Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Say goodbye to the famed (702) area code

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Say goodbye to the famed (702) area code

Well, not quite goodbye, but no more "hello".

After June 3, you will not be able to get new 702 area code numbers. All new numbers assigned will be in the lame (725) area code, which will be a second area code for Clark County. I'm not sure what happens to old 702 numbers that get disconnected. Can they be reused, or will they just die?

In any case, while this was inevitable, it sucks. 702 has been forever associated with Las Vegas, and 725 just won't seem right.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    They likely sold almost all of them out I'm sure which is very standard. As for never re-issuing who really knows.

Load Metric
    Not many people actually know phone numbers by heart anymore. It's amazing when I ask someone hey what's your wife's cell # or gf or whatever, and they literally can't tell me without looking it up on their phone.

Combine that with networks offering nationwide coverage, it doesn't really matter where your number is based either.

So my point is no one even gives a shit about their # anymore other than businesses who want a catchy #

Comments

Baron Von Strucker: TLDR

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Not many people actually know phone numbers by heart anymore. It's amazing when I ask someone hey what's your wife's cell # or gf or whatever, and they literally can't tell me without looking it up on their phone.

Combine that with networks offering nationwide coverage, it doesn't really matter where your number is based either.

So my point is no one even gives a shit about their # anymore other than businesses who want a catchy #
    That is kind of true but if anything it can help long time established businesses more to obviously have a 702 number you know they aren't completely new which for some things you would want to use a business with a good reputation. This is all of course if people think about it in this manner which many probably won't.

I talked to an ex gf yesterday on the phone for the first time yesterday in ten years. She found me on facebook and I was hesitant to add her but said fuck it, it's been ten years after all and I can always remove her. We talked a few times and then she gave me her number to catch up on life,etc... Since I considered her a friend as well I was like alright I will call you. She sees my cell number and says to me "Wow, your number is the same". I'm not even sure how to take that since she always called me by cell number like 10 years ago so I found it odd she still knew my number was the same after so long, with her having several different relationships since including being married at one point then divorced,etc... Just made me wonder because I certainly didn't know her number a few months after we broke up since I deleted it yet she knew mine never changed.

Comments

Belly Buster: run. run fast.

Load Metric
    Same thing happened in NJ years ago. Probably when everyone was getting 2nd lines for modems.

Manhattan even has multiple codes now. Surprised it took LV this long to need them.
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    <--- Grandfathered in.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post
    Same thing happened in NJ years ago. Probably when everyone was getting 2nd lines for modems.

Manhattan even has multiple codes now. Surprised it took LV this long to need them.
    Was gonna mention that the 313 went the way of the dodo decades ago.

Comments

DJ_Chaps: fuck free world

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post

Was gonna mention that the 313 went the way of the dodo decades ago.
    Along with the 213

Load Metric
    The 424 is pretty gangster

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    902 ya heard, we aint goin nowhere

Load Metric
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Puts His Dick in the Mashed Potatoes
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

Screw your point....let's hear more about you asking dudes for their wives and girlfriends numbers and them apparently being stupid enough to give it to you.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

After June 3, you will not be able to get new 702 area code numbers. All new numbers assigned will be in the lame (725) area code, which will be a second area code for Clark County. I'm not sure what happens to old 702 numbers that get disconnected. Can they be reused, or will they just die?

In any case, while this was inevitable, it sucks. 702 has been forever associated with Las Vegas, and 725 just won't seem right.

Not that hard to understand this really. It used to be a family had one phone number, now a family of 5 usually ends up having 5 numbers eventually. Add To this that no prefix starts with 1, 0, 911 and you eliminate more possibilities. I think it odder that it's taken this long to fill up the numbers. I've had two different 702 cell phone numbers and continually get calls and texts for the previous owner of the number

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Almost slipped that one by me..

Load Metric
    Perhaps the new Vegas area code should be 666.

Comments

4Dragons: yuuuuup!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Originally, all area codes had to follow this format:

1) First digit 2-9
    2) Second digit 0 or 1
    3) Third digit could be anything, but the area code could not end in "00" or "11"

In the '90s, they ran out of area codes, so they did away with rule #2, to where area codes were allowed to have any second digit. However, rules #1 and #3 were still kept, and still exist today.

They reserved certain area codes for special purposes:

822-899 were reserved for toll-free calls. Right now, they only have 844/855/866/877/888, and of course, 800.

The "easy" area codes were also reserved, meaning that 222-999 were unavailable.

This disappointed Las Vegas, as they had lobbied for a 777 area code, but were denied based upon that rule.

Anyway, if you see an area code with a 2-9 as the middle digit, you know it's a new one -- or at least not older than the 1990s.

Most of you probably aren't old enough to remember this, but originally all 7-digit phone numbers consisted of two letters and 5 digits. The letters corresponded to number 2-9, just as they still do today. Those letters would then be used to form a word, sometimes associated with the area the phone number served.

For example, in Hollywood, California, most phone numbers began with "46", which spelled "HO". So a phone number of 465-8081 would have been known as "HOllywood-58081". That was how people gave out phone numbers from the 1920s through 1960s. By the '70s, this was mostly dropped, and phone numbers were just given as 7 digits. This also became impossible, with the introduction of phone numbers with 0 or 1 as the second digit in the early '80s, thus making the two-letter thing no longer work.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Something else that might surprise you is that touch tone phones have existed since the 1960s.

Most people think of rotary phones prior to 1980, as those were still common in many households.

Touch tone phones were introduced in 1963, but were only available to select AT&T customers in trial areas. In 1967, my parents had a touch tone phone when living in New York, though touch tone was still highly unusual back then.

Despite being born in 1972, I only have memory of touch tone service in my house. It was already available in the area of Los Angeles where I grew up in the early '70s, so my parents had it right away when they moved to the west coast in 1973.

The developers of touch tone were very forward-thinking. The * and # keys were added with the assumption that "phones will be used to access computers one day" -- something that ended up becoming true, starting in the mid-1980s. There are also 4 "hidden touch tone" keys A, B, C, and D, which are not present on any phones. Here is how original touch tone keypads were envisioned:

ABCD ended up being used for network control, and those buttons were never included on actual phones.

However, '80s and '90s computer modems all had the capability to dial A, B, C, and D.

The "0" button was designed both as a numeric digit and to access the operator -- something very important up until the mid-1990s. Now, there is very little use for the operator.

On a side note, if you ever called the operator in the past and spoke to a woman who sounded hot, don't feel bad that you never got a chance to meet her. Most telephone company call-centers had (and still have) an extreme obesity problem, and most telephone operators (at least since 1980) were well over 250 pounds. This typically applied to both males and females.

Load Metric
    I think we're next in line for a change in the Seattle area, which has been 206 since day one. This area code must serve a population of 1 mil +. I think the only reason it hasn't changed is because so many now are using cell phones that aren't the same area code. Same situation on the "east side" (Bellevue), with area code 425 with 1 mil + population.

It's hard to understand why LV needed to make a change while larger populations haven't done so as of yet.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    408 appears to be extinct as well

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sitting Out View Post
    I think we're next in line for a change in the Seattle area, which has been 206 since day one. This area code must serve a population of 1 mil +. I think the only reason it hasn't changed is because so many now are using cell phones that aren't the same area code. Same situation on the "east side" (Bellevue), with area code 425 with 1 mil + population.

It's hard to understand why LV needed to make a change while larger populations haven't done so as of yet.
    to give you an idea of why it may happen like this, I happen to have a 702 Vegas phone number for one of my Google Voice accounts. Lot of people have phone numbers for places like Vegas, NYC, DC, without ever stepping foot in the area. Probably fewer people looking to do so with cities like Seattle.

Thread Information