Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

Thread: Suggestions for Detroit and Toronto areas for a tourist

  1. #1
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    5810
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    39,812
    Blog Entries
    2

    Suggestions for Detroit and Toronto areas for a tourist

    In May, I will be in both Toronto and Detroit for a few days. Benjamin will be with me, so keep in mind that I have a 3-year-old when making suggestions of things to do.

    I'm looking for advice on interesting things to see/do in the area. Obviously Niagara Falls is one (80 miles from Toronto, and I was there 10 years ago). But I know very little about what there is to see in Toronto and Detroit, aside from knowing names of surrounding cities in each metro area.

    Anything you could suggest would be helpful.

    I will be driving between the two, btw. Yes, I realize they're like 230 miles apart.

  2. #2
    I hear Flint is nice that time of year.

  3. #3
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    5810
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    39,812
    Blog Entries
    2
    I knew there would be some Detroit jokes in this thread. Only took 5 minutes.

     
    Comments
      
      NaturalBornHustler: sorry couldn't resist, just teed that one right up for someone to hit it out of park

  4. #4
    How long will you be in Toronto? I'd suggest taking BW over to Toronto Island to Centreville island. Good for younger kids and not a ton of traffic during May. http://www.centreisland.ca/. Plus BW will love the boat ride across to the island.

    Toronto - CN Tower, zoo, science center

    Niagara falls - great idea. Maybe stay at waterpark hotel. Although if you're going to be back BW might appreciate it more when he's older.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Reputation
    95
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    2,316
    What type of thing are you looking for? You are traveling through my life corridor.

     
    Comments
      
      4BET: ,

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    What type of thing are you looking for? You are traveling through my life corridor.
    In my list I forgot to mention you could punch Deal in the face while you're in his backyard

  7. #7
    my first thought when i hear Toronto i think Young street, never been there but i hear it is a spicy kind of neighbourhood a bit like Commercial dr. here in vancouver. never go to a zoo anywhere it just promotes that stupid shit. you may also get the chance to see one of Toronto's 3 sports teams loose a game....except maby the bluejays.

    better would you miss TO all together and go straight to Montreal this place is special summer or winter.

    defiantly take the time to punch deal in the face.
    Last edited by Baron Von Strucker; 03-18-2014 at 12:25 PM.
    all hail Hydra



    Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

  8. #8
    Photoballer 4Dragons's Avatar
    Reputation
    2686
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    10,648
    Since i'm guessing your taking the bridge in Detroit and not the northern one, there is a Caesars Windsor that I used to go to where they have a great selection of Cuban cigars. Since you are doing some sort of family thing, if you eat pork you should hit Slow's BBQ. If not then Michael Simon has Roast downtown. Downtown is mostly an adult playground, but Greektown is interesting. I guess if you wanted to travel out of Detroit, the only suggestion would be Greenfield Village / Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. That place has no equal, and I can remember going there when I was 6.

  9. #9
    Diamond Hockey Guy's Avatar
    Reputation
    1227
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,632
    After hearing your heartfelt dedication to Canada & hockey I will suggest the Hockey Hall of Fame. It's within walking distance of the CN Tower & Roger's where the Blue Jays play.

    http://www.hhof.com/
    (_) ..
    ∫\ \___( _)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

  10. #10
    Bronze
    Reputation
    64
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Posts
    425
    There is literally dick to do In Detroit as a family except greenfield village and maybe check out the Motown museum if the boonies haven't burned that down to the ground yet. Maybe the Detroit institute of the arts but that's it. Better off going to Ann Arbor and just hanging out where at least your chances of getting robbed are less since you will be with more members of the tribe there

     
    Comments
      
      NaturalBornHustler: boonies rep
      
      Deal: Rock and Roll museum

  11. #11
    Toronto: CN Tower - a bit pricey and not especially recommended for anyone with a fear of heights. You get to ride a super fast elevator and the lower observation deck has a section with a glass floor, which you can walk on and stare down at an approximately 1000 foot drop. You can also walk around the observation deck in the open air, tethered to the building. There are higher observation decks as well with presumably better views.

    If the weather is nice, you can get baseball tickets at Rogers Centre. The upper deck is too high up to have a good view. I suggest combining it with activities at Harbourfront (a short walk south from the Stadium). If the roof is closed, don't bother going to the game as the atmosphere is reminiscent of an airplane hangar.

    If you like walking and a bit of nature, west of downtown you will find a big park named High Park. It's roughly the size of Central Park (NYC), but not landscaped. There is a huge children's playground with lots of "Jungle Jim" type stuff, good for smaller kids too.

    If you are looking for cafes and/or pizza places, I recommend Little Italy. You'll find it on College Street, between Bathurst and Dufferin. You can also find fantastic gelato (Italian ice cream) there.

    Not far from there (a few blocks south-east) is Kensington Market. It has the feel of a village, with narrow streets and various independently run (mostly) food shops. Don't know if its still there, but Mendel's Creamery is in the heart of Kensington and has a wonderful assortment of cheeses (and they are very generous with samples). Not far from there, along Spadina, you will find relatively inexpensive authentic Chinese restaurants. Always choose on the basis of percentage of customers who are Asian - the higher the better.

    If you let me know what kind of food you like, I'll give you more recommendations.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Reputation
    95
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    2,316
    Greenfield Village is a good choice. I also remember it from when I was young. I think kids enjoy the tunnel to Canada versus the bridge. I remember always looking forward to seeing the two flags in the center of the tunnel representing the border. Greektown is great for food. I like to gtfo of Detroit without stopping myself. Even at traffic lights you could find your car on jacks and tires removed.

    If you want a chicken/rib place in Windsor try the tourist trap "Tunnel BBQ" I assume it's still in business. Most of Windsor died years ago and they are trying to become a pensioners haven. It is the southern most point of the country. About 2.5 hours from Windsor along the most boring drive in Ontario is London. There you can take in Storybook gardens. Great for young ones. Fairy tales come to life.

    Early May is a bit cold yet. Simps recommendation of Toronto Island is great but I'm not sure if the attraction is open before May two four. It's still a nice spot to go if the weather is nice.

    If castles and war of 1812 battle grounds interest you there are options on the way. Dundurn comes to mind. The underground railroad is also highlighted about an hour after Windsor. I know you have great interest in the plight of the negros.

    Btw punching Capt B Zar in the nose is not recommended.

    I have had 3 boys Ben's age so can be of further assistance as a travel guide. lmk

  13. #13
    is it just me or would anybody else be interested in a druff trip to hardcore pawn?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    Greenfield Village is a good choice. I also remember it from when I was young. I think kids enjoy the tunnel to Canada versus the bridge. I remember always looking forward to seeing the two flags in the center of the tunnel representing the border. Greektown is great for food. I like to gtfo of Detroit without stopping myself. Even at traffic lights you could find your car on jacks and tires removed.

    If you want a chicken/rib place in Windsor try the tourist trap "Tunnel BBQ" I assume it's still in business. Most of Windsor died years ago and they are trying to become a pensioners haven. It is the southern most point of the country. About 2.5 hours from Windsor along the most boring drive in Ontario is London. There you can take in Storybook gardens. Great for young ones. Fairy tales come to life.

    Early May is a bit cold yet. Simps recommendation of Toronto Island is great but I'm not sure if the attraction is open before May two four. It's still a nice spot to go if the weather is nice.

    If castles and war of 1812 battle grounds interest you there are options on the way. Dundurn comes to mind. The underground railroad is also highlighted about an hour after Windsor. I know you have great interest in the plight of the negros.

    Btw punching Capt B Zar in the nose is not recommended.

    I have had 3 boys Ben's age so can be of further assistance as a travel guide. lmk
    When were you last at Storybook? It has gone to shite. Best attractions there now are splash pad, jungle gym (likely best for 7-10yr olds) and they threw in rides that are additional cost. For the price it isn't bad, but not as many memories as back in the good ole days.

     
    Comments
      
      Deal: Long Long time ago...

  15. #15
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    5810
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    39,812
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks Deal and everyone else.

    FYI I am probably going to be there in later May, rather than early May. I was at Niagara Falls on May 1, 2004, and I froze my ass off the first day before an inexplicable 20-degree warm-up the next day. But I realized I came just a little too early. I need to be back in Vegas by May 30 for the WSOP, as I will be playing on May 31 at 11am.

    Another question: Is there anything else within a few hundred miles of either Toronto or Detroit that would be worth driving to? Like even a cool scenic drive would be nice.

    Regarding the boring drive to London, I actually will be passing through Hamilton and London on the way to Detroit.

    The CN Tower sounds like a good idea. Hopefully there isn't a Canadian version of 9/11 while we're at the top.

  16. #16
    Photoballer 4Dragons's Avatar
    Reputation
    2686
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    10,648
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    is it just me or would anybody else be interested in a druff trip to hardcore pawn?

    Ahem..

    Hardcore Pawn: A Trip Report - PICS


  17. #17
    Banned
    Reputation
    95
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    2,316
    There are lots of scenic drives and or hikes available. Niagara on the Lake is one (not to be confused with Niagara Falls) From there you can snake up the shores of Lake Erie towards London. I enjoy that drive much more than the 401. Takes time though. Hiking along the escapement, lookup Bruce trail.

    If you do the CN Tower you might get roped into the new Ripley's aquarium at the base. It's quite good if you avoid prime times.

    I love the war plane museum at Hamilton airport. Great tours, no crowds. Ben can climb in cockpits etc. Very kid friendly. From there drive south to Lake Erie and then head West on a casual drive. Once you get bored head back North to the 401. If you are stopping in London and have any interest in Insulin. The Banting museum is interesting.

  18. #18
    Why would you want to go any place near the armpit of America. I can't really speak for Toronto but Detroit and Niagra Falls? Come on man.

  19. #19
    Gold 4BET's Avatar
    Reputation
    28
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    1,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Thanks Deal and everyone else.

    FYI I am probably going to be there in later May, rather than early May. I was at Niagara Falls on May 1, 2004, and I froze my ass off the first day before an inexplicable 20-degree warm-up the next day. But I realized I came just a little too early. I need to be back in Vegas by May 30 for the WSOP, as I will be playing on May 31 at 11am.

    Another question: Is there anything else within a few hundred miles of either Toronto or Detroit that would be worth driving to? Like even a cool scenic drive would be nice.

    Regarding the boring drive to London, I actually will be passing through Hamilton and London on the way to Detroit.

    The CN Tower sounds like a good idea. Hopefully there isn't a Canadian version of 9/11 while we're at the top.
    Cedar point is a great place to take the family and You should check out co america park when in Detroit

     
    Comments
      
      Deal: Cedar point is a bit out of the way. Canada's Wonderland is the place to go on this trip, ben is a bit young yet.
      
      Pooh: I like your style.
    -Allergic to the struggle

  20. #20
    Photoballer 4Dragons's Avatar
    Reputation
    2686
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    10,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    Why would you want to go any place near the armpit of America. I can't really speak for Toronto but Detroit and Niagra Falls? Come on man.
    You do understand that half of this board is from Detroit right?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. how to get cablevision in nyc/ct area at a lower price
    By mulva in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-10-2014, 12:06 AM
  2. PFA members in the LA area...
    By varys in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-10-2014, 11:20 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-07-2013, 09:22 AM
  4. Hey Florida, visit Toronto sometime:
    By Deal in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-08-2013, 10:28 AM
  5. Chicago area casinos
    By Walter in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-08-2013, 10:59 AM