Size:  98.1 KB

Load Metric
    Name:  731050D0-DBA6-4A8C-8B20-F0B38EA09D6D.jpeg
Views: 372
Size:  767.1 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    i literally applauded.
    episode was great. i was on the edge of my seat from start to finish. literally every scene was filmed brilliantly.

i'm a bit surprised that the night king was taken out in the same episode the battle began, but i'm good with it, especially considering that we can now focus entirely on the upcoming war for the throne, which is the more interesting storyline imo

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    i literally applauded.
    episode was great. i was on the edge of my seat from start to finish. literally every scene was filmed brilliantly.

i'm a bit surprised that the night king was taken out in the same episode the battle began, but i'm good with it, especially considering that we can now focus entirely on the upcoming war for the throne, which is the more interesting storyline imo

i was definitely expecting more pieces to get swept off the chessboard before this point.

a lot of the world war z stuff kinda didnt land with me and i honestly got kinda fed up with the constant wide-angle-shot-where-the-protagonists-are-about-to-get-overrun-but-miraculously-after-they-cut-back-10m-later-they-are-doing-fine tropeware moments but really i couldnt be happier with how it wrapped up, all those threads were woven together quite well imo.

but yeah almost 4 hours left for this to go to hell but even if we end up there, its going to have to be reallllly fucking bad to take the shine off tonights ep.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    great tense-ass show, and we've still got Clegane-Bowl on the schedule, I hope.

one of my favorite parts was the red bitch lighting the swords, then they all go out a few minutes later. Ah, well.

Did Bran actually do anything? He warged out for a few, but other than literally just sit there, did he do anything to affect anything? Obv he was super important just as the lure, I guess I expected a bit more? His pep talks, maybe?
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 04-28-2019 at 08:01 PM.

Load Metric
    I'm not sure I like the direction the show is going here. That was....while entertaining....complete old hollywood bullshit.

edit: just read this on the ringer and i agree:

Like so much of Game of Thrones’ final seasons, the Battle of Winterfell worked backward from a dramatic conclusion, and undercut its satisfaction in the process.

Comments

Daly: This. 100% this
    Last edited by gut; 04-28-2019 at 09:01 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    I'm not sure I like the direction the show is going here. That was....while entertaining....complete old hollywood bullshit.

edit: just read this on the ringer and i agree:

Like so much of Game of Thrones’ final seasons, the Battle of Winterfell worked backward from a dramatic conclusion, and undercut its satisfaction in the process.

i think its up to people to recognize that they arent going to get The Ending They Really Want because it doesnt really exist at this point, so they really have to temper expectations and if they dont its on them.

its a battle ep and a building block. i would have preferred it being a single two hour episode... somehow... but logistically whatever its a show and they have a _dogshit_ budget and they have X minutes to wrap all this up with and they cant really break this ep into 2 separate ones so here we are.

Comments

Daly: But also this

DirtyErnie:

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    one thing thats really chaffing my tits atm... in the books, melisandre is plagued by visions of john snow while stationed at the wall. its implied that john snow is, in fact, the intended target of her help and not, in fact, stannis.. but shes too lost in the sauce to recognize this and mayhem ensues.

ok cool but exactly what the fuck role did john snow actually have in the death of the night king, beyond roping in blondie? did the lord of light seriously beat melisandre over the head with these visions just so john could rope blondie into the battle of winterfell? because he seriously did fuckall else to save the world.

genuinely curious to see what happens in the books YOU KNOW AS SOON AS GEORGE RR MARTIN DEFINITELY LIVES LONG ENOUGH TO PRINT IT.
    Last edited by sonatine; 04-29-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Load Metric
    Episode needed more scenes of Arya training.

Comments

DirtyErnie:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by devidee View Post
    Episode needed more scenes of Arya training.
    Yup. So much wasted time waiting on GMM.... could of had two more seasons to do it right.

Load Metric
    Name:  AF65F3CC-60BA-4BB3-A0EA-83819F4DBADF.jpeg
Views: 328
Size:  102.8 KB

Comments

Crowe Diddly: lol

Gold
    Load Metric
    Definitely one of the most entertaining pieces of television I've ever watched, especially in the moment with all the constant tension and surprises. The direction and pacing of the episode was top top along with the music. The episode was brilliantly shot, but holy fuck i can't get over how bad some of the writing feels in this one, like walking dead bad.

WTF are we doing with the Dothraki here? Sending them on a blind charge into the pitch black with no eyeballs on the army of the dead to get slaughtered in 30 seconds is THE dumbest thing I have ever witnessed on the show. It sure looked really cool when all their blades lit up and rode into the dark tho... Also, lets put ghost out front with the suicide mission just because.

You're telling me this collection of leadership that has oversaw or survived more military campaigns combined than anyone in Westeros thinks any of what they did was a good battle plan for an end of the world, siege warfare scenario? You have the lightly armored raiding cavalry that is used to a warm climate out in front. Then you have the unsullied and other infantry behind them, and to top that off they are in front of the trenches including the catapults/trebuchets. Shit is completely ass-backwards.

Arya killing the NK was an amazing payoff and all but literally 10 minutes earlier she can't even hide successfully from 10 wights because they have super senses and can hear droplets of blood hitting the ground. Glad she got a pep talk from the red woman and was able to get past hundreds maybe a thousand wights and all the WW generals for a sneak attack on the NK tho. Heaven forbid you actually have Jon fight the NK, end up getting his ass kicked only to have Arya arrive for the exact same sequence to finish him and save Jon. Instead we get Jon hiding from a dragon until he decides he is going to scream at it and let it blow his face off?

All that said, still was more entertaining than Endgame.

Comments

LegalizeMeth: for talking about a show with literal dragons flying through the sky as not being "realistic" enough

blake: generally agree

diggydow: it was stupid and boring
    Last edited by RealTalk; 04-30-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Arya

the way i make sense of any of this is that every single thing that happened in their world was orchestrated to put pieces in play to defeat the night king.

hence, arya seeing her father beheaded, driven to the house of the faceless man, and trained ultimately to slay the night king is a contiguous chain of events, linked to each other and everything else.

this was the gist of the red woman's message as well as thee source of her power; she too had a role to play.

because i was definitely 'hoping' for something more metaphysical from the showdown between life and death but when i view it through the above lens, it falls into place to a large degree.

also that soundtrack was transcendent and if i didnt know they couldnt afford him, id assume they brought in ryuichi sakamoto to compose it.

Load Metric

the way i make sense of any of this is that every single thing that happened in their world was orchestrated to put pieces in play to defeat the night king.
    this seems like the only way it ever could work.

when bran pre-fucked up Hodor so he could do his thang with the door, we found out that he could change the past, but the other 3 eyed raven told him to pretty much not to fuck with shit too much, to not stay with the visions for very long, or else. Knowing all that did and is and could happen, bran essentially becomes the Dr. Strange character where he has to lead the crew to the 1 outcome out of the billions where the almost omnipotent villain gets his. He sets the board, placing the pieces where they have to be when shit goes down, and even gives Theon the last bit of confidence he needs to not run away like is his nature and charge into instant death, presumably to give Arya the last few seconds to get to her spot.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

this seems like the only way it ever could work.

when bran pre-fucked up Hodor so he could do his thang with the door, we found out that he could change the past, but the other 3 eyed raven told him to pretty much not to fuck with shit too much, to not stay with the visions for very long, or else. Knowing all that did and is and could happen, bran essentially becomes the Dr. Strange character where he has to lead the crew to the 1 outcome out of the billions where the almost omnipotent villain gets his. He sets the board, placing the pieces where they have to be when shit goes down, and even gives Theon the last bit of confidence he needs to not run away like is his nature and charge into instant death, presumably to give Arya the last few seconds to get to her spot.

im on the fence about bran. one thing that struck me is that there is a moment between the night king and bran where brans like oh well, guess ill die now and then he kinda stops and looks over the night king's shoulder and is like ... huh... and the night king catches it and is like dude no fucking way and then pretty much immediately he checks his six and gets stuck. so i think its safe to say that bran isnt pulling a Leto II from Dune (GoT definitely rides Dune's dick but no one cares because all fiction writers ride Dune's dick) and that he understands the instinct of who needs to go where and when but perhaps is as in the dark about the grand scheme as everyone else.

Load Metric
    also just to muddy the water a bit more, redbae in the books is kind of a scammer. like she has real power and can do blood magic but she also fakes a _ton_ of shit to win converts and i seem to remember one of her parlor tricks is essentially mind reading people to tell them things others have told them in the past, so basically she knows how to say the right thing at the right time even tho she has no idea what the context is.

so her saying 'what do we say to the god of death' has to be looked at in the context of 'she knows if she says these words to arya, arya will remember her training and do her sneaky murdery thing' at best basically. in essence shes a mouthpiece to the lord of light.

so again we have an unseen supernatural hand moving people around on a chessboard, but its certainly not bran (jesus.. or is it?).

yes, arya caught retarded playing hide and go seek with the zombies but vintage faceless-era arya would know exactly how to be a sneaky murderbae on her home turf. so an unseen hand says the right thing at the right time (through redbae) and bobs your uncle.

bran's role imo is much more passive than the lord of light, unless he's like lol sike the lord of light is some shit i invented to get everyone in place battle of winterfell.

also i expect we will see a lot of tearjerky bloodshed soon because, as redbae put it, a lot of people have fulfilled their purpose.

Comments

Sheesfaced: Sneaky murderbae

Load Metric
    but perhaps is as in the dark about the grand scheme as everyone else.
    he gets at least flashes of the future. when he had that stream of visions a few seasons ago, the Sept exploding with wildfire was one of the visions, which was still a few shows away at that point.

On one of the Ringer podcasts, they made an interesting point about how the show has progressed from the source material on. We all (me, anyway) expected people to die by the handfuls in the last show, but people haven't died all that much since the source material ended. The interpersonal relationships have been at the forefront a lot more, and the fantasy-based storylines have suffered and been put on the back-burner. HBO prefers their stars alive, it seems.

If I could ask for and get an explanation for any single event in the series so far, it would be what the deal was with Bran warg?ing into Hodor. Or was he just watching while the old 3ER was warging into Hodor? At this point, it's my only complaint at all with the series, because it suggests either time travel or separate universes or something of that sort, but I guess it doesn't have to if the 3ER did it all those years ago and Bran merely saw it when he had to.

Load Metric
    the warging is a whoooole other can of worms because in the books, even arya is a warg. warging is yuuuuge in the books.

Load Metric
    the warging is a whoooole other can of worms because in the books, even arya is a warg. warging is yuuuuge in the books.
    so since that's not so special, being the 3ER is just being the long-lived far end of the autism spectrum.

battle of life and death with him in the center of it, and he goes sight-seeing with the birds. Story checks out.

Thread Information