Thread: Backpackers Beware: Crafy Asian Scam "Poker 21"

Load Metric

Backpackers Beware: Crafy Asian Scam "Poker 21"

Apparently this has been going down for a few years now and the folks who are doing it are pretty good. Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam seem to be where it originated from and there's rumors that Filipino organized crime has a hand in it. Anyone that travels to that part of the world should be aware of it (and it's probably not long before it makes its way to other areas such as South America), so just keep your head up.

Frankly for me it brought back memories of my own near-scam situation with Three-Card Monte during a trip to New York City in the early 90s...but this is much more elaborate and designed to fleece the victim of thousands. As usual, the victim's greed is this scam's greatest strength:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...readID=2197491

Don't know if this is credible, but one apparent travel blogger's juicy account of his run in with Poker 21:
    http://johnnyvagabond.com/featured/poker-scam-saigon/
    Last edited by Forum Wars; 03-06-2014 at 04:38 AM.

Load Metric
    Here's another interesting account of this scam:

http://www.tropicalmba.com/poker/

In all of the versions the scammers really seem to swing for the fences by trying to get the mark to put up tens of thousands of dollars. The scam also appears to require a ton of capital assuming all of the currency put up by the rich confederate is legit. Fascinating.

Load Metric
    interesting reading. This is always the problem with travelling in third world countries, everybody is always coming at you. I don't talk to strangers in the US, why the hell do I want to talk to some yahoo on the street of a third world country. Can you imagine getting stuck in one of these situations. makes me nervous just to read these accounts.

Load Metric
    Just use common sense and inform yourself before coming to SE Asia if you do not know much about this part of the world.

Almost 3 years in Thailand and apart from a doubled tuk tuk (local 3-wheeled taxi) fare in the first month being here nothing has happened to me.

If someone you do not know approaches you and offers something for free it is not really free.

Do not get drunk with locals you do not know for various reasons, especially if you do not know the language and the conventions.

There are many things you can fall for but if you do not act stupid and are cautious nothing should happen.

Last sentence from the linked OP is the key:
    Be safe, be aware, travel smart but of course most importantly, enjoy your travels.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinWright View Post
    Not that I believe your story but who the fuck ever gave you permission to use charitable funds for the good of your cock.

Thread Information