Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good Jews advice needed

Load Metric

good Jews advice needed

My neighbors have recently decided to encrypt their wifi so I'm having to get cable internet. Long story short they want a $79 "installation fee" to turn on the service although I am buying my modem at Best Buy and they will not be physically coming to my apartment. I need some useful and persuasive advice on how to get them to wave the fees. I am asking mainly so that I can plan my attack ahead of time as I have a tendency of losing my temper easily and kicking into profanity laced tirades.

Load Metric
    What cable company you looking at?

Load Metric
    All I have to choose from is Charter on the cable front and the only dsl provider that I can try to play against them is AT&T.

Load Metric
    Save money by not buying the modem lol

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post
    My neighbors have recently decided to encrypt their wifi so I'm having to get cable internet. Long story short they want a $79 "installation fee" to turn on the service although I am buying my modem at Best Buy and they will not be physically coming to my apartment. I need some useful and persuasive advice on how to get them to wave the fees. I am asking mainly so that I can plan my attack ahead of time as I have a tendency of losing my temper easily and kicking into profanity laced tirades.
    I agree that the $79 installation fee is bullshit if they don't have to set foot into your apartment.

Here are the steps I'd suggest:

1) Call back and try to get a different rep. You may have gotten an asshole sticker-for-rules type, who lacks the ability to realize that waiving fees like that will be +EV for the company if you sign up new service (and if you might go for something else if they don't waive it). Anyway, you'd be surprised how huge the difference can be from rep to rep. This applies to all companies. Make up some bullshit that you are also strongly considering FIOS (if it's in your area) or DSL, and that the installation fee is what will make the decision for you.

2) If #1 falis, ask for a supervisor. Explain the same thing -- that it's just not worth it to you to pay $79 for an installation where they don't even need to come to your house, and that you'll go with DSL if they won't budge on this.

3) If #2 fails, ask for the retention department. Retension usually works with existing customers (rather than new customers), but it's worth a shot.

4) If everything else fails, get the number for the office of the president, and call them. The office of the president is usually VERY accommodating, and will frequently do far more than regular reps and/or supervisors ever could.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I agree that the $79 installation fee is bullshit if they don't have to set foot into your apartment.

1) Call back and try to get a different rep. You may have gotten an asshole sticker-for-rules type, who lacks the ability to realize that waiving fees like that will be +EV for the company if you sign up new service (and if you might go for something else if they don't waive it). Anyway, you'd be surprised how huge the difference can be from rep to rep. This applies to all companies. Make up some bullshit that you are also strongly considering FIOS (if it's in your area) or DSL, and that the installation fee is what will make the decision for you.

2) If #1 falis, ask for a supervisor. Explain the same thing -- that it's just not worth it to you to pay $79 for an installation where they don't even need to come to your house, and that you'll go with DSL if they won't budge on this.

3) If #2 fails, ask for the retention department. Retension usually works with existing customers (rather than new customers), but it's worth a shot.

4) If everything else fails, get the number for the office of the president, and call them. The office of the president is usually VERY accommodating, and will frequently do far more than regular reps and/or supervisors ever could.
    Most of the rep's you're going to run into don't have the ability to waive anything, the supervisor's either. Retention is always good for a hook-up but Druff is right, it's only existing customers.

Load Metric
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. They are closed until Monday, but I'm going to try to formulate what my argument in full by then because as I mentioned I tend to lose my temper and that doesn't help a bit. I'm also going to try to catch my neighbors today or tomorrow and see if they'll give me the password for their wifi and let me leech of them for $20 a month.

Load Metric
    Don't give up on the neighbour yet. Did you try aircrack? http://www.aircrack-ng.org/

Load Metric

5) Call the White House, there is no way you should ever have to pay this $79 charge, President Obama can surely take time to make this right.

No offense guys, but it seems like wasting three hours of your time to waive a $79 charge is a bit -EV no? I value my time far higher than this????? I wouldn't waste an hour of my time over $79, especially when it might tilt me for the rest of the day
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Load Metric
    So you have been steeling band width from you'r neighbour for how long and when you are finally forced to get your own internet connection you are to cheep to pay the fees to have it hooked up?
    how long have you been steeling your neighbours internet? and how much would you say you have saved by not paying for it? when you do get your own internet will you password protect it from the scum bags who are too cheep to pay for there own?

i would suggest you talk to your neighbour and ask if they would be interested in sharing there internet and offer to pay for half.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post

No offense guys, but it seems like wasting three hours of your time to waive a $79 charge is a bit -EV no? I value my time far higher than this????? I wouldn't waste an hour of my time over $79, especially when it might tilt me for the rest of the day
    This is fully a principal thing to me. If the do this to every single customer that lives in a pre-wired apartment building they are making a shit ton of money for a few keystrokes. It would be different if they were sending someone out to run wires or install the hardware but they aren't. Plus I need something to occupy me while I'm at work and the money saved from them will cover half of the cost for the modem/wireless router.

Load Metric

This is fully a principal thing to me. If the do this to every single customer that lives in a pre-wired apartment building they are making a shit ton of money for a few keystrokes. It would be different if they were sending someone out to run wires or install the hardware but they aren't. Plus I need something to occupy me while I'm at work and the money saved from them will cover half of the cost for the modem/wireless router.
    I guess if you're going to be doing this while at work and getting paid it makes more sense.

I was running the numbers in my head and figured with a 75% success rate and an average of 2 hours wasted it works out to about $30/hour: 3 hours and we are down to $20: Drop the success rate and it's nearing minimum wage!

Banned
    Load Metric

5) Call the White House, there is no way you should ever have to pay this $79 charge, President Obama can surely take time to make this right.

Damn man, you are such a baller. $79 ain't shit to you.

Load Metric
    I decided to try out the live support line on their website and got the operator to knock it down to $9.99 in less than 5 minutes. I'm going to chalk it up as a win and go pick up a modem after work.

Banned
    Load Metric
    I decided to try out the live support line on their website and got the operator to knock it down to $9.99 in less than 5 minutes. I'm going to chalk it up as a win and go pick up a modem after work.
    Awesome man, good job.

Steve-O wouldn't waste 5 minutes of his time on $9.99 though. His time is way too valuable.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Windsor Lockwood View Post
    Awesome man, good job.

Steve-O wouldn't waste 5 minutes of his time on $9.99 though. His time is way too valuable.
    No, 5 minutes for $10 is definitely within my time=$/hour range. It's not about "ballin" at all, I live my life based on the idea that time has a certain value and to me it's simply not worth it to waste my time (which on the phone talking to multiple reps is going to run into the hours) on the possibility I might get a $79 discount.

Load Metric

Awesome man, good job.

No, 5 minutes for $10 is definitely within my time=$/hour range. It's not about "ballin" at all, I live my life based on the idea that time has a certain value and to me it's simply not worth it to waste my time (which on the phone talking to multiple reps is going to run into the hours) on the possibility I might get a $79 discount.
    Careful Steve. Druff may take your Jew card away.

As consumers we really shouldn't bend over every time one of these oligopolies charge a questionable fee. They will keep nickle and diming as long as they can get away with it. They are bleeding us to death.

The new way of doing business is to charge as much as you can get a way with and provide as little service as possible. Spend money on attracting new customers at the expense of losing some.

Load Metric

Awesome man, good job.

5 minutes to save $69 is equal to $828 per hour which I wish I made but don't. Like I said it's a principle issue to me on this one. It also amazes me that people sign the 2 year contract and then lease the cable modem for $8 a month (basically $192 over 2 years) when you can buy the same damned thing for $59.99 at Best Buy.

Load Metric
    I decided to try out the live support line on their website and got the operator to knock it down to $9.99 in less than 5 minutes. I'm going to chalk it up as a win and go pick up a modem after work. I am also going to go to the local strip joint with the $69 and make it rain.
    FYP
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Load Metric

5 minutes to save $69 is equal to $828 per hour which I wish I made but don't. Like I said it's a principle issue to me on this one. It also amazes me that people sign the 2 year contract and then lease the cable modem for $8 a month (basically $192 over 2 years) when you can buy the same damned thing for $59.99 at Best Buy.
    That's what he ended up doing, calling and talking to people would take far longer, and there is no guarantee you'll get the discount either. Like I said, I look at what the monetary value is, how long it will take, and what it might do to my mood for the rest of the day

Thread Information