Thread: Attention AT&T wireless customers: Save money NOW

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Attention AT&T wireless customers: Save money NOW

AT&T is getting beaten down by T-Mobile and their various promotions.

They have finally responded with much cheaper family plans, as well as $100 credits for adding lines.

AT&T has introduced a family plan of up to 10 lines, starting at $100 (before tax) where you get:

- Unlimited voice minutes
    - Unlimited text
    - 10 GB data (shared between all lines)

It's $15 for each additional line. So a 5-line family plan would be $175+tax, a 3-line would be $145+tax, and so on.

This is MUCH better than it used to be. If you have people you trust (especially family members), put it all on a family plan. For example, a 5-line plan would give everyone pretty much everything they need (unless they use an obscene amount of data) for $35+tax EACH.

Also, you get $100 credit for every new line you add to the plan. You don't get this $100 if you just swap existing AT&T family lines over to this plan. However, you might get it if you move a line from an individual plan to a family plan (not sure).

Here is the detail on the plan: https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/da...a8uDyiXRz?tab2

Here is the detail on the $100: https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/10...id=Z0a8uDyiXRz

This isn't any affiliate garbage. I am posting this because it will really save a lot of people money.

Load Metric
    Reports of Druff's death have been greatly exaggerated.

Comments

PLOL: lol

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    Reports of Druff's death have been greatly exaggerated.
    I'm pretty sure it's just garrett posting on Druff's account now that Druff left the forum to him.

Only possible explanation I can see.

Comments

Brittney Griner's Clit: lol
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Never mind.

This sucks unless you have your own phone NOT UNDER CONTRACT (or with another carrier) and never plan to upgrade it.

Otherwise they charge you $40 per additional line instead of $15, which totally changes everything.

Just learned the bad news today when I called to switch.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    It's the thought that counts Druff.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    In related news it appears as if cell phone bills in general will be dropping soon.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101404127

Mobile phone service in the U.S. looks headed down the same path as traditional land-line voice communication before it.

It's dropping in price, thanks to the Internet, and the fall is just now accelerating.

AT&T fired the loudest shot in the brewing price war last week when it slashed the cost of its family data plans, a move aimed at stealing high-end customers from rival Verizon.

The price cut came one month after No. 4 U.S. operator T-Mobile boldly offered to pay the hefty fees consumers usually pay when they switch carriers before the end of their contract.

Yet the biggest disruption to the consumer cellular market may come from below, thanks to a small Internet-based upstart with eye-popping prices and an aggressive business plan.

Los Angeles-based FreedomPop—which in October rolled out the novel combination of a low-end smartphone and free basic service for voice, text and data—has now upped the ante on its giant rivals.

Starting this month, it's also offering unlimited voice and text plans for just $4.58 a month, a small fraction of what larger carriers charge.

"We're declaring war on an industry that's taken advantage of consumers for too long," FreedomPop CEO Stephen Stokols says.

The company's service takes advantage of the fact that most mobile calls today travel over the Internet for at least part of their journey between callers.

Breaking voice calls into packets of data and sending them alongside other digital traffic over the big carriers' Internet-switch networks has dramatically lowered the operator's costs.

But so far at least, the savings have been reaped mostly by the wireless giants rather than consumers.

That's why the fight between the two largest U.S. cellular carriers unnerved telecom investors, who sold off their shares and those of T-Mobile and No. 3 operator Sprint after AT&T's price cut.

(Read more: AT&T cutsprices for wireless data plan customers)

An average plan that includes 500 MB of data costs $85 a month in the U.S., compared with $8.80 in the U.K. and $24.10 in China, according to the International Telecom Union.

Yet as we told you here in October, FreedomPop is offering a comparable plan for free, and has now cut the cost of a more-robust plan targeted at higher-end smartphone users by more than half.

I've been testing the service, which runs over Sprint's network for the last two weeks on a Samsung Galaxy 2 phone, alongside two other phones: an iPhone 3G running on AT&T's network and an iPhone 4S from Sprint.

I carried all three around, checking service strength and placing various calls from my home office in San Francisco and while traveling the Bay Area by car and subway.

FreedomPop's service requires a strong 3G connection to work properly, and even in places where I was connected to Sprint's 4G LTE network and Wi-Fi, the signal was a bit weaker than AT&T's.

For example, FreedomPop had no luck grabbing a signal while I was riding underground on public transit trains, whereas I do get service on my iPhone.

The upstart service also dropped a call to a wireline phone number on the East Coast of the U.S. while I was sitting at my desk, something that almost never happens on AT&T's network.

Still, for the majority of the calls I made during the business day, most around the Bay Area, the service worked fine.

So while I can't recommend it right now for heavy business users or helicopter moms who demand Grade A service 100% of the time, it's an adequate phone and service package for most consumers.

And at the price FreedomPop is offering, the cost savings versus the large carrier plans is as much as 85%.

To offer the service so cheaply, FreedomPop buys its smartphones at auctions in warehouses and on shipyard docks. The startup is on track to sign up more than 200,000 customers by the end of this quarter, Stokols told me last month.

"The big carriers know that the threat is coming, but they're more worried about each other right now," said Stokols, a former executive with British Telecom.

In the meantime, FreedomPop will be trying to revolutionize cellular pricing from below, one user at a time.

Load Metric
    I did this and got a tablet for 99$ and the 100$ credit for opening a line up with the tablet. Basically just paying 36$ for a one time activation fee for tablet and 15$ a more per month for 10 gigs shared between my phone and tablet. Pretty sweet deal
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Thread Information