Thread: "Rockford Files" to be made into a movie by the writers of "Rounders"

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

"Rockford Files" to be made into a movie by the writers of "Rounders"

David Levien and Brian Koppelman, writers of "Rounders", and more recently "Oceans 13", will be bringing Jim Rockford to the big screen.

Vince Vaughn is expected to star in the movie as Jim Rockford.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0..._1432182.html?

I don't expect people under 40 to care about this, but I was a big fan of the show (admittedly in reruns, as I was only 8 when it went off the air in 1980).

They tried to remake the show for TV in 2010, but it was a complete failure, and NBC refused to air the terrible pilot:

http://www.vulture.com/2010/05/rockf...bc_reboot.html

I'm just hoping that they do a good job with the movie version (as they did with "The A-Team"), and don't turn it into a disaster like "Miami Vice".

I really hope that Levien and Koppelman understand the source material, making Rockford a somewhat cranky, hard-luck sort of guy, rather than the slick action hero type. The best thing about the original "Rockford" was the subtle humor and the realistic interaction between the oddball characters. If they're just going to turn it into a standard private investigator story, it will suck big time. It will also be a crime if they don't include the Angel Martin character.

You never know what you're going to get with Koppelman and Levien. They did a great job with Rounders, but screwed up the TV series "TILT" just 7 years later.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Real talk one of the rounders writers lives in my city, I forget which one THE JEWISH ONE lol amirite people?

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    David Levien and Brian Koppelman, writers of "Rounders", and more recently "Oceans 13", will be bringing Jim Rockford to the big screen.

I don't expect people under 40 to care about this, but I was a big fan of the show (admittedly in reruns, as I was only 8 when it went off the air in 1980).

They tried to remake the show for TV in 2010, but it was a complete failure, and NBC refused to air the terrible pilot:

I'm just hoping that they do a good job with the movie version (as they did with "The A-Team"), and don't turn it into a disaster like "Miami Vice".

I really hope that Levien and Koppelman understand the source material, making Rockford a somewhat cranky, hard-luck sort of guy, rather than the slick action hero type. The best thing about the original "Rockford" was the subtle humor and the realistic interaction between the oddball characters. If they're just going to turn it into a standard private investigator story, it will suck big time. It will also be a crime if they don't include the Angel Martin character.

You never know what you're going to get with Koppelman and Levien. They did a great job with Rounders, but screwed up the TV series "TILT" just 7 years later.
    Best news I've heard all day. OK, it's only 18 minutes into Tuesday here on the east coast, but this is still good news.

I was a huge Rockford Files fan and agree with your hopes for the movie remake. Angel Martin?! One of the best TV characters ever.

He was played by Stuart Margolin, who is still alive. Would you like to see him return as Rockford's necessarily 'much older' former San Quentin cellmate? If not, which actor could revive that Emmy Award winning role? I can imagine Vince Vaughn as Jim Rockford but an actor to play Angel Martin...??? Big shoes to fill.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SixToedPete View Post

Best news I've heard all day. OK, it's only 18 minutes into Tuesday here on the east coast, but this is still good news.

I was a huge Rockford Files fan and agree with your hopes for the movie remake. Angel Martin?! One of the best TV characters ever.

He was played by Stuart Margolin, who is still alive. Would you like to see him return as Rockford's necessarily 'much older' former San Quentin cellmate? If not, which actor could revive that Emmy Award winning role? I can imagine Vince Vaughn as Jim Rockford but an actor to play Angel Martin...??? Big shoes to fill.

I agree that it's hard to picture Angel as anyone else but Stuart Margolin.

Obviously they need to find a weasely-type actor. Maybe someone like Paul Giamatti?

When I first saw The Rockford Files, I couldn't imagine why Rockford stayed friends with Angel. As time passed and I saw more episodes, I came to understand it. Rockford had an unconventional profession, and he needed someone like Angel to help run his cons, even if Angel's two-facedness and selfishness often backfired on him. The Jim Rockford/Angel Martin friendship was one of the many interesting and unique facets of the show that I hope doesn't get lost in the movie.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also I should matter that, like all planned Hollywood movies, this may never come to pass.

Remember when "The Greatest American Hero" was supposed to be a movie, and had all of its cast already picked out?

That never came to pass.

I hope this one does, provided it's good. If it sucks, I'll be glad that it never gets made, like I was with the TV remake.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I agree that it's hard to picture Angel as anyone else but Stuart Margolin.

Obviously they need to find a weasely-type actor. Maybe someone like Paul Giamatti?

When I first saw The Rockford Files, I couldn't imagine why Rockford stayed friends with Angel. As time passed and I saw more episodes, I came to understand it. Rockford had an unconventional profession, and he needed someone like Angel to help run his cons, even if Angel's two-facedness and selfishness often backfired on him. The Jim Rockford/Angel Martin friendship was one of the many interesting and unique facets of the show that I hope doesn't get lost in the movie.
    Love the Rockford files, I didn't discover it until I watched reruns in my 20s. Great, great show. I like the Paul Giamatti suggestion, other people I thought of were Jack Black, Ben Stiller, Seth Rogan, Jon Favreau, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Jonah Hill, John Leguizamo, Sean Penn, Luis Guzman to name a few.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Maybe someone like Paul Giamatti?
    You should be a casting director. Good choice.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SixToedPete View Post

Angel played by Stuart Margolin was prolly a major reason for the shows success...Garner, Margolin, along with Noah Berry had me gluded to the T.V. every week...

Banned
    Load Metric
    Hi. I'm 26 and I used to watch Rockford Files every day. You're right though, I don't really care about a movie remake.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

I'm actually kinda happy this never happened.

As I said in the OP, "I really hope that Levien and Koppelman understand the source material, making Rockford a somewhat cranky, hard-luck sort of guy, rather than the slick action hero type. The best thing about the original 'Rockford' was the subtle humor and the realistic interaction between the oddball characters. If they're just going to turn it into a standard private investigator story, it will suck big time. It will also be a crime if they don't include the Angel Martin character."

I have a feeling they wouldn't have understood it well and ruined it. Hell, even Michael Mann ruined the "Miami Vice" movie by not understanding what was great about his own show!

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Not often we see an 8 year old bump.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Koppelman definitely would of ruined it.

I've tried to understand the love affair with this guy but I just don't get it. I know people worship Rounders and it baffles me. Terrible dialogue, ridiculous over the top characters that remind me of an SNL skit mocking some real-life counterpart the skits are based off of.

I think Scorsese could of done Rockford justice - a film like The Color of Money is a lot better than Rounders, IMO.

Thread Information