Page 73 of 87 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 1729

Thread: Game of Meh

Gold
    Load Metric
    im glad we spent so much time with dany in essos liberating cities, learning how to rule, making tough decisions, hearing stories about how rhaegar was such a great person from ser barristan etc...all so we could get that big payoff of dany=viserys in the 2nd to last episode ever. you know you've set that up nicely when you have to spoil the outcome in the "previously on GOT" montage before the opening credits are even rolling.

Load Metric
    some of the more coge commentary tonight has been on how the deaths of principle characters for the first half of the run had meaning/messages that furthered worldbuilding and wove together disparate plot elements.

and that of late, characters die for absolutely no greater reason than clearing the chessboard.

varys death... was extremely dumb.

hound's death was extremely dumb.

jamie, cercie, sea dudes death = extremely fucking dumb and whats with sea dude literally crawling out of the ocean at the exact place and time jamie is there, what point did that serve? how was that at all meaningful to anything? so why fucking bother? and was anyone like YES JAMIE AND CERSEI GOT KILLED BY FALLING RUBBLE *FIST PUMP* so what the fuck...?

also and this is the type of writing that literally makes me feels seasick for hours after seeing it acted out; dany literally went insane and mass murdered an entire city because a dude rejected her. when we talk about 'lazy tropes', i mean.. this is a character who locked her fucking dragons in a cave for a year because they ate a little girl. and now shes like 'oh shit i guess jons not that into me, imma kill an entire fucking city'.

thats extremely dumb.

ugh.

Comments

diggydow:

Daly: Chessboard rep
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Gold
    Load Metric
    But D&D would have you believe they are being clever and "subverting expectations."

In actuality this is high-budget fanfiction.

What in the actual fuck at waiting this long to have Dany go mad queen while leaving only 80 minutes to resolve not only that development, but the entire fucking series?

Still LOLing @ "Ghost does a lot of cool stuff this season" from the vfx guy.

Comments

sonatine: honestly its not even that high budget.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    sea dude literally crawling out of the ocean at the exact place and time jamie is there, what point did that serve?
    that was DnD blowing their load all over our stupid fucking faces

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nunbeater View Post
    sea dude literally crawling out of the ocean at the exact place and time jamie is there, what point did that serve?
    that was DnD blowing their load all over our stupid fucking faces
    I liked how euron looked up directly at the camera and basically broke the 4th wall to tell us he's the man that killed Jaime Lannister. That was good writing.

Never forget that one of these assholes is responsible for X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Platinum
    Load Metric
    By a show of hands, how many of you continue to watch only so you can participate in the nit-picking circle jerk that is this thread?

Comments

gauchojake: rofl

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post
    By a show of hands, how many of you continue to watch only so you can participate in the nit-picking circle jerk that is this thread?
    It's called being pot-committed

Load Metric
    some of the more coge commentary tonight has been on how the deaths of principle characters for the first half of the run had meaning/messages that furthered worldbuilding and wove together disparate plot elements.

and that of late, characters die for absolutely no greater reason than clearing the chessboard.

jamie, cercie, sea dudes death = extremely fucking dumb and whats with sea dude literally crawling out of the ocean at the exact place and time jamie is there, what point did that serve? how was that at all meaningful to anything? so why fucking bother? and was anyone like YES JAMIE AND CERSEI GOT KILLED BY FALLING RUBBLE *FIST PUMP* so what the fuck...?

also and this is the type of writing that literally makes me feels seasick for hours after seeing it acted out; dany literally went insane and mass murdered an entire city because a dude rejected her. when we talk about 'lazy tropes', i mean.. this is a character who locked her fucking dragons in a cave for a year because they ate a little girl. and now shes like 'oh shit i guess jons not that into me, imma kill an entire fucking city'.

thats extremely dumb.

ugh.
    counterpoints:

who gives a fuck about varys or the hound? they could have been absent this entire season and no one would have noticed. the hound obv needed to fight gregor. it is not extremely dumb that he would have died during it.

i was rooting for something else for jaime and cersei, but them dying together with the walls literally crumbling down around them makes a lot of sense.

i think you're getting emotional as to how you wanted this to end. they've been teasing the mad queen for a while. so much so, that i didn't think they'd go through with it.

but it is funny watching the twitter reaction of people "HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO DANY???"

Load Metric
    but in all seriousness, if there is a message to be learned here -- and i'm not sure that there is -- it's that bitches be crazy and that they are all inherently evil, regardless of how they may originally appear.

Comments

gauchojake: bitchezbecrazyjuno

Load Metric

solid analysis

honestly the mad queen foreshadowing has been going on since she refused to look away when seeing her brother get melted in season 1

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post

thats extremely dumb.

ugh.
    counterpoints:

who gives a fuck about varys or the hound? they could have been absent this entire season and no one would have noticed. the hound obv needed to fight gregor. it is not extremely dumb that he would have died during it.

i was rooting for something else for jaime and cersei, but them dying together with the walls literally crumbling down around them makes a lot of sense.

i think you're getting emotional as to how you wanted this to end. they've been teasing the mad queen for a while. so much so, that i didn't think they'd go through with it.

but it is funny watching the twitter reaction of people "HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO DANY???"
    You kind of answered your own argument. Another "forest for the trees" moment... As a combined work, Varys would be near the top of character power rankings despite the atrocity in writing that has been the last two seasons.

Load Metric
    Also, see the Skatz thread from three years ago where I told you how it would end, and you insisted Dany would be the noble ruler.

People didn't and still don't seem to understand the divisions in the show. Dany was motivated by her own selfish goals, the Lannisters by family at all costs, and the Starks, obviously Jon at the forefront, by not just family but the good of everyone. It was always going to end this way. The most selfish is actually the most evil, shocker. They just rushed to it and have butchered it unbelievably.
    Last edited by VaughnP; 05-13-2019 at 06:36 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnP View Post
    Also, see the Skatz thread from three years ago where I told you how it would end, and you insisted Dany would be the noble ruler.

People didn't and still don't seem to understand the divisions in the show. Dany was motivated by her own selfish goals, the Lannisters by family at all costs, and the Starks, obviously Jon at the forefront, by not just family but the good of everyone. It was always going to end this way. The most selfish is actually the most evil, shocker. They just rushed to it and have butchered it unbelievably.
    i believe i said that jon ending up on the throne is the only logical outcome and that you would complain about it

Load Metric
    As a combined work, Varys would be near the top of character power rankings
    christ.

Load Metric
    Martin is strongly anti-war, and to me the very obvious entire point of the story is "here we are fighting amongst ourselves while the true threat, death, is being ignored". It's hard to see any of the characters that have sought power being the winner. Probably more likely that no one wins, but that would be too dark. Jon is obviously the voice of Martin in the series and the logical choice, but that would be too simple and likely ruin the message. Every time I spend time analyzing the show, it seems to be one elaborate telling of the Buddhist parable about a monk, tiger, a cliff and a strawberry - seems ridiculous, but read it if you never have and get back to me.

Night King -1000.

“I don’t think of him as evil, I think of him as Death,” Benioff told Entertainment Weekly...

jon being king, while obvious, would also be the only thing that makes any sense considering all of the backstory, prophecies, etc.

jon being king would also receive zero criticism

Load Metric
    vaughn did have dany pegged as evil back in 2016 though.

we all agree the show could have gone another 7 years to fit everything in, but i'm surprised you (vaughn) weren't pleased with the way they did it.

i thought dany going mad queen would never happen early, and then thought the writers were swerving us with so many hints about it this year, that i was shocked the way it ultimately happened.

criticisms aside, i hope you all can acknowledge this show is clearly the greatest show of all time and there isn't even a 2nd place that deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence

Load Metric
    jesus i just realized i'm going to have to live with insufferable SJW's complaining that a white male took the throne from a woman

-end rant

Comments

RealTalk: You deserve it for thinking this season is good

Load Metric
    jon being king, while obvious, would also be the only thing that makes any sense considering all of the backstory, prophecies, etc.

jon being king would also receive zero criticism

That post wasn't meant to be taken entirely seriously (if night king -1000 wasn't obvious enough). I was rooting for the night king, but there's no way they would end the story that darkly. How they ended that storyline too was an abomination. And I've had her pegged as evil for way longer than 2016.

Load Metric

solid analysis

honestly the mad queen foreshadowing has been going on since she refused to look away when seeing her brother get melted in season 1

its weird having to explain this... again: the madness of queen dany was the Super Obvious Theme and anyone who thought it wouldnt happen was hoping the foreshadowing was going to be either parlayed into a gotcha, eg dany sacrifices herself or her dream for jon, or that they would at least approach dany's madness in an artful way. neither of these happened, and thats problematic writing. that shes bonkers is a surprise to no one, but that she would turn into a mass murderer because her bae got killed is extremely weird, how many times has she said she didnt want to be a 'queen of ashes'? note that in the books in the books, even dany her fucking self was worried it would happen, so its not like its some remarkable observation that she was capable of a heel turn, it just shows a lack of imagination basically.

but whats most problematic is that the entire arc of her madness started with the 'murderous ex girlfriend' trope. there were a million roads to that destination and they chose the laziest mcroad of them all. its gross and shitty.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Thread Information