happen to you.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I think I can explain this thread.

Name:  51zDdKVTCNL.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  39.7 KB
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    I've seen stations where only certain banks of pumps could be used if you were paying at the pump with a credit card or some types of GC's or fleet cards. It's been awhile since I've seen this because they should all take CC's & GC's(pretty sure the fleet card ones still exist though) now but they used to exist so maybe he had to use that bank of pumps for this reason & he was too lazy or stupid(see story below) to pull around to the other side of the pump pointing in the opposite direction.

I've actually gotten into a discussion with my wife for pulling into a gas station & getting into a lineup where we would have to wait & I told her to just pull around to "that" empty pump. She didn't want to because then she would be pointed the wrong direction from where we were heading. I'm not even kidding, that is a true story.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    many years ago i was at a toll and threw my change in the machine...the machine/light didn't turn green and i couldn't go. so i got out of the car and looked in the basket and it was jammed up full of quarters. i then proceeded to grab a couple of handful of quarters and threw them in my cars. once i did this the machine became un-jammed and i was allowed to pass.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I mostly just pick a random and don't even consider whether to pull up all the way, some cars have the tank opening on the left and some on the right and some old ass ones on the back so no matter what you pick someone is going to be blocked depending in the car

Banned
    Load Metric
    lol at honking and hand waving over stupid shit like this. I get out of the car, pump my gas, and ignore him. He can pull up to another pump, which requires far less effort than throwing a tantrum.

Thread Information