Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lease Question

Load Metric

Lease Question

So I just moved and signed a six month lease where I am staying. The rent came with everything included, electric, water, internet and cable. I live in a single house, but there are three total units. I have the entire downstairs, and there are two apartments upstairs. We all shared a network for internet. It was really fast and always reliable. Yesterday I was informed by the property management group that the owner decided to shut down the internet and cable. They told me they would give me 45$ a month off of rent in exchange for this. I told them that was not going to cut it. The cheapest internet/cable combo package is like 80$ + tax. It clearly states in the lease that these things are included in the rent.

If they refuse to budge on the 45$ what are my best plays here? Clearly this would not cover even the cheapest internet and cable bill. Also when signing up a lot of the companies require a year contract, sometimes even two for cable(Direct TV)! I only have a six month lease. I should not have to sign up for a year with anywhere. This should all be on the landlord and rental agency right?

They told me they would not move on the 45$ because the guys upstairs didn't argue it. I explained I don't care if they don't mind handing out free money. I certainly wont. It's in writing. Wouldn't I have to go up there and sign a brand new lease if this were the case? You can't just change shit, right? I've read it thoroughly and it doesn't say anywhere you can just increase or decrease rent for any reason.

Thoughts? Is this worth lawyering up for?

Comments

rum dick: small claims court because you're only talking a few hundred in damages
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If your lease clearly states that cable and internet are included in it then they should have to provide you this and it shouldn't be something you have to so signup for yourself even if they make up the entire difference.

The thing is you don't want to have to get these things yourself for the simple fact they require a contract through the cable/internet provider and since your rental contract says these are included in your lease the landlord has to provide them until your rental contract is up then they draw up a new one if they choose to and at that point you'd have to sign it or move out.

I wouldn't think you'd even have to pay for a lawyer and could probably just do this through small claims court. Once the judge sees the contract they will force the landlord to either honor it or at worst reimburse you fully for all expenses if you have to get cable and internet on your own.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I went through this like 5 years ago. I pushed back, and was given the option to leave at no penalty. I stayed and paid.

In theory I am sure there is a provider that will give you ghetto cable and ghetto internet for $45 a month, so he has air cover.

Why the fuck are you sweating $35 a month delta anyway? There is not a lawyer on the planet that is going to take a case on a three unit apartment anyway.

You spent a year in Haiti helping people rebuild their homes from a Hurricane and you are making $35 a month posts like this. Come on man.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    If your lease clearly states that cable and internet are included in it then they should have to provide you this and it shouldn't be something you have to so signup for yourself even if they make up the entire difference.

The thing is you don't want to have to get these things yourself for the simple fact they require a contract through the cable/internet provider and since your rental contract says these are included in your lease the landlord has to provide them until your rental contract is up then they draw up a new one if they choose to and at that point you'd have to sign it or move out.

I wouldn't think you'd even have to pay for a lawyer and could probably just do this through small claims court. Once the judge sees the contract they will force the landlord to either honor it or at worst reimburse you fully for all expenses if you have to get cable and internet on your own.

heres the thing, how long do I wait for them to install it? What if they say yes, and don't do it for two months. What am I entitled to? Free rent? The money it cost per month subtracted from my rent while waiting? What's my gain here? How long I wonder do I wait til they turn it on where there would be no penalty? It's day two. I wonder how to go about this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    I went through this like 5 years ago. I pushed back, and was given the option to leave at no penalty. I stayed and paid.

In theory I am sure there is a provider that will give you ghetto cable and ghetto internet for $45 a month, so he has air cover.

Why the fuck are you sweating $35 a month delta anyway? There is not a lawyer on the planet that is going to take a case on a three unit apartment anyway.

You spent a year in Haiti helping people rebuild their homes from a Hurricane and you are making $35 a month posts like this. Come on man.

It's the principle of signing a contract and paying x amount of dollars per month. All of a sudden these big mortgage corps can just say oh hey, no more internet even though we signed for it. Just cough up an extra 50-100$ per month. Sorry, the reason I am no longer a broke douchebag is because I don't just give my money to these asshole companies because they think they can break the rules against consumers.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTIFIEDhomicide View Post

It's the principle of signing a contract and paying x amount of dollars per month. All of a sudden these big mortgage corps can just say oh hey, no more internet even though we signed for it. Just cough up an extra 50-100$ per month. Sorry, the reason I am no longer a broke douchebag is because I don't just give my money to these asshole companies because they think they can break the rules against consumers.
    this

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

REALLY???

So whenever someone tries to weasel out of a contract putting the screws to you in life you bend over and take it?

The fact is if your entitled to something you should get it otherwise you are being cheated. If it's a few bucks and not worth my time I may not pursue things like that but otherwise it's not a matter of being cheap but simply not wanting to be screwed over.

Bronze
    Load Metric

The issue is you are not standing on principle. You are standing on the fact you have to pay $35 extra a month. That is not principle.

Did you get hosed? Probably. I got a cold Whopper the other day and tossed it. I did not call a lawyer, even though I was promised something different in a commercial.

Pick and choose your battles in life. You are way out in the weeds.

Comments

nunbeater: yeah a cold whopper is breaking a contract you fucking dumb shit

Muck Ficon: Lol you are a fucking retard

bukowski72: terrible

rum dick: legit great advice

Bronze
    Load Metric

REALLY???

So whenever someone tries to weasel out of a contract putting the screws to you in life you bend over and take it?

The fact is if your entitled to something you should get it otherwise you are being cheated. If it's a few bucks and not worth my time I may not pursue things like that but otherwise it's not a matter of being cheap but simply not wanting to be screwed over.
    Depends on the monetary outcome. $35 a month for 6 months is not on my radar.

There is this thing called Opportunity Cost. Look it up. It's a brilliant economic theorem. There are those that abide by it in life, there are others that do not. 90% of the time those that do not adhere to it end up broke, miserable and victims.

Load Metric

The issue is you are not standing on principle. You are standing on the fact you have to pay $35 extra a month. That is not principle.

Did you get hosed? Probably. I got a cold Whopper the other day and tossed it. I did not call a lawyer, even though I was promised something different in a commercial.

What? I signed a lease. A legal, binding contract. It will end up being more like 60-80$ per month, but that is 100% besides the point. They are trying to change the lease, mid lease... That's like me paying them 110$ less one month because I didn't use the internet or watch TV. Then I don't even contact them to tell them that. I just wait for them to call, and explain it.

You're either an idiot or a troll.

Comments

Walter Sobchak: this, and he's both

LLL: Why not both?

Load Metric

All you have to do is hand it back and ask them to make you a hot one. It takes 2 minutes and zero effort.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric

REALLY???

There is this thing called Opportunity Cost. Look it up. It's a brilliant economic theorem. There are those that abide by it in life, there are others that do not. 90% of the time those that do not adhere to it end up broke, miserable and victims.

Jesus, I didn't call Saul Goodman. I was just asking what I can get out of this? It's clearly not legal for them to do, so I was wondering how long they have to install something before I make some type of bluff/move

Bronze
    Load Metric

Jesus, I didn't call Saul Goodman. I was just asking what I can get out of this? It's clearly not legal for them to do, so I was wondering how long they have to install something before I make some type of bluff/move
    So you are going to move on account of $35 a month over six months? Unless you do a ghetto move where you pile your shit in a buddy's pick up truck you are going to spend a lot more than that moving.

The fact you got a 6 month lease is unheard of, be thankful for that. Just pay the extra $35 a month an be done with it. Or buy less weed. It's not like the guy cut off your hot water.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    heres the thing, how long do I wait for them to install it? What if they say yes, and don't do it for two months. What am I entitled to? Free rent? The money it cost per month subtracted from my rent while waiting? What's my gain here? How long I wonder do I wait til they turn it on where there would be no penalty? It's day two. I wonder how to go about this.
    So they already cut the cable and internet out after giving you a few days notice? I'm not sure what your entitled to be compensated for if anything beyond the cost of the services but it might be more considering the lack of notice they gave you.

Because of the immediate shut off of services before you could really do anything the judge might compensate you more given the fact you have a contract where they are to be included. The judge could just give you the credit for the services since some of them may look at cable and internet as luxury items which technically they are and not like your heat being out for example.

I'm surprised that the other tenants are just taking this screwing like bottomset is saying to do here. I would contact the landlord again and tell them this is in your contract and you demand they either keep the cable/internet or compensate you fully for getting the services on your own. If they say no then tell them you will take the $45 and will explore legal action to get the rest since you have a contract and they didn't give you reasonable notice of the change.

The timing thing is a good point. I would call your landlord again and let them know your stance on this. What you could probably do is call the cable/internet provider and schedule an appointment so you get locked in for a date but let them know the situation and that you might cancel if your landlord comes to their senses. Most of the time the provider will be cool with this as long as you call them the day before to cancel.

Load Metric

So you are going to move on account of $35 a month over six months? Unless you do a ghetto move where you pile your shit in a buddy's pick up truck you are going to spend a lot more than that moving.

The fact you got a 6 month lease is unheard of, be thankful for that. Just pay the extra $35 a month an be done with it. Or buy less weed. It's not like the guy cut off your hot water.

Who the fuck said anything about moving? Why should I be thankful for a six month lease? They are fairly common here. I am not in a city.

Load Metric
    So they already cut the cable and internet out after giving you a few days notice? I'm not sure what your entitled to be compensated for if anything beyond the cost of the services but it might be more considering the lack of notice they gave you.

Because of the immediate shut off of services before you could really do anything the judge might compensate you more given the fact you have a contract where they are to be included. The judge could just give you the credit for the services since some of them may look at cable and internet as luxury items which technically they are and not like your heat being out for example.

I'm surprised that the other tenants are just taking this screwing like bottomset is saying to do here. I would contact the landlord again and tell them this is in your contract and you demand they either keep the cable/internet or compensate you fully for getting the services on your own. If they say no then tell them you will take the $45 and will explore legal action to get the rest since you have a contract and they didn't give you reasonable notice of the change.

The timing thing is a good point. I would call your landlord again and let them know your stance on this. What you could probably do is call the cable/internet provider and schedule an appointment so you get locked in for a date but let them know the situation and that you might cancel if your landlord comes to their senses. Most of the time the provider will be cool with this as long as you call them the day before to cancel.

Yeah they turned it off without even letting me know I was getting a 45$ rebate. It just happened mid day. The entire thing about this is I am dealing with a mortgage company and not the HO directly. If it were him I could just work this out, but they are going back to him and all this third party bullshit. I have a feeling he is not aware that internet and cable are written in my lease. I think because the two top apartments don't have it written, they assumed I didn't as well, but not the case. I am waiting to hear back from them today. The dude who owns the house lives in Aspen and is obviously dumb rich.

Load Metric

Jesus Christ you're fucking retarded.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Okay enough with the downsyndrome babble.

Being a landlord for over 15 years as well as an independant renter out of state this is your best and most efficient course of action:

You have a letter sent to the Property Management Group stating that your withholding rent because their actions constitute breaking the lease.

Once the Internet and the other amenities that have been included in the lease are restored you will resume paying aforementioned rent. I don't know what youre paying in monthly rent but if it's in their best interest they will reinstall it. Just know that at the end of the six months they will not be renewing your lease for obvious reasons.

This would look a lot better coming from a lawyer but that would cost you I assume between 100 and 200 dollars

Comments

LLL: advice

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post

Being a landlord for over 15 years as well as an independant renter out of state this is your best and most efficient course of action:

You have a letter sent to the Property Management Group stating that your withholding rent because their actions constitute breaking the lease.

Once the Internet and the other amenities that have been included in the lease are restored you will resume paying aforementioned rent. I don't know what youre paying in monthly rent but if it's in their best interest they will reinstall it. Just know that at the end of the six months they will not be renewing your lease for obvious reasons.

This would look a lot better coming from a lawyer but that would cost you I assume between 100 and 200 dollars
    This is the most effective way to go about it. I would talk to the other people renting there and get them to go in with you on it, that will be more effective. Also be looking for a new place because 6 months from then you'll be out like OSA says.

As far as what you CAN do about it...

You can get the promised services yourself and then get your money back from the landlord in small claims court. You will only get the money you actually spent out of pocket for what they contracted to provide you but failed to deliver, nothing more.

You can force them to provide the services as written in the contract. This is known as "specific performance" and is available in most states as a remedy to breach of rental contracts. However to get this you have to go to a "real" court, and the first hour your lawyer spends bringing this case will cost more than the amount you're fighting over.

In most states, you can move out and you are entitled to an immediate and complete refund of any prepaid rent, security deposit, etc.

I also recommend reporting the landlord to the BBB and other organizations or review sites that are there to watch out for the consumer.

It's not worth getting an attorney involved unless the situation escalates into something more costly or personal.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post

You've been a landlord for over 15 years?
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Thread Information