Page 77 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2767737475767778798081 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 1729

Thread: Game of Meh

Load Metric
    dude its a coin flip that the opening shot next week is jon standing over arya's corpse. expect nothing but disappointment, is my advice.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    shout out to literally everyone hating the last episode.

https://www.wired.com/story/game-of-...s-recap-s8-e5/
    "Sure, she can rule over the ashes as Queen of Bones, but as much as the show wants us to think that she's gone Lawful Evil, this is some Chaotic Evil shit for sure. She's not a good guy gone bad, doing terrible things because the ends justify the means; she's the Joker, robbing a bank and then setting all the money on fire just to watch it burn.

Daenerys is not a good guy gone bad, doing terrible things because the ends justify the means; she's the Joker, robbing a bank and then setting all the money on fire just to watch it burn. If that feels like a nonsensical and unsatisfying conclusion to the narrative arc of a beloved character, wait till you get a load of Arya!"

Ouch. Tough but fair though.

Load Metric
    Name:  IMG_20190514_091304.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  89.4 KB

Comments

blake:

Load Metric
    slate had a decent opinion piece, stating that the writers are cleanly going For surprise (wtf moments) over substance, which is definitely fair

another interesting point made in that article is that by doing so, the show might be the last television series that we as a nation collectively watch together when it airs live . Hell I turned off my the 76ers-raptors game seven to watch Game of Thrones because I was not going to have the end spoiled for me.

I hope there’s more shows like this in the future but I’m not optimistic. maybe all of the spinoffs they’re doing

Diamond
    Load Metric
    CHERNOBYL IS GOD, GOT IS 4 FAGS

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    vaughn did have dany pegged as evil back in 2016 though.

we all agree the show could have gone another 7 years to fit everything in, but i'm surprised you (vaughn) weren't pleased with the way they did it.

i thought dany going mad queen would never happen early, and then thought the writers were swerving us with so many hints about it this year, that i was shocked the way it ultimately happened.

criticisms aside, i hope you all can acknowledge this show is clearly the greatest show of all time and there isn't even a 2nd place that deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence
    Sorry, Breaking Bad was the best show ever. I’m going with a long shot, and my favorite character, Arya, to sit on the Iron Throne.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnP View Post

And I'm pretty sure there was on offer to extend the series even more a couple years ago, but these nerds declined. I'm assuming they declined to try and cash in on another project as quickly as possible. What Sonatine said about the post source material nosedive is the truest thing in this thread.
    Lol these guys are doing a star wars trilogy next so have fun with that
    ROFL. I just saw the articles announcing that. It's obvious these nerds were trying to finish whatever contract they were under. I don't blame them for probably making 5-10x more off of one movie than they made for the entire run of this show, but this failure of a final season is what they'll be remembered for. I seriously think Blake is the only person across, forums, social media and real life I've encountered that's defending this joke. I wouldn't want these guys doing shit with Star Wars if I were Disney. I don't think these guys can create without an overly detailed manual from a full blown autist.
    Last edited by VaughnP; 05-14-2019 at 08:37 AM.

Load Metric

Lol these guys are doing a star wars trilogy next so have fun with that
    ROFL. I just saw the articles announcing that. It's obvious these nerds were trying to finish whatever contract they were under. I don't blame them for probably making 5-10x off of one movie that they made for the entire run of this show, but this failure of a final season is what they'll be remembered for. I seriously think Blake is the only person across, forums, social media and real life I've encountered that's defending this joke. I wouldn't want these guys doing shit with Star Wars if I were Disney. I don't think these guys can create without an overly detailed manual from a full blown autist.
    quick reminder that vaughn believes that any ending where jon is king is too obvious. and sadly, vaughn is far too representative of internet nerds

and you guys wonder why the writers feel the need to throw absurd surprises out there.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nunbeater View Post
    At this point I'm like fuck it, the last three episodes could be the dragons shitting in Cersei's mouth and GOT would still be one of the greatest shows ever. I think that the books were GRRM giving a middle finger to book readers i.e. Red Wedding and all the other ways he subverted and perverted tropes, and now the post-book seasons are D&B giving TV viewers the middle finger.

Holy fuck everyone is mad that the story is not going the way they think it should. Oh big bad built up over 8 seasons? Boom they merced his ass the same way the merced Ned's ass way back when. How do you shock people that are expecting to get shocked? You play it in the opposite direction. Yeah it was cheesy in some cases where niggas was surrounded and it looked hopeless and hot damn did the fighting intensity of the wights drop 99.9% by the time the Night King made it to Bran but now everyone is like wtf no one important died. Which fuck you because Theon was one of the greatest characters in the show. Maybe the greatest.

I think they are damned if they do and damned if they don't at this point because for some reason people think that they know how to do the story better than the people making it (see The Last Jedi etc) but the thing is now that actual mains can start dying it will have more of an impact and I think the last three episodes are gonna fucking be insane.

I did jump up and shout when Arya merced that motherfucker too. People are upset but I think they played that perfect. Again subverting tropes, the hot tortured warrior is totally supposed to kill the big bad....but he doesn't.

Jon fails Arya impales.

underrated post right here folks

Load Metric
    I seriously think Blake is the only person across, forums, social media and real life I've encountered that's defending this joke.
    pfa readers likely have no idea who vaughnp, which is understandable. please keep in mind that vaughn is the poker forum equivalent of skip bayless who insists on having contrarian shit takes on literally every subject. it's honestly nauseating.

but yeah vaughn, i'm the only one who's enjoyed this season

also those effects... arent great.

loved regardless.
    couple of thin spots but overall im very pleased with the first 100 minutes of the season and i especially admire sansa's s&m gear.
    i literally applauded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post

It was a great episode but it was hardly the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    great tense-ass show, and we've still got Clegane-Bowl on the schedule, I hope
    Definitely one of the most entertaining pieces of television I've ever watched, especially in the moment with all the constant tension and surprises.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Went in with low expectations. Ended up pleasantly surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    we all have the "rushed last 2 seasons" complaint, and we'll forever have it, but jesus what a fun TV series to watch.

all comments from this thread about this season

Load Metric
    and, again, i didn't even like what they did to dany in the end. and also holy fuck is this season rushed.

but to say this season hasn't been overall entertaining just makes you a douchebag.

Load Metric
    Are you incapable of seeing things as a whole? Of course there were moments people enjoyed, but the season was a plane heading towards a mountain and this last episode just tanked the entire thing to point of crash survivors turning to cannibalism. It's like seeing an attractive looking girl in a dark club only later to realize that it's actually a dude with a dick on closer inspection.

Gold
    Load Metric
    and, again, i didn't even like what they did to dany in the end. and also holy fuck is this season rushed.

but to say this season hasn't been overall entertaining just makes you a douchebag.

The season has been a spectacle. Whether that is a good or bad thing is completely subjective.

What's not really debatable is that the quality of writing and justification for certain plot elements has been complete dogshit.

To be fair it's been like this for numerous seasons but it was always going to stand out more, and be critiqued to a higher degree, in a truncated final season. They left too many plot threads unresolved to be handled in a 6 episode finale, even though they were offered 10.

Gold
    Load Metric

Load Metric

this is the worst take in this thread.
    Its literally his only take on any media topic.

Load Metric
    Are you incapable of seeing things as a whole? Of course there were moments people enjoyed, but the season was a plane heading towards a mountain and this last episode just tanked the entire thing to point of crash survivors turning to cannibalism. It's like seeing an attractive looking girl in a dark club only later to realize that it's actually a dude with a dick on closer inspection.
    nah, the fact that dany went crazy doesn't change the way people thought about prior episodes and that a ton of people have enjoyed this season as i've pointed out.

lol at the dany heel turn causing everyone to get caught up in their feelings cause they're not getting the ending they like.

Load Metric

The season has been a spectacle. Whether that is a good or bad thing is completely subjective.

What's not really debatable is that the quality of writing and justification for certain plot elements has been complete dogshit.

To be fair it's been like this for numerous seasons but it was always going to stand out more, and be critiqued to a higher degree, in a truncated final season. They left too many plot threads unresolved to be handled in a 6 episode finale, even though they were offered 10.
    i actually think the writers have done as good a job as possible wrapping up everything in 6 episodes, considering how extensive the storylines have been

of course, adding 3 more seasons would have been the optimal play

Load Metric
    slate had a decent opinion piece, stating that the writers are cleanly going For surprise (wtf moments) over substance, which is definitely fair

so where was the surprise?

show:

was there any real doubt how that vision was going to come to pass?
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Gold
    Load Metric
    That's fine and all, but don't blame the people that are unhappy with the final product for being pissed the showrunners chose to go this route. It was their decision. Not the viewers.

Comments

blake: agreed and i'm pissed too

Load Metric

so where was the surprise?

show:

was there any real doubt how that vision was going to come to pass?

be honest....

did you think that was snow or ash when you first saw it?

Thread Information