View Poll Results: Do you move your car so the honking asshole can get to the pump where you're sitting?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. It's common courtesy, and you should have been at the farther pump in the first place

20 48.78%
  • No, fuck him. He can go to one of the other pumps, especially because of his rude honking.

19 46.34%
  • Don't know / don't care

2 4.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You Make the Call: Gas Station Edition

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

You Make the Call: Gas Station Edition

You pull into a gas station. It is at night, and not particularly crowded. There are at least 5 open pumps.

You pull up to the first pump you reach. There is another pump in the same aisle, which you would reach by pulling forward. So if someone is behind you, they won't be able to access it as easily, but there are like 4 or more other pumps in the station that are also empty.

You don't notice anyone behind you, so you don't bother to slide up to the farther pump. You turn off your car, and hear a honk behind you. At first you assume it's not related to you, because you already turned off your car, and clearly aren't blocking anyone from getting where they're going. However, you hear another honk, and look in the rear view window. A guy who looks about 60, in the car with his wife, angrily raises his hands, and motions for you to move your car forward to the other pump, so he can get to the one where you're currently sitting. You haven't gotten out of the car yet, but your engine is off.

Do you turn the engine back on and move to the other pump, or do you just ignore this asshole honking at you, get out, and pump your gas, knowing he can easily go to one of several other pumps in the station?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    You pull into a gas station. It is at night, and not particularly crowded. There are at least 5 open pumps.

You pull up to the first pump you reach. There is another pump in the same aisle, which you would reach by pulling forward. So if someone is behind you, they won't be able to access it as easily, but there are like 4 or more other pumps in the station that are also empty.

You don't notice anyone behind you, so you don't bother to slide up to the farther pump. You turn off your car, and hear a honk behind you. At first you assume it's not related to you, because you already turned off your car, and clearly aren't blocking anyone from getting where they're going. However, you hear another honk, and look in the rear view window. A guy who looks about 60, in the car with his wife, angrily raises his hands, and motions for you to move your car forward to the other pump, so he can get to the one where you're currently sitting. You haven't gotten out of the car yet, but your engine is off.

Do you turn the engine back on and move to the other pump, or do you just ignore this asshole honking at you, get out, and pump your gas, knowing he can easily go to one of several other pumps in the station?
    Obviously said 60yr old is a self-entitled douchebag and with other pumps there was zero reason for him to pull behind you to begin with..

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'd be at the front pump to begin with but I might tell the guy to fuck off depending on what mood I am in. More often than not I would pull ahead but would probably get out of the car and ask him why the fuck he is beeping at me

Load Metric
    I wouldn't move at that point but I would have already been pulled up to the second pump anyway & not been an asshole. I don't see that option.

Why would you park somewhere that you can be boxed in regardless if there's anybody else there?
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Why would you park somewhere that you can be boxed in regardless if there's anybody else there?

People get way to easily offended by a honk, I would have turned it back over and pulled up 3 fucking feet for the convenience for both him and I.

Load Metric
    i also would have pulled up to the forward pump before turning of the ignition unless that pump was for diesel or had an out of order sign on it...imho it is inconsiderately rude not to leave room for someone that might come along

you have a 4th move, which is something Chico Loco might do...

start the car, pull past the forward pump, circle around behind the asshole and honk the horn if he hasn't pulled up to the forward pump...and laugh sneeringly

Comments

Dan Druff: lol

Hockey Guy: +1 for you

IamGreek: Perfect resolution rep (funny too)

BUBBLES:

rickastley: chico lico would approve this message
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 06-04-2014 at 12:24 AM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    i also would have pulled up to the forward pump before turning of the ignition unless that pump was for diesel or had an out of order sign on it...imho it is inconsiderately rude not to leave room for someone that might come along

you have a 4th move, which is something Chico Loco might do...

start the car, pull past the forward pump, circle around behind the asshole and honk the horn if he hasn't pulled up to the forward pump...and laugh sneeringly
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If their were five pumps available I'd ignore the asshole but if their weren't many I would have pulled forward probably out of respect.

Since the guy honked no matter what I would ignore the fucker but had they came up and politely asked me if I could move forward I probably would do that.

Load Metric
    strange stuff all around on this one. I probably pull forward, because I'd realize that's what I should have done in the first place (like lots of others here, this isn't a situation I would ever be in). Even if common courtesy isn't a good enough reason to always pull to the forward-most pump, you also eliminate the chance of jackholes pulling in front of you and making your escape a bit more of a hassle, not to mention avoiding the strange one-offs like Old Man Angry pulling up behind you in the otherwise empty gas station.

If you do indeed pull forward, and Old Man is still in a gruff mood, I give him a few seconds to get it out of his system, and I'm also probably smiling, because I tend to do that in otherwise strange but not yet dangerous situations like this. Unless he gets loud or addresses me directly, I don't say a word. If he does, then I start asking him how he's doing tonight? Evertthing ok over there? shit like that. If I'm more than 5, 10 miles from my house, or am anywhere I'm not usually getting gas, I'm not taking any aggressive actions at all at any point. If I'm someplace I usually get gas, I'd be more inclined to tell grampa angry that it's a nice night out, ask him how his night has been, shit like that. Eddie Haskell nice. It diffuses, and it irritates. Win-win.

If the guy looks like a psycho former marine, or has bowling ball fists, or a really crazy type vibe, I pull out and go to the farthest pump n the place, or I get gas tomorrow.

Load Metric
    If it's a super busy station I go to the farthest one in front of me if its open and if there isn't someone waiting on the other side to come in, so I guess it just would never be an issue.

Load Metric
    Fuck him, I hate when people honk when it's unwarranted.

Especially with the exasperated hands motioning. I get tilted when people do this even if I am in the wrong.

Load Metric
    Just rationalize this by thinking of that driver whose filler neck is on the right side. You were making it easy for him to use the pump in front of you.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yeah, fuck anyone honking when there are open pumps.

However, you seem to find yourself in similar situations often and it may
    be something to do with your ego. You pulled in like you owned the joint
    and didn't think twice about pumping protocol.......sort of like jumping the queue and
    getting called on it.

BTW I just realized this the other day while filling up, the majority of newer cars seem to
    have the gas cap located on the drivers side which can lead to fewer choices when you get
    to the station. More than once I've had to back up to open spots all because the driver side options were
    taken.

Fuck, life is getting more difficult, thank-you drug makers.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Hard to answer since no normal person would stop at the 1st pump.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post
    I thought someone might say something like this, so let me explain again.

It was NOT a busy time on the roads (9pm on a weeknight), and didn't notice anyone following my car into the driveway. The gas station was also quite empty. I pulled in, and honestly believed nobody was behind me, and I could grab whichever pump I wanted. So I just stopped at the first one I encountered.

Again, I would NOT have stopped there if it were busy, or even if I noticed the guy behind me.

I still don't know how close behind me this guy was. It's possible I didn't notice because he wasn't behind me at first, but then came in a few seconds after me, assumed I would pull all the way forward, and got mad when I didn't.

Interesting how close this poll is so far.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

It was NOT a busy time on the roads (9pm on a weeknight), and didn't notice anyone following my car into the driveway. The gas station was also quite empty. I pulled in, and honestly believed nobody was behind me, and I could grab whichever pump I wanted. So I just stopped at the first one I encountered.

Again, I would NOT have stopped there if it were busy, or even if I noticed the guy behind me.

I still don't know how close behind me this guy was. It's possible I didn't notice because he wasn't behind me at first, but then came in a few seconds after me, assumed I would pull all the way forward, and got mad when I didn't.

Even at a dead gas station, doesn't your instinct just lead you to the front pump?

Also what was the guys reaction when you would not move?

Load Metric
    We got you the first time, and still, pretty much everyone is saying what Tony said. Like, stopping at the first pump when the one ahead of it is empty is not a thing most people will ever do, out of habit, courtesy, selfishness, whatever the reason.
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 06-05-2014 at 08:39 AM. Reason: weird typo

Load Metric
    I'm pulling up. I should have pulled up in the first place and if I didn't see him pull in behind me I don't know for sure if he was literally right behind me the whole time or not (Making it a real dick move if he was right behind be the whole time). More importantly there is a good chance I'll be able to avoid a confrontation with relative ease and I'm usually all about that.

Now after I pull up if he starts to give me shit then we have a different story on our hands as far as avoiding confrontation.

Load Metric

As everyone else is saying, you are in the wrong here.
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83
    I'm going to come across as a bit of a douche but I really know more about this then anyone on this board by miles.

...if Trump is nominee he wins Presidency easily. Angry Blue Collar Whites will have record turnout.

Load Metric
    It's due to your question design.

I agree with both the first and second responses.

You obviously took the wrong spot, but since you're already there F him.

Thread Information