Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving from Oregon to New York, Moving Advice Needed

Load Metric

Moving from Oregon to New York, Moving Advice Needed

This community has great advice about all kinds of things.

I got two cars and a house full of stuff. What are the options to move all this shit to new place in New York?

1. Get a moving truck. How much should this cost? I dont want to get ripped off. I am guessing this could be easily be 10-15k?
    2. Get those pods and fill it up with shit and then have the company move it.
    3. Sell everything except for expensive stuff and start over.

Anyone ever do anything like this?
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post

I got two cars and a house full of stuff. What are the options to move all this shit to new place in New York?

1. Get a moving truck. How much should this cost? I dont want to get ripped off. I am guessing this could be easily be 10-15k?

What kind of cars?

Comments

rickastley: cmoney approval rep

Load Metric
    Where in NY? City or outside of the city? This is big as far as your cars are concerned.

Load Metric

If you care to manage the process a little bit:

Done the Pod thing. Offers so much flexibility.

1 Hire experienced movers to load your Pods - or find a crew and let them know there exists a Cmoney cash bonus if they can impress you with their careful handing of your stuff.

2 Pods = no rush on other end to meet truck or even find your new home. Temp controlled storage.

3 moving truck to a storage facility in NY then delivery to your home means endless manhandling of your stuff. Never good. More touches = more damage.

4 moving company will seek every opportunity to fuck you with "extras" - up to and including felonious charges using your possessions as hostage.

5 Five star Pod customer service. Call em up and they will walk you thru process.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post

What kind of cars?

ctsv and truck

btw, you should have won poster of year. big fan

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

If you care to manage the process a little bit:

Done the Pod thing. Offers so much flexibility.

1 Hire experienced movers to load your Pods - or find a crew and let them know there exists a Cmoney cash bonus if they can impress you with their careful handing of your stuff.

2 Pods = no rush on other end to meet truck or even find your new home. Temp controlled storage.

3 moving truck to a storage facility in NY then delivery to your home means endless manhandling of your stuff. Never good. More touches = more damage.

4 moving company will seek every opportunity to fuck you with "extras" - up to and including felonious charges using your possessions as hostage.

5 Five star Pod customer service. Call em up and they will walk you thru process.

appreciate it. I think the pod may be the way to go and then just get rid of all the shit isnt too expensive.

Can pods fit couches?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    Where in NY? City or outside of the city? This is big as far as your cars are concerned.

In the city. May just get rid of the cars as it sounds like they would be expensive as hell to park and never be used.

This has happened all real sudden so havent really done too much research.

btw, be in vegas in a week if you want to grab a drink or something

Load Metric
    Absolutely. Different sizes

Load Metric
    i literally do this about once a year or two.

i work exclusively with hercules movers. they moved about 1200 square feet from ny (brooklyn) to oregon for me, cost was about 5500 plus another 1000 for my car through an agency they suggested.

i pack almost all my own stuff but leave large art pieces and furniture entirely to them.

one thing i do which ive learned is a huge win; ask how many people they will be sending to pick up, and request 2 more than that number. like "i was hoping we could get X instead of Y movers that day, im on a time crunch and id gladly pay the extra". also, order pizza for movers (no beer) and tip on both sides.

btw ive used pods in the past and was not happy. shit ended up missing, as if someone pried open a corner of the pod and grabbed some stuff.

ill never do pods again. whats more, you end up moving it all yourself which is gay and for squares.

regarding packing, either go to walmart for some huge plastic bins or order them online. they are less likely to get 'accidentally' misplaced than cardboard boxes, which everyone uses and consistently get misdelivered. they generally wont survive more than 2 or 3 moves but i swear by them.

Comments

tony bagadonuts: squares
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Pods are locked using locks you supply.

just caught the "in the city" angle.

Need to have Pods deposited at final destination - then you unload. That could be a major problem. Not happening.

Never work in downtown Boston.

I am prolly calling New York experienced mover and working backward. Downtown? Careful strategic planning is needed on NY end by moving co. Blocking traffic? Permitting? Rigging?

I am now selling all my shit and moving worry free. The moving price and hassle is gonna trigger a violent episode.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 03-21-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    i literally do this about once a year or two.

i work exclusively with hercules movers. they moved about 1200 square feet from ny (brooklyn) to oregon for me, cost was about 5500 plus another 1000 for my car through an agency they suggested.

i pack almost all my own stuff but leave large art pieces and furniture entirely to them.

one thing i do which ive learned is a huge win; ask how many people they will be sending to pick up, and request 2 more than that number. like "i was hoping we could get X instead of Y movers that day, im on a time crunch and id gladly pay the extra". also, order pizza for movers (no beer) and tip on both sides.

btw ive used pods in the past and was not happy. shit ended up missing, as if someone pried open a corner of the pod and grabbed some stuff.

ill never do pods again. whats more, you end up moving it all yourself which is gay and for squares.

regarding packing, either go to walmart for some huge plastic bins or order them online. they are less likely to get 'accidentally' misplaced than cardboard boxes, which everyone uses and consistently get misdelivered. they generally wont survive more than 2 or 3 moves but i swear by them.
    This is great info. This cheaper than i thought it would be.

I have a dog so would probably drive my car there. I would feel like an asshole if I put him on a plane in cargo

Load Metric
    do not repeat do not bring cars to nyc.

unless youre ok with spending $400 a month each on parking in a garage (maybe this is ok with you, its certainly not unheard of). but youre also going to walk like 3-5 blocks to the garage to pick them up probably and pro tip youll almost never use them.

i brought my car when i moved to brooklyn and it kiiiinda fucked up my whole process. like trying to find apartments with parking was just pure scam bait. every. single. time.

"The apartment comes with parking, yes!"

<sign lease>

"Hok my friend, as soon as a spot opens up, we will get you keys to the garage. Mrs Nausbaum in 4A may be moving in 8 months, her spot will likely be next."

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    keep in mind there is probably a 10-20% seasonal fluctuation in prices and there are also X factors like, moving west might be cheaper/more expensive than moving east. you never know. call hercules and discuss with them. they have been good to me, ive probably done upwards of 20k business with them.

Load Metric

unless youre ok with spending $400 a month each on parking in a garage (maybe this is ok with you, its certainly not unheard of). but youre also going to walk like 3-5 blocks to the garage to pick them up probably and pro tip youll almost never use them.

i brought my car when i moved to brooklyn and it kiiiinda fucked up my whole process. like trying to find apartments with parking was just pure scam bait. every. single. time.

<sign lease>

"Hok my friend, as soon as a spot opens up, we will get you keys to the garage. Mrs Nausbaum in 4A may be moving in 8 months, her spot will likely be next."

Yeah, i am getting that idea. No point having a car.. Sucks because i actually like driving.

Load Metric
    keep in mind there is probably a 10-20% seasonal fluctuation in prices and there are also X factors like, moving west might be cheaper/more expensive than moving east. you never know. call hercules and discuss with them. they have been good to me, ive probably done upwards of 20k business with them.

is this them?

http://www.herculesmovers.com/

http://www.herculesmovingsystem.com/

Thanks again for the lead
    Last edited by cmoney; 03-21-2014 at 06:05 PM.

Load Metric
    http://www.herculesmovingsystem.com/

there really are options for having a car there, but its expensive. a popular trick is to rent parking in westchester or yonkers near an MTA line stop. when you want, you get on MTA for 45 minutes, jump off, and take a cab to your car. or like i said you can rent a garage space, but its a lot of overhead money wise. imo, get on google maps and find garages near you, most have websites and/or 24 hour numbers. give a call and get a quote.

Load Metric
    when i was out on long island, i rented a place up in roscoe ny to go fishing and generally embrace a simple wholesome life on demand. driving back and forth was kind of a pleasure, so in that respect im glad i had my car.

Load Metric

<sign lease>

Yeah, i am getting that idea. No point having a car.. Sucks because i actually like driving.
    Pods for long moves.

They are no rush, you pack it, you meet it and unload it. Like Sanlmar said, it is locked and kept in a climate controlled facility until your ready to schedule it to be delivered. So they are also flexible and when you want it delivered, you could always hire a couple day laborers, and just supervise them unloading it all. Pods is really a brilliant idea, and makes long moves much less stressful. Good luck and enjoy the Big Apple...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post

Pods for long moves.

They are no rush, you pack it, you meet it and unload it. Like Sanlmar said, it is locked and kept in a climate controlled facility until your ready to schedule it to be delivered. So they are also flexible and when you want it delivered, you could always hire a couple day laborers, and just supervise them unloading it all. Pods is really a brilliant idea, and makes long moves much less stressful. Good luck and enjoy the Big Apple...

Comments

garrett: I speak the truth, you ae nothing but a troll! anyway you get creeper rep bc this gif is what i envision when I think of you. Keep tryin'

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post

Pods for long moves.

Sonatine's got this right.

NY or Boston. This is not for amateurs. May even need police detail. Who the hell knows - movers.

Liberal greasing of all palms as Sonatine coaches is proper too. Accepting cash bonus is easier for them than stealing or breaking your stuff.

Thread Information