Thread: Electrical problem

Platinum
    Load Metric

Electrical problem

Anyone know anything about electric? Just had half the house go out after I turned on microwave. Flipped every breaker....still nothing. Have no idea what the hell could have happened, with multiple circuits out seems like it might be with one of the main 30 or 40 amp breakers and not a single one? It is literally like half the house.

Load Metric
    It sounds like you lost one phase of your house, this is typically a electric company problem. In your home you have two power wires coming in (hot wires) so if you lost half your house this sounds like the problem

Load Metric
    Your neighbor did it.

Comments

NaturalBornHustler: very nice, well played sir

Crowe Diddly: !

Corrigan: lol

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post
    It sounds like you lost one phase of your house, this is typically a electric company problem. In your home you have two power wires coming in (hot wires) so if you lost half your house this sounds like the problem
    Yeah I have been googling my ass off and just read that. Sounds like exactly what happened, I mean it is literally like exactly half the house. Makes sense.

And that aint my fucking problem, it is the electric company's.

Comments

shortbuspoker: have to admit that I googled it too

Load Metric

Load Metric
    OSA will likely know what to do.

He has been a landlord for 15 yrs and possibly an electrician for 23 yrs!

Comments

vegas1369: LOL!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Honestly it don't seem like the electric company's fault and more like a faulty breaker switch depending how your electrical box is setup.

Microwaves are a product prone to blow one along with other stuff that using a lot of surge start up watts. Other products like something with a heating or cooling element do this from time to time as well.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    Honestly it don't seem like the electric company's fault and more like a faulty breaker switch depending how your electrical box is setup.

Microwaves are a product prone to blow one along with other stuff that using a lot of surge start up watts. Other products like something with a heating or cooling element do this from time to time as well.
    My microwave will sometimes blow the breaker when I open it to use it. I should probably check that out since I think it's the only thing on that breaker(I made it so every kitchen plug-in was on it's own breaker because I hated breakers blowing when we used 3 things in the kitchen when I was a kid) & really theoretically shouldn't do that.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Platinum
    Load Metric

This explains it....

Your electrical panel has 2 legs. 110 volt breakers are connected to one leg and 220 volt breakers are connected to both legs.

If you're losing power to approximately half the house at a time it's probably loss of power to one leg. If you are losing power to part of the 110 volt circuits and all 220 power, it's definitely loss of power to one leg. Have a qualified electrician check each leg coming into the house while you are experiencing partial power loss. If a leg coming into the house is dead, call the power company. If both legs are live coming into the house, have an electrician check each leg in the panel
    That is exactly what is happening. I have power to half my house, and my dryer which is plugged into 220v is not working, while washer right next to it is. The left side of the box is supplied by one leg, and the right side of the box is powered by another leg coming into the house. That means one of the wires coming from the pole to the meter (there are two hot 110v coming in) is bad.

It just so happens that we just had a major ice storm, and I didn't have power for almost two days (just came back on 12pm yesterday). A ton of people lost power and there were lines/trees down everywhere. I bet this issue is from that as well.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

My microwave will sometimes blow the breaker when I open it to use it. I should probably check that out since I think it's the only thing on that breaker(I made it so every kitchen plug-in was on it's own breaker because I hated breakers blowing when we used 3 things in the kitchen when I was a kid) & really theoretically shouldn't do that.
    I should have been a little more clear. That type of thing happens to me as well where I'll use the microwave, coffee pot, and something else at the same time which can flip the breaker off. I just go to the box and flick it back on and in this case everything works.

Some electrical boxes are more picky then others. Over the summer we had a storm and my neighbors power went out. They have a portable AC in the upstairs of the house where the Central Air unit don't get to and that along with something else they were running destroyed a breaker in that part of the house. This was destroyed in the way where just going to flip it won't fix the problem they had to replace a breaker switch in the box which the box they had the store had to special order it and it took a few days to get to them. Once they replaced that switch all was good again.

NBH - That's very possible and happens a lot as well when the power goes out from a major storm. Anything with ice can cause whole bunch of electrical and cable issues. Call your electric company and schedule a trouble call.

Load Metric
    I would like to know if you have a total power of 100 amps and two 50 amp breakers likly one of the 50 amp breakers has faled and or perhaps you have a other electric panel whith seperate breakers for other half of your house a mostlikly ramshckeled uninsulated barn.
    power fazes are at the tranformer is normal 220 volt 2 faze or 2 wires one red one black and one white neutrale each wire produces 110 volts normal house hold draw only your stove, electric hot water and dryer will use full 220 volt you would be able to know if your issue is from the street if these appliances are not working normaly. other wise one main breaker is triped from two.

edit: i just noticed you have discovered this, so carfull now! dont get burned down, shorting wires will burn that shack in short time.........really!
    Last edited by Baron Von Strucker; 02-07-2014 at 10:06 PM.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Perhaps somewhere in your house you have a GFI unit that has been tripped. It may be under a sink where the disposal is plugged in or in the garage. You can have a ground fault at an outlet in the kitchen and trip a GFI in a closet in the garage and never know it because even though they may be far apart, they are on the same circuit. This happened to me once and it took out my garage, basement bathroom and extra bedroom lights because all were on the same circuit. I eventually found a tripped GFI outlet I never knew i had. Worth a try.

Load Metric
    circuit breakers trip by design for your safety....

in buildings electrical wires are inside walls...when too much electricity is passing through a wire, the wires will heat up enough to start a fire in the wall---wires used in most houses will start fires when 30 amps (a measure of electrical power flow) are passing through them....for that reason, circuit breakers are usually set to trip at 15 amps, well below where a fire will start.

if you create too much load on a circuit by have too many devices operating at the same time on a circuit, you will have more than 15 amps passing through that wire and your circuit breaker will trip

your electronic devices may have some internal problems (short circuiting) that results in excess power being drawn

or you may just have devices that require a lot of energy to run them--i've worked in a few offices in old buildings where a big photocopier machine would trip a circuit breaker on a circuit that also had lots of users with power strips filled with all kinds of business and personal electronics...and when the monster sized photocopier was started up, the lights might go out if too many other devices were running...then it was get the flashlight, find the circuit breaker and reset it, and tell the photocopy user to put off the job to after hours.

so try to re-distribute your electronic devices between your circuits or have yet another circuit installed inside your house by having additional wiring, conduit and a circuit breaker installed from your sub-panel (the box where you find your circuit breaker switches)
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 02-07-2014 at 11:11 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post
    Yeah I have been googling my ass off and just read that. Sounds like exactly what happened, I mean it is literally like exactly half the house. Makes sense.

And that aint my fucking problem, it is the electric company's.
    Sounds like its your fucking problem because you're the one living without power.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    OSA will likely know what to do.

He has been a landlord for 15 yrs and possibly an electrician for 23 yrs!

I considered him more of a "plumber"

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    Perhaps somewhere in your house you have a GFI unit that has been tripped. It may be under a sink where the disposal is plugged in or in the garage. You can have a ground fault at an outlet in the kitchen and trip a GFI in a closet in the garage and never know it because even though they may be far apart, they are on the same circuit. This happened to me once and it took out my garage, basement bathroom and extra bedroom lights because all were on the same circuit. I eventually found a tripped GFI outlet I never knew i had. Worth a try.
    It sounds like either this (GFCI issue) or your other theory mentioned in post #9.
    You can thoroughly check all of your GFCI's while waiting for the electrician to come over and troubleshoot.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Already checked all GFI's, this isn't just a tripped breaker under too much load, talked to electrician friend of mine and he said could be a outside issue or could be a panel issue.

He said call the power company and they will check outside, if it isn't that call him back it is probably a panel issue.

Thread Information