Thread: California couple finds $10 million in Gold on their property

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

California couple finds $10 million in Gold on their property

Must be nice! Unlike bitcoins these real ones won't change significant value overnight.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/25/us/cal...old-discovery/

California couple strikes gold after finding $10 million in rare coins
    By Dana Ford, CNN
    updated 5:24 PM EST, Wed February 26, 2014

(CNN) -- Eureka!

A husband and wife are reveling in their good fortune after finding $10 million in rare gold coins buried on their property in Northern California.

The gold country discovery is thought to be the largest of its kind in U.S. history, according to David Hall, co-founder of Professional Coin Grading Service, which authenticated the find.

"It's quite a story. People were walking along on their property in Northern California, noticed something, began digging and they found cans of gold coins," Hall said.

"It should have happened to you and me."

The incredible find

The coins were unearthed in February 2013 by the husband and wife, who wish to remain anonymous.

They were walking their dog when they spotted something shiny on the ground.

The couple dug and eventually discovered eight metal cans, containing more than 1,400 gold coins.

No one knows how they got there, or whom the coins might have belonged to.

"Somebody could have buried them and then died before they let anybody know where they were," Hall said.

"Believe it or not, I know cases where they forgot they had something, or they moved or whatever ... It could have been some kind of robbery deal ... Who knows?"

The treasure is known as the "Saddle Ridge Hoard" because it was discovered near a hill the couple called Saddle Ridge.

In their effort to stay anonymous, the husband and wife aren't saying exactly where the fortune was found.

These coins could change history

The coins

The coins, in $5, $10 and $20 denominations, date from 1847 to 1894. Most were minted in San Francisco.

They have a combined face value of about $27,000, but experts believe they could fetch $10 million or more.

Many are in pristine condition, including at least 14 coins that are considered the finest known for their date and mint mark.

A highlight from the hoard is an 1866-S No Motto Double Eagle, valued at close to $1 million.

The couple is planning to sell much of the collection.

Approximately 90% of the coins will go up on Amazon.com's "Collectibles" site, according to Don Kagin, of Kagin's, Inc., who is assisting the anonymous owners.

He told CNN the couple wants to donate some of the proceeds to charity.

"Basically they're thankful and they think it's wonderful that they're going to be able to save their property that they thought they might lose and, again, they want to give back to the community and to needy people," he said.

Collectors wanting a sneak peek can see some of the coins at the American Numismatic Association's 2014 National Money Show in Atlanta, which opens Thursday.

"Unlike other hoards and treasures, this one includes a great variety of coins struck over many different years, and many of the coins are still in pristine condition," Kagin said.

"And add to that a wonderful human interest story: this family literally found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow."

Comments

Gordman: make it rain rep

Platinum
    Load Metric
    fucking WOW

Load Metric
    Cue the inevitable tidal wave of frivolous lawsuits.

Load Metric
    I know if it wasn't on my property when I found them, they would be by the time I reported it.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    I know if it wasn't on my property when I found them, they would be by the time I reported it.

God knows I would have talked to a lawyer and a tax guy first too since they are going to be paying taxes on the profits from this....fucking govt

I know people might think that paying taxes on found money isn't such a big deal but I'm sorry that's just such shit.

Comments

Gordman: agreed

Load Metric
    Lolz.... Keep your mouth shut for Christ sakes..... The us mint is saying these coins were stolen in the 1800's and now their property.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Lolz.... Keep your mouth shut for Christ sakes..... The us mint is saying these coins were stolen in the 1800's and now their property.
    Damn, good binkage story goes wrong.

So I am wondering how the Mint proves it's their coins. Blockchain?

Here's the answer.

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2014/03/03...trove-shocker/

Looks like an inside job.

Also note that one of the coins found in the hoard was an ultra-rare 1866 Liberty $20 gold piece missing the phrase “In God We Trust” — a coin which was never released to the public and which must have been produced and kept within the mint itself.

Damn, you lose. Turn it over or give it all to the lawyers.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Yeah seriously..hey everybody...WE FOUND 10M IN GOLD!!! Maybe the news would like to hear about it? Maybe all of our friends and family? Wouldn't let a single person know I found these things, I would research first and then plot accordingly. Log onto the internet and see what you have, it really isn't that hard in 2014.

Although I am guessing there will be a fierce legal battle, pretty fucking coincidental that these coins just happen to be stolen, and now happen to be property of the government.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Not quite, check the updates and read it all the way through.

The government is going to have to prove it, and it looks like there are big discrepancies in their "story" of where this stuff came from.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post

The government is going to have to prove it, and it looks like there are big discrepancies in their "story" of where this stuff came from.
    You mean this?

Note that there is a discrepancy in the date of the supposed crime: Was it 1899, or 1901? A few pages later in the same minutes is this passage revealing that there may have been many other thefts from the mint as well, due to a plague of dishonest mint employees:

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post

You mean this?

Note that there is a discrepancy in the date of the supposed crime: Was it 1899, or 1901? A few pages later in the same minutes is this passage revealing that there may have been many other thefts from the mint as well, due to a plague of dishonest mint employees:
    That and some other stuff in there.

But my thing is the burden of proof is probably going to be on the government to prove these are the coins that were stolen....115 years ago....in that "theft". They will have many hurdles to jump to do that IMO. I could be wrong but that is the way I see it.

Like I said, long legal battle coming believe that.

Walking Image Library
    Load Metric
    Some things to remember. The gold value of their find is nowhere close to 10 million dollars. The value of the find is rarity of certain coins. There are a few coins that are expected to fetch a million a piece. I think the government will have a pretty easy case of taking those special coins away. Where would an un-circulated super mint coin come from? In 1899, they weren't selling un-circulated coins to collectors on TV.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Let me see if I got this straight:

people find lost coins on their own property, in a way doing the government a favor. If the people never found the coins or gave them up...the government still wouldn't have shit.

Now the government says "no, we want all of them and you don't get shit for finding them"

Id be like FUCK YOU!

How about I boat out to the Marianas Trench and hold them over the side of the boat and be like, give me some serious $ for finding these for YOU or i dump them....then we BOTH get nothing...and if you want to go get them, you'll spend a shit ton to retrieve them. That or threaten to simply melt the fuckers...although there isn't shit in gold value even if they do.

And the government wonders why we hate them

Isn't there some kind of a statute of limitations on this type of stuff anyway?

Comments

bukowski72: I agree. The mint should give them at least a million, They had no hand(like nazi relatives) in taking this gold.

Thread Information