Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another reason for not visiting Georgia

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post

You are right to question the basis of the study, that is a sign of intelligence. But to do so because it is from Philly? That is a sign of prejudice. The study was done at Penn, one of the top 10 universities in America.
    It is not prejudice. It is common sense. If you use a major metro area with a large minority population, it will skew the results towards the idea that gun owners are more likely to be killed. If you were to do that same study in a rural town with a mostly white population the numbers would probably skew the other way. The only way to get a true conclusion would be to draw from a sample that includes the country as a whole with a number of cities that encompass all locales large to small with diverse population breakdowns.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post

You are right to question the basis of the study, that is a sign of intelligence. But to do so because it is from Philly? That is a sign of prejudice. The study was done at Penn, one of the top 10 universities in America.
    It is not prejudice. It is common sense. If you use a major metro area with a large minority population, it will skew the results towards the idea that gun owners are more likely to be killed. If you were to do that same study in a rural town with a mostly white population the numbers would probably skew the other way. The only way to get a true conclusion would be to draw from a sample that includes the country as a whole with a number of cities that encompass all locales large to small with diverse population breakdowns.
    OK. I will concede to you that the stats might be skewed due to the location of the study, but not my central premise. This idea promulgated by the NRA, who are just pimping for the gun manufacturers, that our country will be safer if more people pack heat is insane. If some rancher in Montana wants to carry a handgun in his glove box, no big deal. If rednecks out in the country don't have a problem with their meth head neighbors possessing firearms, I really don't care either. The problem is in the cities.

Many people who possess handguns have neither the training nor the experience to use them. Add that to a traumatic, stressful situation like being assaulted, and most of them will end up either harming themselves or some innocent bystander. The idea that the average citizen can be Dirty Harry might make you feel safer, but not me. Guns in churches and bars? Really?

Load Metric
    OH MY GOD AT THIS WHOLE THREAD.

Comments

Baron Von Strucker: t v i d s . n e t thread saved
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    OH MY GOD AT THIS WHOLE THREAD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Thread Information