Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PokerApproved.com: Get staked up to $6 million... sounds legit, right?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

PokerApproved.com: Get staked up to $6 million... sounds legit, right?

Some of you probably remember the highly suspect operation known as "Poker by Proxy". If you were a gullible idiot, you sent them money (or bitcoins) to play poker for you, despite the fact that you had no idea of who they were or which people were playing for you. You were simply supposed to send them money, and watch the profits roll in!

Of course, it was nothing but a scam. They simply ran off with everyone's money, once they felt they had roped in the maximum number of suckers. You can read all about it here: http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sho...could-go-wrong

That was 5 months ago.

Now we have a somewhat more complex "poker staking" organization, but again highly mysterious and suspect: PokerApproved.

http://pokerapproved.com

For the record, I don't believe PokerApproved and the now-defunct PokerByProxy to be related.

PokerApproved is actually a lot more complicated and clever.

PokerByProxy simply asked for your money and said they'd play for you, making it an obvious scam to anyone with the slightest clue about poker staking.

PokerApproved reverses that model by claiming they will give you money. On their website, they promise the following:

Poker Approved, has an active primary focus in sponsoring & staking developing career poker players and skilled poker professionals and in funding their poker bankrolls. We stake poker players and fund bankrolls for live cash games, major tournaments and online poker.

Poker Approved will stake poker players for live cash game levels of 10/20 NL to 2000/5000 NL. We also stake poker players for online poker in the U.S. and worldwide. We fund bankrolls to developing players & skilled poker professionals for cash games and main event tournaments in Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Western Europe and Macau.

Available Bankrolls: $10,000 to $250,000 (Non-Pro Players)
    Available Bankrolls: $100,000 to $6 MILLION (Pro Players)
    While it's hard to believe that they would stake people these amounts of money, what do you really have to lose?

After all, if they are the ones staking YOU, then there's absolutely no way you can lose, right?

Of course, like most internet offers of pennies from heaven, this comes with a catch. Taking a page from the classic Nigerian "advance fee" scams, PokerApproved asks for money up front prior to staking you.

According to various reports I received, PokerApproved initially charged a $40 "application fee" to have your staking application approved. They eventually lowered that fee to $15, and then finally lowered that fee to $0.

But wait... there's more!

According to several people on Twitter, PokerApproved charges you $1000 to attend a "Poker Player Evaluation & Live Testing" session, supposedly to prove that you're worth of being staked. While their website does not quote the amount of $1000, they do indicate that there is a "Nominal Fee" for this process.

Your 3 Day Evaluation process will cover all of the above listed, to determine your level of play, skill set and overall poker abilities. Additionally, our Poker Evaluator & Instructor will assess your skills in live play action in cash game and/or tournament play.

Once you have been fully evaluated and tested, our Poker Evaluator & Instructor will advise if bankroll funding will be granted, and if so at what level of funding will be provided.

Poker Approved will only fund players that show an advanced skill set of poker abilities and players that may show good equity value in being bankroll funded.

If you want to apply and be personally evaluated (live in-person) by one of our Poker Evaluators and Instructors, please contact us using the link below.

Note: A Nominal Fee applies to our 3 Day Poker Evaluation program.
    Source for above: http://pokerapproved.com/Poker-Playe...kerarticle.htm

PokerApproved is apparently reaching for the stars. They are taking applications to be staked $1,000,000 for the upcoming WSOP One Drop Event.

Of course, they can't go around staking people a million bucks without some serious coin flowing into their coffers.

For that reason, they are also seeking investors, who are willing to throw their hard-earned money into the staking pool.

Now, are you ready to laugh? Let's say you are foolish enough to want to INVEST in this company. In fact, let's say you're beyond foolish (and very rich), and want to invest $3 million. They won't let you! Apparently the investment limit is $2,000,000 per person. If you try to invest more than that, they will tell you "Thanks but no thanks. We only want $2 million max." But good news if you're willing to invest corporate money! They will take up to $15,000,000 in that case.

On the flip side, you're out of luck if you want to invest less than 5 figures. The minimum investment is $10,000 for individuals and $100,000 for corporations. It's not clear why they are willing to take $10,000 from individuals, yet corporations don't get to join in the fun unless they thrown down a cool $100k.

http://www.pokerapproved.com/poker_i...the_terms.aspx

Currently Fully-Funded for Sponsorships

Individual / Private Clients: Institutional / Corporate Clients:
    Minimum Sponsorship Investment: $10,000 Minimum Sponsorship Investment: $100,000
    Maximum Sponsorship Investment: $2,000,000 Maximum Sponsorship Investment: $15,000,000

They also keep scheduling live events, but none ever seem to actually take place. For example, they had a "Top Gun Challenge" event planned at the Mirage, with an estimated $500,000 prize pool, as well as the opportunity to fly in a fighter jet for the top 5 finishers! Your tournament ticket also was to include a "gala pool party" at Bare Pool Lounge in Mirage.

Sadly, now the event is "postponed": http://www.pokerapproved.com/Hollywo...kerarticle.htm

An inside source at the Mirage told me that this was never scheduled there. The source told me that PokerApproved approached them about this, but Mirage turned them down.

I was also told on Twitter that you cannot register for these tournaments at the time they take place, meaning you would have to prepay if you want to participate (LOL).

They apparently also rent "hotel rooms, mansions, and condos" in Vegas: http://www.pokerapproved.com/Las-Veg...kerarticle.htm

Oh, and apparently they also run high stakes private games: http://www.pokerapproved.com/Club-Ro...kerarticle.htm

It is not clear who runs this company. Supposedly a guy named "Sergio" tried to arrange an event at the Revel in Atlantic City.

Also, nobody has found any poker players that are staked by this company. I'm not saying that they aren't staking anyone, but nobody has come forward indicating that PokerApproved is staking them, nor does PokerApproved list any players they stake.

This whole thing just looks incredibly shady to me. Let me count the ways:

1) The ownership and staff of PokerApproved is doing their best to hide their identities. Never a good sign.

2) The website promises too many grandiose things. $1,000,000 OneDrop stakes? $100,000 to $6,000,000 stakes for pro players? Gala pool parties and flying in fighter jets? This looks like a lot of hype with little substance.

3) They charge "evaluation fees" if you want to get staked. Whether it's really $1,000 or not, no actual stakers work like this, as very few competent players would ever pay this. It's the same reason companies don't charge you to go to job interviews. While all potential stake recipients need to go through a vetting process to decide who is stake-worthy, that is something that needs to be done at the staker's own time and expense. You can't charge someone to prove themselves so they can come work for you. This looks incredibly shady. (Interesting side note: 20 years ago when I was looking for a job out of college, I was approached by various headhunters who offered to find me a job. The legit ones charged the employer for matching me with them, while the scams were the ones asking for me to pay them to find me work.)

4) The "investor" element is very suspect. Why would they require a $10,000 minimum? Why on earth would they ever impose a maximum that a person or corporation can invest? It just looks like they wanted to throw big numbers up there, so as to come off looking like a large operation.

5) Why the weird side business of finding people rental homes in Vegas? This gives the impression that they are finding any way to make a quick buck.

6) The application fees, while no longer being charged, were again indicative of someone trying to make small amounts of money quickly, rather than putting together a serious, large-scale staking operation.

7) There are no poker players currently known to be staked by PokerApproved. Thus, despite supposedly being a large staking operation, they have zero references.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop here.

Amazingly, this organization has been around for at least 3 years, as I see posts about it on 2+2 dating back to 2011. However, there really hasn't been much discussion of them until recently, and that only occurred because a few poker players are taking to Twitter to debate with them.

Oh.... and speaking of that, PokerApproved has protected its Twitter, after noticing that their critics were screen-shotting their tweets and posting them elsewhere.

http://twitter.com/PokerApproved

Lots of legitimate companies protect their tweets, right?

Comments

YUUP: The reason why this site was set up rep

Crowe Diddly: this company was made to be embarassed by you rep

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I did find a woman named Gabriela Hill, who apparently once worked as "Live Events Coordinator" for PokerApproved.com.

https://twitter.com/GabrielaHill

If you go here, search for "Gabriela" and you will see the connection.

This might or might not be "Sergio": https://www.linkedin.com/pub/sergio-guimond/8b/802/295

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Good chance that the Sergio referenced in the above post is the right guy.

This Sergio claims to work for "Gaming Management Capital Partners", but I can't find any reference to that company actually existing.

He says that he has worked there since April, 2010.

pokerapproved.com was bought on March 28, 2010 -- just 4 days before April, 2010.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    With that said, I am not finding any public records of a Sergio Guimond in Las Vegas, so I am now assuming that is likely an alias.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Gabriela Hill is apparently the "voice of Latin American poker", and announced the WSOP on TV for Spanish-speaking countries.

http://about.me/gabriela_hill

She was also briefly a Full Tilt Red Pro.

Her own webpage says "Gabriela now works for Poker Approved, the largest Live Poker cash games staking company worldwide. She functions as a Business Development Coordinator and Consultant for Live Poker Tournaments and Special Events", but presumably hasn't been updated in awhile. Her Twitter no longer makes reference to PokerApproved.

Load Metric
    Thanks for the heads up Druff. I was going to invest all off my winnings from the Nigerian lottery with them, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    PokerApproved also used their Twitter account to threaten and intimidate its critics.

Anna Khait is a young, pretty girl who is still mostly unknown in the poker scene. Here are two pictures of her:

Name:  khait1.JPG
Views: 3072
Size:  83.5 KBName:  khait2.jpeg
Views: 2802
Size:  49.8 KB

She was contacted by PokerApproved and asked to host the event & pool party. They offered to fly her to Vegas, put her up in a hotel, and put her in the tournament. Anna initially accepted this lucrative offer, and her name was quickly put on the PokerApproved website:

Name:  khait3.png
Views: 2826
Size:  241.2 KB

(If you go to the website today, Anna's name is now gone, as are the dates of July 24-27.)

However, she quickly became suspicious after a few shady phone calls with "Sergio".

In addition, Anna spoke to a male friend of hers (a well-known poker pro) who told her that Sergio offered to stake him in the upcoming $1.2 million buyin Super Millions Tournament, but only if the guy put up $400k of his own money first.

But hold on here! You've never heard of Super Millions? Well, you must not have your finger on the pulse of the poker scene if you haven't heard of Super Millions. It's only the biggest buyin tournament ever, with a $1.2 Million entry fee, and a $100 Million prize pool!

Here's the Twitter for Super Millions: http://twitter.com/SuperMillions

Oh, crap. It's a protected Twitter account, just like PokerApproved. That should dampen the enthusiasm for the rich guys looking to plunk down $1.2 million for the buyin, right?

In reality, Super Millions is yet another invention of "Sergio", the owner of PokerApproved. It does not have a location, nor has there been a single person found who has the desire and means to play in it.

But anyway, back to Anna Khait.

Upon hearing this highly shady story about Super Millions, along with her own growing suspicion prior to that, she decided to make a few phone calls. Knowing that this tournament was scheduled for the Mirage, Anna decided to verify that the Mirage was actually holding this tournament. Indeed, nobody knew anything. According to Anna, "I called the security and poker room, and no one seemed to have known who they were."

(An insider at Mirage told me yesterday that the tournament was indeed pitched to the Mirage, but they turned it down.)

Horrified, Anna took to social media and warned people to stay away from PokerApproved, Sergio, and the Super Millions.

Others, such as poker player Chris Baud, also went on Twitter and called out PokerApproved for their shady behavior.

In response, PokerApproved tweeted various forms of threats back to these two.

Anna received threats of the legal variety:

Name:  pokerapproved2.png
Views: 2810
Size:  73.6 KB

Chris Baud received the "I'm going to find you" variety of threats, including a creepy tweet indicating what Sergio believed to be Chris' ZIP code. Notice that Sergio also threatened Anna, that they would "come back to collect their debts later".

Name:  pokerapproved.png
Views: 2781
Size:  104.9 KB

This is actually a very common tactic utilized by scammers worldwide. When the victim (or someone else wise to the scam) threatens or attempts to go public with what they know, they are in return threatened with crippling lawsuits. You might recall that the mastermind of the ESPN "Sarah Phillips" scams also used lawsuit threats to keep victims quiet.

It is highly unlikely that PokerApproved will sue anyone because:

1) These are all facts, and they would lose badly in court

2) "Sergio" likely doesn't have the money for a lawsuit, and no lawyer would take this on contingency

3) "Sergio" would not want to call attention to his actions and bring on a potential criminal investigation

Also, given the Anna Khait story, I now think that Gabriela Hill was likely a victim in all of this (probably conned into taking a position, just like Anna was), and now just wants it to go away. Gabriela probably figures it would be a career-killer to admit she was involved with PokerApproved, so I'm guessing that's why she's staying silent. Unlike Anna, who quickly realized the shadiness and dropped her involvement, it looks like Gabriela was involved for a longer period of time, and in fact promoted her position on social media.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Its all a big misunderstanding Druff, Ivan Sugussen leveraged his personal credit to get a $10m staking deal from these guys, so it must be legit.
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I believe I have found "Sergio".

If my research is correct, his real name is Gilles Guimond, and he lives in Merrickville, Ontario, Canada.

I won't explain my methods here, but I am fairly confident I am right on this one.

Gilles Guimond never lived in Nevada, according to public records, though I suppose it's possible he lived there a very short time and never made it into the databases. My guess is that this is indeed just a Canadian guy operating out of his house.

Load Metric
    They are not going to do anything legally to Anna or anyone else. Lawsuits cost money. All "Sergio" has is a website. If they really need an endorsement, Dutch Boyd and Howard Lederer are available. BTW, I hear that a man with an abnormal amount of digits better known as "Chuck" is jealous that he didn't think of this scam first.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It gets weirder.

Gabriela Hill responded to me.

Name:  gabriela1.png
Views: 2715
Size:  27.2 KB

I thought this was an odd response, but I thought perhaps she misunderstood my question. I decided to direct her to this thread, so she could understand what was going on. Instead, I got hammered with obnoxious legal mumbo-jumbo and lawsuit threats:

Name:  gabriela2.png
Views: 2790
Size:  54.9 KB

I then stepped back and considered that possibly Gabriela's Twitter account had been compromised by the owner of PokerApproved. After all, why would she be taking my criticism of PokerApproved so personally? I thought she wasn't involved anymore!

She denied that her account was being used by someone else, and in fact made some strange reference to her kid being sick.

Name:  gabriela3.png
Views: 2712
Size:  27.8 KB

So now I'm not sure what's going on. Is Gabriela deeply involved? Is she just brainwashed by a smooth-talking Canadian? Was her Twitter hacked?

Odd.

In my final tweet to Gabriela, I told her to say hi to Gilles Guimond for me.

Poker Investigative Journalist
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Gabriela Hill is apparently the "voice of Latin American poker", and announced the WSOP on TV for Spanish-speaking countries.

Her own webpage says "Gabriela now works for Poker Approved, the largest Live Poker cash games staking company worldwide. She functions as a Business Development Coordinator and Consultant for Live Poker Tournaments and Special Events", but presumably hasn't been updated in awhile. Her Twitter no longer makes reference to PokerApproved.
    Oh, man, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was Gabriela Hill who was signed VERY TEMPORARILY to a representation contract by all-star agent Oliver Tse. Now this brings back some LOL memories.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    (info edited by Druff, for reasons I will explain tonight on radio)
    Last edited by Dan Druff; 05-07-2014 at 01:01 PM. Reason: ...

Poker Info Master
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by haleylh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Oh, man, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was Gabriela Hill who was signed VERY TEMPORARILY to a representation contract by all-star agent Oliver Tse. Now this brings back some LOL memories.

Definitely the same person. I recall Oliver didn't have very kind words to say to her after she departed his "agency".

Comments

zealanddonk: Please post more rep

WillieMcFML: kevmath post he gets rep, rep

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Some light reading.

Job offerings at PokerApproved: http://pokerapproved.com/Were-HIRING...kerarticle.htm

Complete with 6-digit "job numbers", which you are told to reference when applying.

You know, because they must have over 100,000 jobs available, so 5-digit job numbers wouldn't suffice.

My favorite one:

Job Title: National Director - Field Operations
    Responsible for managing all Field Operations and personnel within a Country or Global Market. Responsible for overseeing and managing all poker player development and complete bankroll management and overall profitability of its national poker market.
    Pay Range: $400-$500K + PS Equity | Region: Global Markets | Job #: 176221

Load Metric
    Gabriella doesn't seem to have a full grasp of twitter use, and has at least half a dozen failed DM's (tweeted publicly) to this sergio
    https://twitter.com/sergiostuart

She also lists @Pokerati Dan as one of her oldest poker friends, perhaps he has some insight for us?

Comments

Dan Druff: welcome to PFA, Twitter guy

Crowe Diddly: good first post

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Druff, try to get Anna Khait on the show tonight

Poker Investigative Journalist
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevmath View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by haleylh View Post

Definitely the same person. I recall Oliver didn't have very kind words to say to her after she departed his "agency".
    Yeah, I now remember that Oliver sent me and Michalski, and maybe a couple of others, this very bizarre e-mail about it. I may still have that somewhere, but there's tons of news stories today and I'm a bit busy.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegetera View Post
    Druff, try to get Anna Khait on the show tonight

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I just want to say that I'm not 100% sure about Gilles Guimond being the guy in charge of PokerApproved, but he's definitely related to it in some way.

Either Gilles Guimond is the guy, or he's directly related (maybe the dad) of the guy involved (Sergio Guimond?)

I'm working on clarifying this.

Thread Information