When i was around 9 yrs old we were playing in a construction sight my frend was pulling on my arm and suddenly let go.... i fell and hit my head on a pile of concrete blocks, I am sure i blacked out for at least a few seconds as he seemed very worried when i got up, i felt i was in a weird fog and couldn't focus my brain or my eyes for at least 2 days, thankfully it went away and it never happened again severely only when ski racing some times the gates would smack you in the head......this was mostly when ski helmets were very heavy and optional.
this summer my son and i were at a local skate board park, it was quite busy and hard to get runs in because a bunch of bmx bikers were there really going hard on a vertical wall and launching 5 or 6 feet above a 9 foot wall, mostly what i would consider very young children were doing this between 12 and 13 yrs old. one very talented kid bit it really hard and smacked his head real hard, he had a helmet on but he was still out cold..... i ran over to try to help and ended up calling a ambulance, they arrived quickly and took him away. his friends then told me that he had done this before at least 9 times all concussions.
We go to this particular skate park every weekend and did not see him for the rest of the summer, I hope he is ok??

So we all know about some recent issues with professional sport athletes being delivered blows that have resulted in concussion, one of the more prominent in Canada is Olympic team captain Sydney Crosby from the Pittsburgh penguins he sat out two years because of concussion,
so recently i have been noticing more and more articles and shows with new findings regarding this serous problem.

This is from a article i read today in cbc news site.
Using advanced imaging techniques, researchers have detected microstructural brain damage in male and female varsity hockey players who sustained a concussion — changes that aren't apparent with standard hospital-based MRI scans.

The findings suggest concussions alter the microstructure of the white matter — the "wiring" that transmits signals from one brain region to another — at least in the short term, but possibly in the long term as well.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/concus...rain-1.2522433

It is only a matter of time to when these medical findings will change how contact sports are played.