Thread: Kris Letang of the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidelined by a Stroke

Load Metric

Kris Letang of the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidelined by a Stroke

This blows me away. It says he'll be out at least 6 weeks but he's done for the year as far as anybody should be concerned. It's similar to his teammate, Thomas Vokoun, who was sidelined because they were afraid was going to have a stroke due to blood clots in his legs & was put on blood thinners like Letang is now. Letang actually had a stroke & also had an undiagnosed heart condition that may have contributed to it & IMO may threaten his career.

He's one of the very best defensemen in the NHL & was a finalist for the Norris Trophy lasy year.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=443206

Comments

Deal: What everyone is thinking.... PED's
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    I was just looking back at Tedy Bruschi's stroke. He had his on Feb 16th, was cleared to play Oct 16, and played against the Bills Oct 29, all in 2005. He was 2 years older than this guy, and it looks like almost exactly the same type of deal.

On February 16, 2005, just days after playing in the 2005 Pro Bowl, Bruschi was taken to a hospital with symptoms including temporary numbness, blurred vision, and headaches; Bruschi was diagnosed with a mild stroke. He suffered from a patent foramen ovale, a congenital heart defect that leaves a small hole in the wall separating the left and right atria of the heart. Bruschi suffered from partial paralysis and was admitted to Massachusetts General Hospital. After several months of rehabilitation working with Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Boston, Bruschi announced he would sit out the 2005 NFL season.[5]

He didn't sit out the season. He played 9 games.

With the proper doctors and treatment, almost any time frame seems possible.

Comments

Hockey Guy: Yup, a better comparison than Vokoun.

Load Metric
    Great player and a great person. All of Pittsburgh wishes him the best.

Wish he could play, but I'd rather him be healthy and happy then dead.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post

Yeah, I've heard he's a great guy by guys who've played with him.

It just baffles me with the amount of fitness testing teams do that his heart condition wasn't discovered 10 years ago. Seriously, they look for this kind of stuff especially after Fischer in Detroit almost died on the bench & Cherepanov, a New York Rangers draft pick, died while playing in Russia.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post

It just baffles me with the amount of fitness testing teams do that his heart condition wasn't discovered 10 years ago. Seriously, they look for this kind of stuff especially after Fischer in Detroit almost died on the bench & Cherepanov, a New York Rangers draft pick, died while playing in Russia.
    Stroke is not a heart condition. Much harder to detect risks than heart attack. Also much more likely to happen to young males without any warning.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Stroke is not a heart condition.
    No, but the small hole in the wall of his heart (that he was born with) that caused the stroke most certainly is.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Stroke is not a heart condition.
    No, but the small hole in the wall of his heart (that he was born with) that caused the stroke most certainly is.
    Ah my mistake did not read that!

Load Metric

Stroke is not a heart condition. Much harder to detect risks than heart attack. Also much more likely to happen to young males without any warning.
    As Crowe has already pointed out, did you even read the fucking article? Do you even know that teams in every sport conduct players physicals before every season & are looking for this kind of stuff? Are you aware that these players happen to be young males that are in great shape & appear healthy?
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric

As Crowe has already pointed out, did you even read the fucking article? Do you even know that teams in every sport conduct players physicals before every season & are looking for this kind of stuff? Are you aware that these players happen to be young males that are in great shape & appear healthy?
    Calm down or you'll be next...

And yes I know someone who was perfectly healthy 32 year old who died of sudden stroke 3 months ago. Scary shit. (also bestfriends brother had one at 15)

Load Metric

And yes I know someone who was perfectly healthy 32 year old who died of sudden stroke 3 months ago. Scary shit.
    I was typing that while you were posting your response to Crowe & admitted your mistake so I do apologize.

It's pretty scary that this keeps happening to pro athletes. If they're not finding it on them, & they're looking for it, how can we have any confidence that they'll find it on a normal person just going for their yearly physical?
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric

And yes I know someone who was perfectly healthy 32 year old who died of sudden stroke 3 months ago. Scary shit.
    I was typing that while you were posting your response to Crowe & admitted your mistake so I do apologize.

It's pretty scary that this keeps happening to pro athletes. If they're not finding it on them, & they're looking for it, how can we have any confidence that they'll find it on a normal person just going for their yearly physical?
    Agree. Remember Daryl Kile?

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/17/sp...s-natural.html

Comments

Hockey Guy: I had forgotten about him.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Name:  kpjp89-25duckslrg.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  24.7 KB

Comments

Hockey Guy: Scary situation right there.

Load Metric

You can't have any confidence. Shit happens, and doctors think in a very rote manner, and a lot of stuff is asymptomatic. If you're not having an issue, and you fall outside the parameters of what they view as a risky category, things like that Kile death will always happen. They think 33, pro athlete, no problems, no reason to think he has 90% blockage. Unless you have a family history of people dropping young, a ton of shit gets missed. A lot of shit doesn't show up on ct scans and mri's even, and given you can only have limited pet scans because of the radiation, they aren't doing them without cause. Those small heart holes seem to be culprits in a ton of young deaths, so I assume they are hard to spot for some reason and don't show on standard imaging tests.

I knew a dude who had a fatal stroke in his early 30's from a standard chiropractic neck adjustment. Wasn't even that the chiropractor did anything wrong, it's just something that happens a few times every 100,000 times they do them across the globe. I have been going to the chiro 3x a week for the past month, and every time that dude goes to crack my neck I think about that fucker.

The Pens starting with Mario seem to be running above average for strange, rather serious ailments in young fit men.

Thread Information