Page 57 of 87 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1729

Thread: Game of Meh

Load Metric
    i love how daario naharis got totally blanked and for all intents no longer exists.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    LITERALLY BLANKED HIM

Load Metric
    Been a great series this one just a shame only 2 more eps left hopefully they make each one 90mins next season as has been rumored

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    i love how daario naharis got totally blanked and for all intents no longer exists.
    Dude was hella extravagant in the books. Unfortunately he made ser jorah seem exciting on screen so im not sure well ever get back to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment

Load Metric
    Fermented crab tho?

Comments

Daly: Don't knock it till you try it.

Load Metric
    For those of you scoring how fast things are moving now:

Gendry went from missing for 4 seasons to Flea bottom to Dragonstone to the other side of the wall in 20 screen time minutes.

Comments

varys: Also suddenly had 80% of the dialog in all his scenes

Load Metric
    never would have remembered that dude existed if you hadn't mentioned him.

is there any reason to think we're going to see anything of note on Essos from here on out, save for maybe Braavos? Is Essos likely out of sight, out of mind the rest of the way?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    never would have remembered that dude existed if you hadn't mentioned him.

is there any reason to think we're going to see anything of note on Essos from here on out, save for maybe Braavos? Is Essos likely out of sight, out of mind the rest of the way?
    All Westeros all the time now IMO, save the Iron Bank.

Anyone ever stop to think that if the Iron Bank is so rich and powerful and the Citadel is so smart and prestigious why neither of those two institutions are running the world.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Anyone ever stop to think that if the Iron Bank is so rich and powerful and the Citadel is so smart and prestigious why neither of those two institutions are running the world.
    They are, just indirectly. Kind of like the real world.

This is kind of a recurring theme in the show (I haven't read the books), with people like Baelish and Varys manipulating things behind the scenes. They believe that information and informal alliances give them power. Their interests often conflict with actual rulers like Cersei who see things differently.

Comments

Daly: Fair point.
    Last edited by SrslySirius; 08-14-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Load Metric
    Didn't he get put in charge of at least one of those former slave cities?

Comments

Crowe Diddly: Meereen rep

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post

Jon Snow's parents were both noble, but they weren't married. I think that makes him ineligible.

Rhaegar's was married to Elia Martell. Tywin Lannister had her and her kids murdered because they had a claim to the throne.

UH OHHHHH....
    I thought about that post, too, when Gilly said that.

It actually doesn't make that much difference. It just means he has the paperwork necessary to be the King of Westeros. But it's not like being a bastard prevented him from getting the loyalty of every house in the north. There is no independent mediation board for succession claims. Whoever is backed up by the most nobles with the most soldiers gets to be in charge. They mention a couple times that Stannis Baratheon really should have been king, but nobody liked him.

In the show, we only hear the Stark-Baratheon narrative that Lyanna Stark was kidnapped and raped by Rhaegar Targaryen. But there's never been any evidence that that was the case. Are the books any different?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    They are, just indirectly. Kind of like the real world.

This is kind of a recurring theme in the show (I haven't read the books), with people like Baelish and Varys manipulating things behind the scenes. They believe that information and informal alliances give them power. Their interests often conflict with actual rulers like Cersei who see things differently.

A theme of the show for sure. Armies = Power. Magic = Power. Money = Power. Knowledge = Power. God = Power. Each one trumps the next in a circle depending on the character and situation.

I seem to recall scenes early on in the show where Tywin and Robert had said something along to lines of "we can't fuck with the Iron bank or they will destroy plus". To me that makes it sound like they are the most powerful force in the world.

Load Metric
    Doesn't the Iron Bank kind of rule the world, anyway? I don't think they care about the doings in Westeros as long as they are getting interest payments. One ruler borrowing is as good as the next.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ToasterOven View Post
    Doesn't the Iron Bank kind of rule the world, anyway? I don't think they care about the doings in Westeros as long as they are getting interest payments. One ruler borrowing is as good as the next.
    kingmaker is probably a much better, safer, longer lasting position to hold than king.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    Didn't he get put in charge of at least one of those former slave cities?

yeah im just saying, he was a major player and now he's literally a politician in some dusty backwater slave port.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    fun fact about the bank; they might not actually back cersei with another loan for mercenaries because how exactly can she make payments with winter coming.. she had absolutely nothing to pay the bank with until she cashed the tyrell check and that was one-and-done so shes not a great credit risk, simply put.

also i was kind of surprised to see cersei/jamie basically admit they had virtually no army after the dragonblitz. it didnt seem like that many people were on the battlefield, maybe i need to rewatch, but if what they said was accurate, they really are proper fucked; sansa literally has a bigger army than the lannisters at this point, by a huge margin.

Load Metric
    fun fact about the bank; they might not actually back cersei with another loan for mercenaries because how exactly can she make payments with winter coming.. she had absolutely nothing to pay the bank with until she cashed the tyrell check and that was one-and-done so shes not a great credit risk, simply put.

also i was kind of surprised to see cersei/jamie basically admit they had virtually no army after the dragonblitz. it didnt seem like that many people were on the battlefield, maybe i need to rewatch, but if what they said was accurate, they really are proper fucked; sansa literally has a bigger army than the lannisters at this point, by a huge margin.
    That was kind of a sticking point for the whole season for me. It was the Lannisters plus a few random houses (and Euron) against Dragons, Dothraki, Tyrell, Dorne, unsullied, joining with all the north. It was going to have to end quickly on the military side. The really have to move to palace intrigue on the iron throne front.

Load Metric
    I do think that Cersei knowing that Tyrion and Jaime met is solid proof that Varys is a double agent. Who else could have tipped her off?

Comments

sonatine: cogest

Banned
    Load Metric
    I do think that Cersei knowing that Tyrion and Jaime met is solid proof that Varys is a double agent. Who else could have tipped her off?
    That made me roll my eyes at first, because it's completely unbelievable that she would just allow him to leave. So I'm going to assume that she learned about it after the fact.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    That made me roll my eyes at first, because it's completely unbelievable that she would just allow him to leave. So I'm going to assume that she learned about it after the fact.

this is a fair point but im still a long way from dismissing the theory, as capturing tyrion would essentially tip her hand about varys.

Thread Information