Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lock Poker giving up, returning to the scene as "Superwins"?

Load Metric
    I have been very quiet regarding my departure from Low Limit Poker Radio. I will admit that LLPR going to bed with Pokerforums.org and their association with Lock Poker was one of several reasons why I no longer associate with that podcast.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The well has been dry for a while now. I wonder how long Jenny and the shady crew can continue to survive? It seems they are desperate praying a good exit strategy will come but what value does a failed poker site have besides the a user list of gambler names they can sell which I hate when companies do that but it happens all the time. My guess is UB sold my name since I used to get a bunch of postcards in the mail from various gambling sites and of the ones I signed up for UB was the most logical choice to do this.

Anyways, I think it's LOL that Melanie Weiser can take a few hours of her time out to do Live at the Bike this week but when it came to Lock Poker and the accusations of her taking advantage of a special speed cashout option she used for her own financial gain she refused to take a minute to comment on it.

Name:  weisnerliveatthebike.PNG
Views: 804
Size:  870.8 KB

Load Metric
    She looks 35 there. Either shes aged or its her famous variance again.

Comments

Belly Buster: variance is a bitch

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by UseHerName View Post
    Having seen the crashing debacle that is/was Lock, can anyone be surprised? It was run off a kitchen table.
    You're not even kidding.

Calvin Ayre reported years ago that Lock was being run from Jen Larson's condo when it first went up.
    Not even a whiff of sarcasm.

Yep he was right, it was a cottage industry. From what I know of their commercial dealings..things like due diligence, capacity, ability were at best minimal. And that's me giving some benefit of the doubt.

Poker Investigative Journalist
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

You're not even kidding.

Calvin Ayre reported years ago that Lock was being run from Jen Larson's condo when it first went up.

Yep he was right, it was a cottage industry. From what I know of their commercial dealings..things like due diligence, capacity, ability were at best minimal. And that's me giving some benefit of the doubt.
    It's kind of sad to realize that's where the poker industry sank to, post-UIGEA, when a person such as Larson was able to establish a strong US-facing toehold. For a few months there Lock might have been the largest US-facing site. While the PPA and I are likely to have another major disagreement very soon, I do agree that the Lock experience is a made-to-order object lesson arguing for proper regulation and legitimacy.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by IHasTehNutz View Post
    Just want to say +1 to Mr. Druff for the links and also...

Name:  
Views: 
Size:

Got the ball rolling on this and hopefully will be a part of a future webcast to continue to spread the word. Also got wind of an extensive article about to be published on this subject. Should be good to see it properly highlighted.
    Definitely. I'm looking forward to having you on the webcast on Monday. Thanks!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by haleylh View Post

It's kind of sad to realize that's where the poker industry sank to, post-UIGEA, when a person such as Larson was able to establish a strong US-facing toehold. For a few months there Lock might have been the largest US-facing site. While the PPA and I are likely to have another major disagreementp very soon, I do agree that the Lock experience is a made-to-order object lesson arguing for proper regulation and legitimacy.
    I hope we won't have a major disagreement. Feel free to reach out to John Pappas or me if you have any questions.

P.S. Your deconstruction of Thackston's collusion argument was terrific.

Poker Investigative Journalist
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by haleylh View Post

It's kind of sad to realize that's where the poker industry sank to, post-UIGEA, when a person such as Larson was able to establish a strong US-facing toehold. For a few months there Lock might have been the largest US-facing site. While the PPA and I are likely to have another major disagreementp very soon, I do agree that the Lock experience is a made-to-order object lesson arguing for proper regulation and legitimacy.
    I hope we won't have a major disagreement. Feel free to reach out to John Pappas or me if you have any questions.

P.S. Your deconstruction of Thackston's collusion argument was terrific.
    I know that, and I really don't have any personal dislike for you or John. You're protecting your self-interests, financially and professionally, and that's how it goes.

Now, and this should probably go in that other thread, but since you've addressed me here, that's fine. I'm mindful of that attack piece John spewed at me via P5s regarding my series last year, and all the wrongful stuff it contained. I just left that matter sit after that, because I figured more of the story would come out. And now it has. I'm also now aware that virtually everything I asserted as being probable in that series last year is factually true, despite the attacks. There are some things that John said that were technically true in the very narrowest sense, but can now only be properly understood as lies of omission and misdirection.

I also saw Sanimar's comments over there in the other thread. The problem with his complaints is that the sites I write for want me to write long-form, and if I tried to tell this tale in four sentences, I'd spend twice as much time explaining things after the fact anyway. So sorry, Sanimar, can't help ya. (Odd, I just checked, and that post has now been deleted. But whatever -- I get what he was saying and there's some merit to it, but I still can't comply.)

But I haven't written the whole story yet, and part of that is that I needed to allow at least 24 hours for Ifrah to respond to a formal interview request. He didn't respond, and I didn't expect he would anyway. John sort of forfeited the right for me to need to approach him in a similar manner after that attack-dog stuff last year. He never did have a right of first refusal, if you get what I'm saying.

Now, I also get that your post above is something of a peace offering, and while I don't mind the thought of that, the truth is that it wouldn't matter because of anti-poker forces larger than any of us. It took me maybe three days to stumble across that report, even if I did have the advantage of knowing what to look for. It was just part of my simple searching for new poker news on Google. How long do you think it's going to take for all of Adelson's minions to find the same stuff, dig through it, and find the soft spot?

Not long at all. Better prepare for it. Good chance someone among all those anti-gambling Utahns already sent it in his direction.

You have to remember that all these national reports are very public in reporting the state of Utah's calls to reopen the federal probe into the possible bribery attempts of Reid and Lee, and that points right to the poker stuff. We're not talking Haley's blahblah Poker Blog or any of the small poker sites I write for, we're talking ABC News, FOXNews, the Washington Times and a slew of others. The Utah legislature has already issued a call to the feds to reopen the investigation, and I'm sure you know that. There will be political pressure.

Pappas will most likely become collateral damage when that happens. It doesn't matter a bit that Pappas and Ifrah got their names yanked from that report, and Dave Deitch is only listed as a "consultant". (Not sure if Deitch or Zwillinger is the other gaming attorney referred to in the report, but it really doesn't matter.)

It's all gonna come out. It might take weeks, or months, maybe even another year or two. But you and I, Rich, we can't stop it. Best we can do is cut our losses.

It gives me no personal joy to have to write any of this stuff. On days like this, I can assure you that if I had independent means, I would walk away from poker and never look back. That said, someone has to write the truth about these stories, and I'm one of the people that is currently stuck with it. Maybe I'll win the lottery. If that happens, the poker world would never see me again other than peeking down at a couple of hole cards.

Frankly, I wish I wasn't on the apparent lead within the poker world on this story. It's no fun at all. But it is, right now, my job.

I look into the tea leaves and I can already see that likely scenario where Pappas is forced to resign, and frankly, the sooner he considers doing that, the better off the PPA would be. It doesn't matter what he actually knew or when. He's compromised, and he has been ever since he went to Utah. Utah! Insanity.

I have no doubt Pappas was ordered to go, and he knew it was a tar pit and didn't want to, but he went anyway. People do lots of stupid things for paychecks; it's the way of the modern world. If I were pressed to offer an opinion, I personally think Ifrah is to blame for a ton of the whole Black Friday mess, but apparently Stars thinks he's wearing a Teflon coat. You'd have thought after shelling out $700 million they'd look for alternatives, but no. Elie was already being monitored, and it took a special flavor of greed to ignore that risk.

It's going to be a loss for poker because John is articulate and intelligent and more than a match for the likes of Andy Abboud on an even platform. I don't know if you're up to that task, or what the PPA itself will do when that day comes. But I can see it coming.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IHasTehNutz View Post
    Just want to say +1 to Mr. Druff for the links and also...

Name:  
Views: 
Size:

Got the ball rolling on this and hopefully will be a part of a future webcast to continue to spread the word. Also got wind of an extensive article about to be published on this subject. Should be good to see it properly highlighted.
    Definitely. I'm looking forward to having you on the webcast on Monday. Thanks!
    Just a reminder to everyone that IHasTehNutz will be on my webcast this evening. The show starts at 8 pm EDT / 5 pm PDT. I'll have Nutz come in around 45 minutes into the program. I'm not sure if I can link the webcast, but it's not hard to find.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I wonder how much longer will will have to hear about these Lock Poker thieves? It amazes me anyone still plays on the site and that they haven't just given up yet with owing the kind of money they do with less than a hundred
    players playing on average during peak hours. Superwins will just be same old Lock.

These damn cheaters aren't going to win.

Load Metric
    Nutz just told me now that he can't make it this evening. Apparently I don't have "the nutz" for the show.
    Last edited by TheEngineer; 03-24-2014 at 06:07 PM.

Thread Information