Thread: Cheap Jew Tip of the Day: Gaming Airline Prices Using the 24 Hour Refund Guarantee

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Cheap Jew Tip of the Day: Gaming Airline Prices Using the 24 Hour Refund Guarantee

A little-known fact about US and Canadian airlines is that you have 24 hours to change your mind and get a full refund. Most people don't know about this, and believe that all sales are final.

In reality, you can call up within 24 hours of your purchase and request a cancellation, and you will get ALL of your money back.

American Airlines is even better. You can make a "reservation" without providing a credit card or paying for it in any way, and then select "Hold" as payment option. This holds your price for 24 hours. If the price goes down, you can simply cancel it and re-book. If the price goes up, your reservation price is honored. You can't lose!

So next time you need to purchase an airline ticket, but are worried the price might fall within the next 24 hours, don't panic. Just buy it (or in AA's case, reserve it), and check the prices over the next 24 hours.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: fairly impressive tip.

Load Metric
    I am not sure if you keep you credit card points after refund, if you did I may be a good way to run up points?
    The Alaska air Visa card gives 25000 points with your first purchase. I think that's a free $300 flight.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    So next time you need to purchase an airline ticket, but are worried the price might fall within the next 24 hours, don't panic. Just buy it (or in AA's case, reserve it), and check the prices over the next 24 hours.

In the American Airlines case, don't pay the $25 phone booking fee. After you "reserve" your airline ticket, just use the record locator they give you to pay online. If for any reason this doesn't work, call them and tell them this, and they will waive the phone booking fee.

I am not sure if you keep you credit card points after refund, if you did I may be a good way to run up points?
    The Alaska air Visa card gives 25000 points with your first purchase. I think that's a free $300 flight.[/QUOTE]

I really doubt that even if this was true Druff would be in here bragging about stealing.

Load Metric
    You can also use the FF lounge and get comped meals/drinks then decide to change your ticket to the next day. Rinse, repeat as many times as you want before finally deciding to refund the ticket. Somebody wrote a trip report on reddit a while back where he did this for a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    You can also use the FF lounge and get comped meals/drinks then decide to change your ticket to the next day. Rinse, repeat as many times as you want before finally deciding to refund the ticket. Somebody wrote a trip report on reddit a while back where he did this for a year.

Sounds like a huge loser.

Load Metric
    I love how being cheap has somehow extended to fraud here. I mean fuck most businesses in the fucking ass. I could care fucking less. But if you can justify stealing in these manners than how can you separate that from taking something off the shelf in a store?

Comments

Baron Von Strucker: Moral hi :) ground rep

Tellafriend: cogent

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    I love how being cheap has somehow extended to fraud here. I mean fuck most businesses in the fucking ass. I could care fucking less. But if you can justify stealing in these manners than how can you separate that from taking something off the shelf in a store?
    Because when they drop the program (and owe you NOTHING) or change it to where it's worthless, you made it worth your while. It's a do it to them before they do it to you kinda thing. Pokerstars.. anyone?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    I hope you're not talking about my tip, because this isn't fraudulent or unethical at all.

You have the legal right to cancel up to 24 hours and get a full refund. If you can work that to your advantage to cancel and rebook because you got a better price within that time period, that's great. You are exercising your rights, not stealing. It's the reverse of how they jack up the price based upon the computerized predicted demand. This gives you some insurance against that.

Comments

Baron Von Strucker: Good point

Load Metric
    I wasn't talking about your tip.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

The OP still remains true, but I wanted to add one more trick with AA.

If you hold the flight shortly after midnight (based upon the time zone of where you're departing), you get it until 11:59pm the following calendar day -- essentially a two-day hold.

So let's say I am buying a one-way flight from JFK (New York) - LAX.

At 9:00 pm PDT (midnight EDT) on August 8 I can place that hold, and it will be good until 8:59pm PDT on August 10.

Load Metric
    free bgc

Thread Information