Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Most Underpaid Pro Athletes

Load Metric

3 Most Underpaid Pro Athletes

Mike Trout
    22yrs

Signs 1 year/ $1 million. That was purely a good will gesture and bit of salary cap gamesmanship by Angels. This kid should be the highest paid player in baseball next year. Including pitchers. We will see.

2012. $500,000
    2013 $510,000
    2014 $1,000,000

Finished second in American League most-valuable-player voting in each of his first two full seasons. He is one of four players to hit .320 with 50 home runs and 200 runs in his first two full seasons. The others: Pujols, Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams.

Russell Wilson
    25yrs

Kid would make more as a journeyman 2nd baseman in MLB. 53rd highest paid 2nd baseman in 2012 earned $480,000. Chase Utley was $15 million.

Wilson should pull an Elway and threaten to play baseball. Elway was just an unproven prospect. Wilson has a ring.

2012 $390,000 Bonus $154,868
    2013 $526,000 Bonus $154,868
    2014 $662,000 Bonus $154,868

Richard Sherman
    25yrs

Arena ball puts cornerbacks of his caliber in a different category of compensation once reserved for running backs.

2012 $390,000 Bonus $45,606
    2013 $526,000 Bonus $45,606
    2014 $662,000 Bonus $45,606
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 02-27-2014 at 06:44 PM.

Load Metric
    To end the 2012 NFL lockout, the existing players royally fucked over all future players by agreeing to a brutally low max salary for all rookies' first 4 year contract.

Matt Flynn made more money in 2013 than Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, RG3, and Ryan Tannehill...combined. I understand that the owners want to limit their risk in paying big money to a guy who hasn't proven themselves. But I think that if a player in their rookie contract makes the Pro Bowl, that they should become a restricted free agent that summer.

Comments

vegas1369: Truth.

manowar: lol so young so naive

Indyrick: it was very one sided

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    That is the thing about early contracts with people is they don't give them a ton of money especially in baseball and many of them guys don't make it to the major leagues. When a contract works out or blows up huge like Mike Trout has he still has a contract and they won't pay him more until it's negotiation year. The Angels double his salary as a way of trying to get in good with Trout to not shop the market elsewhere even though the Angels know they will be paying him a whole lot of money next year if he for sure comes back which is likely.

In ways it sucks for a player of Trout's caliber but the risk normally don't pay off for owners since they spend a ton of money in draft picks/farm teams where many players don't work out and they can be stuck paying certain guaranteed parts of a deal.

I speak mostly of baseball because it's the toughest on the owners in regards to throwing away money with horrible contracts and players know the money is there to get so that is why most of them want a long term deal instead of several shorter ones. If the player gets hurt and never is themselves anymore the team has to just eat millions of dollars if they aren't able to get rid of that player or deal with them underachieving for years.

Load Metric
    It's interesting how a good high school multi sport athlete gets sucked into football. Football is obv where the sex & attention is in high school.

There are far more full ride scholarships for football. Once you commit, unless you are god you will never see the baseball diamond. Then you are sucked into the machine.

But you compare the stories of kids pro prospects on a college D1 team, far and away the baseball player has a better shot at more money. All during his college career the baseball player has a pretty good idea of his dollar value.

Football is a crapshoot but for very few. Even then for four rookie years there is little cash.

The freaky vision requirement for baseball is still overlooked, though.

With the recalibrated test, the average visual acuity of pro baseball players was found to be about 20--13, and only a small number of players, usually pitchers, were worse than 20--20.

Still puzzles me why baseball scouts & college coaches don't test vision. But if your kid is 20/15 and has game he stands a far better chance of some kind of career & much more $ in baseball.

I just don't get football as an athletic pursuit except for the love of the game or lack of options.

Having said all that, look at Trout - hard to explain. How did this kid not get recruited harder?

Comments

Henry: I feel young athletes are now identifying this and the best athletes of tomorrow may lean baseball

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    That is the thing about early contracts with people is they don't give them a ton of money especially in baseball and many of them guys don't make it to the major leagues. When a contract works out or blows up huge like Mike Trout has he still has a contract and they won't pay him more until it's negotiation year. The Angels double his salary as a way of trying to get in good with Trout to not shop the market elsewhere even though the Angels know they will be paying him a whole lot of money next year if he for sure comes back which is likely.

In ways it sucks for a player of Trout's caliber but the risk normally don't pay off for owners since they spend a ton of money in draft picks/farm teams where many players don't work out and they can be stuck paying certain guaranteed parts of a deal.

I speak mostly of baseball because it's the toughest on the owners in regards to throwing away money with horrible contracts and players know the money is there to get so that is why most of them want a long term deal instead of several shorter ones. If the player gets hurt and never is themselves anymore the team has to just eat millions of dollars if they aren't able to get rid of that player or deal with them underachieving for years.
    Kinda disagree here.
    That is the thing about early contracts with people is they don't give them a ton of money especially in baseball and many of them guys don't make it to the major leagues

The high school prospects, college juniors and graduates get some pretty good signing money in baseball. True most don't make it to the majors, that's a given. But if you are a college sophomore who is throwing heat in the Cape league you're looking at a million perhaps. Play some Arizona rookie league instead of working in some cubicle.

Baseball appears to have wheelbarrows of cash for prospects. Even English speaking kids.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 02-27-2014 at 09:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Kinda disagree here.
    That is the thing about early contracts with people is they don't give them a ton of money especially in baseball and many of them guys don't make it to the major leagues

The high school prospects, college juniors and graduates get some pretty good signing money in baseball. True most don't make it to the majors, that's a given. But if you are a college sophomore who is throwing heat in the Cape league you're looking at a million perhaps. Play some Arizona rookie league instead of working in some cubicle.

Baseball appears to have wheelbarrows of cash for prospects. Even English speaking kids.
    I should be a little more clear on that. Some prospects do get paid good signing money in regards to having some guaranteed income which might be for a few hundred thousand or a few million, but not everyone. If a really good player is overlooked and makes the most of his opportunity when called up then he might have to wait a few years for a solid pay day. These circumstances don't come about that often where hardly anyone saw a players potential but it happens from time to time.

Certain players just come out of no where and adapt to the MLB game right away. These guys pass all the big tests in transition while being overshadowed by hundreds of other players who aren't able to make the proper adjustments to get/stay at the major league level.

As your saying you have your guys who look strong early on whose potential has peaked yet nobody knows it yet and then you have your late developers who overpass these guys. Teams can only throw money at what they are able to see and hope enough of the money they spend becomes a good return on investment to the future of the organization.

Players are the stocks and owners are taking the big risks which I say big ones throwing a few million here or there at this point of the persons career because they don't have much information to go off on with prospects whereas your seasoned pro whose up for a new contract is going to get paid a market value of what he is worth in comparing him to other players in the league.

Load Metric
    The baseball player is making more bank from the signing of the prospect - something that really doesn't happen in football - and then throughout his major league career.

There is hardly any comparison between salaries in the MLB vs NFL.

There are more opportunities for a minor league BB career.

So your an athlete who wants to pursue a career past 21yr and make some cash. No contest.

Load Metric
    Just making sure this wasn't an extension of the Nate Diaz thread. Carry on.

Load Metric
    Given the ability if I had a choice I would choose golf over baseball. You are an eternal free agent and get to pick your own schedule and support team. The sponsorship deals are huge money. Much better quality of life.

Comments

4BET: cry now

El Gallo: Golfers live awesome lives
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    Given the ability if I had a choice I would choose golf over baseball. You are an eternal free agent and get to pick your own schedule and support team. The sponsorship deals are huge money. Much better quality of life.
    That's true for the top 10-20% of guys on tour. The ones you see on TV most weeks. Problem is there are another 150 guys out there with cards who are struggling to make the cut each week. They have sponsorship deals but they aren't worth dick. Most of those deals are for free clothes or clubs and then you get bonuses every time you are shown on television and for how long. A lot of these guys you never see so they don't make shit. Plus they need to pay their traveling costs, entry fees and general life expenses and you are looking at 200k+ per year.

But I agree with you. Give me golf any day if you are in the 10-20%. I'm not even talking about the Tigers and Phils. Take a guy like Dufner or a Johnson. These guys get paid just to show up for a tournament in other countries...prob 250k...tiger and rory gets a million.

They just posted the top 50 earners in golf for 2013 and 50th was less than 5 million including sponsorships I believe so the money isn't outstanding at that level.

Overall, baseball players make more money per year but they work more and careers are shorter.

Load Metric
    Trout was a 1st round pick, and received a $1.215M bonus as well. Obviously he is outperforming his current salary, but this happens in every sport, and most jobs in life, frankly, with young vs. old.

There also is no salary cap in baseball BTW.

Load Metric
    The most underpaid athlete by far is Tiger Woods. He brings in hundreds of millions of extra revenue to the PGA tour. When he is in contention, ratings skyrocket. A good year for him is about $10,000,000 in earnings. Of course he is handsomely compensated through endorsement deals.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    The most underpaid athlete by far is Tiger Woods. He brings in hundreds of millions of extra revenue to the PGA tour. When he is in contention, ratings skyrocket. A good year for him is about $10,000,000 in earnings. Of course he is handsomely compensated through endorsement deals.
    He makes 100 million a year. I think that is properly compensated.

Load Metric
    The two most underpaid athletes are Trout and R Wilson. I don't think either of those can be debated....especially Trout.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Baseball is a different story because of their extensive minor league system (and as people already mentioned, big signing bonuses).

You would be surprised how large some of these signing bonuses are these days, even for players with limited upside. I actually knew a guy personally who got almost $2 million as a signing bonus, and he was far from a heralded prospect (and indeed never endied up setting foot on a Major League field.)

The problem for baseball is that they have to keep early-career player salaries low in order to incentivize player development. If young players were eligible for big salaries simply because they produce, then teams would be smart to pretty much blow off their minor league systems and simply sign free agents. Players like Trout are essentially paying for all of the other players who were given big signing bonuses but never made it. Sucks for Trout (especially if he gets injured or declines before it's time to get the big money in free agency), but unfortunately that's the system in place, and there's no easy solution to it.

I think the most fair thing to do at this point would be a blanket reduction of signing bonuses, and then use that money to allow young high producers to get paid. Or at the very least, set up some after-the-fact bonus system where really high producers like Trout at least get something when they put up huge numbers while making $500,000.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Baseball is a different story because of their extensive minor league system (and as people already mentioned, big signing bonuses).

You would be surprised how large some of these signing bonuses are these days, even for players with limited upside. I actually knew a guy personally who got almost $2 million as a signing bonus, and he was far from a heralded prospect (and indeed never endied up setting foot on a Major League field.)

The problem for baseball is that they have to keep early-career player salaries low in order to incentivize player development. If young players were eligible for big salaries simply because they produce, then teams would be smart to pretty much blow off their minor league systems and simply sign free agents. Players like Trout are essentially paying for all of the other players who were given big signing bonuses but never made it. Sucks for Trout (especially if he gets injured or declines before it's time to get the big money in free agency), but unfortunately that's the system in place, and there's no easy solution to it.

I think the most fair thing to do at this point would be a blanket reduction of signing bonuses, and then use that money to allow young high producers to get paid. Or at the very least, set up some after-the-fact bonus system where really high producers like Trout at least get something when they put up huge numbers while making $500,000.
    It's fine how it is. The big producers will get paid. It's highly likely Trout will sign a 6 yr 150 million deal before this season starts. The million they gave him is a smoke screen. Look at Longoria's contract. He got that before he played an inning of major league ball. The big names will produce and get paid. Guys like your friend make a couple mil then flame out. A couple mil to a franchise is nothing.

Load Metric
    NFL players still get screwed, on the whole, more than anyone else. Look at it this way, Trout banked ~$2-2.2m before he would have even been eligible to enter the NFL draft if he played football.

DanyKar
    Wyjątkowo często wykorzystywane są pilingi medyczne, które realizowane są z użyciem odpowiednich urządzeń, jakie przez dobór właściwych elementów niesamowicie skutecznie realizują swą pracę. Laseroterapia, to także bardzo często stosowana metoda, która zezwala na [url=http://www.1hdwallpapers.biz/profile/marcadf
    usuwanie zmarszczek[/url] różne znamiona, nie pozostawiając po sobie najmniejszych śladów.

Podobne strony:

http://monobo.sg/mw/index.php/User:EulaliaBrunner
    http://letstalkskiracing.com/users.p...file&uid=22936
    http://hi.bharatdiscovery.org/india/...Usuwanie_blizn
    http://hlawin.com/index.php?do=/profile-2218/info/
    http://www.4gaccounts.com/article/in...&u=vitowhiting

Load Metric
    Nowadays, I don't think there's any such thing as an underpaid pro athlete. When you earn 10X what your father made, playing a game that you'd admittedly play for free, you're not underpaid. It's not like they've turned down other options that would pay them more than what they're being compensated.

Comments

varys: missing the point
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I'd say it's Lebron James. I don't care what he's getting paid but it has to be too little.

I mean fuck if OP can pull an article that I just read in USA today and portray it as unique content then I can include their number one pick.

Thread Information