Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LOL at Atlanta

Platinum
    Load Metric

LOL at Atlanta

These fucking idiots that run the city created the biggest clusterfuck of all time over 2.4 INCHES of snow!! Entire city is shut down because apparently they just ignored the weather and said "yeah we will get around to salting the roads when we can". Not only that they closed everything down all at the same time, and everyone tried to leave to get home and they all got stuck. All the major highways are like parking lots with cars abandoned everywhere, people walking home and whatnot.

The roads are ghost towns and it looks like it just snowed 2 feet not a couple damn inches. What a disaster, I know they don't get much snow down there but everyone knew this was coming as long as 48 hours ago.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/gov-dea...ies-to-/nc5t7/

By Greg Bluestein and Katie Leslie

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Gov. Nathan Deal and Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed, political partners who have helped shape the state’s agenda, sought to calm infuriated residents as they confronted a snowstorm that brought metro Atlanta to a standstill and laid bare flaws in the government’s response.

Speaking at a late-night press conference, Deal ordered state government shut down Wednesday and urged drivers to stay off the roads paralyzed by snow, portraying the weather as an “unexpected storm” that developed so quickly amid changing forecasts that officials struggled to respond.

And Reed promised transparency while also urging motorists to stay home and let emergency crews respond to stranded drivers. Road crews will treat icy highways and snow-covered streets throughout the night, he said.

Both politicians said they had learned valuable lessons from the 2011 ice storm that brought metro Atlanta to its knees, and that closer coordination and more resources have prevented the gridlock from becoming worse.

“There are certain things we don’t have control over and one of those is the weather. This came rather unexpectedly. The time frame in which it hit was a very short time frame,” said Deal. “And I think we’re better prepared now than we were in 2011.”

Still, to many who had endured the gridlock, the words rang hollow.

Thousands of motorists were trapped on clogged streets deep into the night, turning minutes-long commutes into hours-long affairs. The traffic jams in the storm’s wake also left students stuck in school buses and classrooms across metro Atlanta, and Deal said he’s dispatched state troopers to schools to help.

Atlanta’s mayor, dealing with his second major weather crisis since taking office in 2009, quickly addressed what he saw as the region’s greatest failing: timing.

“The fact of the matter is we do take responsibility for having the business community, government and schools basically leave all at once,” he said. “We created a situation from a traffic standpoint that was very challenging.”

And remains so. More than 12 hours after the storm began to drop snow on metro Atlanta, maintenance crews and emergency responders still couldn’t get passed many clogged streets to clear accidents, rescue stranded motorists and cover icy streets with gravel and salt.

Reed and Deal said getting motorists off the road and home is their top priority, but state officials said they were still trying to determine just how many students were stranded on buses and at schools across the region.

Still, Reed said the response was far better than it was during the 2011 storm. He said crews already had about 70 pieces of equipment on the road - more than first-responders had at the same stage in 2011. And he noted no fatalities had been reported and that entrances to hospitals and fire stations were clear.

“We are coordinating our resources much better than we did in 2011 and we’re going to be out of this much faster as a result,” said Reed.

The governor urged drivers to stay off the streets as ice that’s melting will re-freeze amid plunging temperatures, causing more traffic headaches on Wednesday. He said the National Guard is working to extract “fragile” motorists.

The public’s reaction to the storm and its handling has been constant and intense throughout the day, surging in the late-night hours with criticism during the leaders’ press conference.

Whitney Dozier, a teacher, tweeted that she was frustrated that Deal, Reed and other local officials “let us down once AGAIN.”

Another Twitter user, who writes from the account @warpedelf, said local and state officials “Failed to be prepared” and that the transportation department’s workers “need a public spanking.”

Atlantan Kevin Kiernan, who tweets from an eponymous handle, simply wrote this to the Twitterverse late Tuesday: “Embarrassed for my city.”

Deal, though, pleaded for patience as crews work to unclog roads and stranded commuters slowly make their ways home.

“It is not a simple solution,” Deal said. “I wish we could just wave a magic wand but we have to deal with reality.”

Platinum
    Load Metric
    http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/g...commute/nc53m/

By Mike Morris

Gridlock on the interstates this morning continues to frustrate drivers still trying to get home on a commute that started Tuesday.

Interstate 285 is closed in multiple spots and traffic is still bumper-to-bumper and barely moving on several other interstates, including on I-75 north of downtown and on I-20 west of downtown. Transportation officials said the biggest problem is tractor-trailers unable to get tractionon the ice that are blocking multiple lanes of the interstates.

Students remain stranded at schools, as commuters lucky enough to make their way to makeshift shelters begin waking up in churches, fire houses and stores that remained open all night to provide a warm place to stay as temperatures plummeted into the teens.

As Atlanta’s traffic nightmare stretched into Day 2, state transportation officials advised drivers who made it home to stay there, and others who were at makeshift shelters to remain in place indefinitely as they continue to treat ice-coated roads.

Maintenance workers are battling intransigent black ice to get stranded drivers on interstates and major state routes moving, said Karlene Barron, a spokeswoman for GDOT.

Tractor-trailers were advised not to enter Georgia all.

“If there isn’t already a tractor-trailer in Georgia, please stay out,” Barron said. “We cannot deal with anymore.”

Red-eyed district managers, communications staff and state maintenance officials worked round-the-clock at the Traffic Management Center, often without relief.

By early Wednesday, the stress was starting to show.

“It’s a horrible, horrible, horrible situation for people who are stuck out there,” said Barron, her eyes filling with tears. “I sit there and think about the mothers whose children are stuck in school buses… But people need to understand our folks are working as tedious as they can. This is a really hard situation for everybody.”

Overnight, help started to arrive from a few of other districts in the state that were less hard-hit, however about two-thirds of the state has been impacted such that equipment and personnel were stretched thin. Department of Natural Resources officers were going out in four-wheel-drive vehicles to take supplies to stranded drivers.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Well, I'm supposed to get on a plane for Australia tomorrow. I guess that's not happening.

I'm pretty pissed off about all this, but I can only imagine how furious parents of school children must be. They refused to cancel school yesterday, but did cancel bus service after it started snowing. Thousands of kids are just stranded out there.

Comments

BCR: Hope they get it straightened out. Missing Australia trip would suck.

lewfather: french cries rep

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Whoever is in charge of this city should get canned.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    ROFL

some residents told to tweet for police or send them a message through facebook

OMFG What in the fuck is wrong with these people! Hilarious. What in the fuck happened to preparing your city

Id like to know what these municipal agencies and citizens would be doing if there was an actual disaster.

Meanwhile in Wisconsin (and much of the north)...this is a typical day EDIT: Scratch that, with 2.4 inches, this is much of america

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/atlanta...-commut/nc5mS/

By Breaking News Staff

Stranded in the winter storm that has paralyzed metro Atlanta?

You can stay in touch with loved ones by registering at the American Red Cross Safe and Well website. Below is a running list of resources available in your area.

Acworth

Cedarcrest Church, 4600 Cobb Pkwy. NW, is open. The telephone number is 678-460-3500.

Alpharetta

Alpharetta has opened its community center as a temporary shelter for motorists who have become stranded due to hazardous road conditions, according to the city’s website. The shelter is at 175 Roswell St.

“Our Public Safety personnel are encountering numerous motorists who are stranded or have abandoned their vehicles on the roadside,” Alpharetta Assistant City Administrator James Drinkard said in a statement. “As a temporary measure we are activating our community center so that these citizens have a warm place to go until other arrangements can be made. While this is not a Red Cross approved shelter and does not offer cots and other conveniences, it is a warm dry place in which they can be safe.”

Atlanta

If you are stranded and cannot get through to 911, please send the Atlanta Police Department a message through Facebook or Twitter.

Canton

Revolution Church, at 125 Union Hill Trail, is taking in stranded motorists.

Cherokee County

Cherokee County Fire Chief Tim Prather has given authorization for any citizen who may be stranded on the road to use any county fire station as a place for shelter. Visit http://www.cherokeecountyfire.org/findyourstation.cfm

Cumming

Highlands Church, 433 Canton Rd., Building 400, is providing shelter and food.

East Cobb

Johnson Ferry Baptist Church, 955 Johnson Ferry Rd., is open. Go to the main entrance on the north side for assistance, church officials said.

Kennesaw

Call 770-422-2505 and the Kennesaw Police Department will assist you.

Marietta

Call 770-794-5334 and the Marietta Police Department will assist you.

Marietta First Baptist Church opened its Family Life Center for the night. The church is at 148 Church St., which is two blocks from Marietta Square.

Roswell Street Baptist Church, at 774 Roswell St., opened its gym open for anyone stranded.

Roswell

Northminster Church, 2400 Old Alabama Road, has food and blankets for anyone who needs help, said Lisa Holland, the spokeswoman for the Roswell Police Department.

Roswell Presbyterian Church, 755 Mimosa Blvd.

Roswell Cultural Arts Center, 950 Forrest Road.

El Jinete Mexican Restaurant, 4651 Woodstock Rd., is offering shelter and food. For more information, call 770-650-0850.

Sandy Springs

The American Red Cross has opened a shelter at Hammond and Glenridge drives for anyone who is stranded. Call 911 for assistance. Officers who come across stranded motorists are offering rides to the shelter.

Smyrna

The Smyrna Community Center, 200 Village Green Circle, is open for those stranded in the area.

Los Bravos Mexican Restaurant, 4480 South Cobb Dr., is offering shelter.

Woodstock

Anyone stranded near First Baptist Church Woodstock, 11905 Hwy. 92, can go to the church for shelter.

Elsewhere around metro Atlanta

Home Depot has opened a number of stores in the Atlanta area for stranded motorists and people seeking shelter. Here is a list of the stores that are open:

106 Kennesaw

111 Merchants Walk

115 Tilly Mill

116 Woodstock

116 Decatur

121 Cumberland

130 Cascade

154 Sandy Springs

156 Acworth

805 Pelham

809 Sylacouga

818 Pell City

875 Inverness

877 Tuscaloosa

880 Eastwood

881 Hoover

882 Fairfield

887 Trussville

1755 Roswell

1749 Austell

1763 Sandy Plains

6940 Powder Springs

6941 Lithia

6942 Cedar Town

6943 Sixes Rd.

6986 Buckhead

There is a Facebook group for those who are stranded. It’s called SnowedOutAtlanta. Go to https://www.facebook.com/groups/397839673695382/ to join the group.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Saw a tweet that said people are sleeping on floor of CVS stores.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    ROFL

OMFG What in the fuck is wrong with these people! Hilarious. What in the fuck happened to preparing your city

Id like to know what these municipal agencies and citizens would be doing if there was an actual disaster.

Meanwhile in Wisconsin (and much of the north)...this is a typical day EDIT: Scratch that, with 2.4 inches, this is much of america

Did you hear about that on the Facebook group? I'm hearing the same thing. People attempting to dial 911 are getting automated messages suggesting they contact police on social media. Christ.

I hate this city.

Load Metric
    Why is this shit so fucked up? I could understand 6 inches, but we pretty much drive with 3 or 4 inches all the time before a salt truck or anything else has touched the road. Are southerners like black kids in the pool? Are they just cranking along at 80mph and then wonder what the white stuff is falling from the sky, and before they know it, have gotten into some massive multiple car pile-up that clogs the roads? Just mystified by how 2 inches of snow can cause this much shit.

I thought like half that city were northern transplants. They have to be losing their minds watching people tarding up the road all over the place over a couple inches.

If I was Putin I'd have this shit on state ran tv 24/7 to mock America.

Comments

NaturalBornHustler: mocking of america rep

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    ROFL

Did you hear about that on the Facebook group? I'm hearing the same thing. People attempting to dial 911 are getting automated messages suggesting they contact police on social media. Christ.

I hate this city.
    Saw it while bouncing through a couple of facebook pages, and also its in the article I posted.

You live there? If you do, good luck and If I could help, I would.

Seriously though, I don't mean to laugh at peoples misfortunes like this, Im primarily laughing at the government - how can a city as large as fucking Atlanta have their city services fail on this large of a scale?? like someone else said, whoever is running this shit should be shitcanned.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Also, this is why I do some prepping. Don't mistake me, Im not one of those over the top lunatic preppers on tv, but I do a fair amount of prepping and to a certain point think about different things that could happen and what I would need to raise my chances of overcoming it - especially since I have a family.

I have several months worth of food & water, a pretty good amount of gear, secondary power sources, and weapons.

I even have a bag in each vehicle with food, water, heat sources, flashlights, flares, and misc other gear - at minimum everyone should have some type of a prep bag in their vehicle; you never know when you could be stranded.

Banned
    Load Metric

I hate this city.
    Saw it while bouncing through a couple of facebook pages, and also its in the article I posted.

Seriously though, I don't mean to laugh at peoples misfortunes like this, Im primarily laughing at the government - how can a city as large as fucking Atlanta have their city services fail on this large of a scale?? like someone else said, whoever is running this shit should be shitcanned.
    Yeah, I moved here in May for the BLUFF job. Sarah and I are safe and sound at home. Yesterday was a pain in the ass getting home, I spent about 6 hours on the road. I'm fine now.

I don't have much experience driving in snow and ice, but my understanding is that you're supposed to salt the roads to keep them drivable. I guess having the right tires helps too. Yesterday my car spun out twice, just from making basic turns at 10 mph.

Platinum
    Load Metric

I don't have much experience driving in snow and ice, but my understanding is that you're supposed to salt the roads to keep them drivable.
    LOL.

Yeah that helps.

Load Metric
    When does the looting, burning, and raping start?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Load Metric

Yeah, I moved here in May for the BLUFF job. Sarah and I are safe and sound at home. Yesterday was a pain in the ass getting home, I spent about 6 hours on the road. I'm fine now.

I don't have much experience driving in snow and ice, but my understanding is that you're supposed to salt the roads to keep them drivable. I guess having the right tires helps too. Yesterday my car spun out twice, just from making basic turns at 10 mph.

Get at it motherfucker. Probably half us midwesterners were conceived under similar circumstances. As a matter of fact, with a last week in October birthday, I'm probably +/- a week from now.

The Northern Way. Shut in sex.

Load Metric
    My favorite part of that press conference was watching who I think was the governor say that a large part of the blame falls on truckers for not having chains on their tires. LOL!!!!!!!!!

CNN reported the majority of salt trucks down there are pick up trucks with a pile of salt in the back and 1 or 2 guys with a shovel.

Load Metric

yes tires are most important for snow as they have a different rubber and construction in them, pumping the breaks is better than standing on them if you dont have antilock system also if you drive a automatic transmission your could shift to neutral will help to stop faster.
    salt is used to help melt snow but for traction on ice is is better and cheeper to put a mix of salt and crushed gravel on the road. a light touch on the gas and breaks are better than heavy foot driving. if you have a rear wheel drive car or truck it will help to put some weight in the trunk to help with traction.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric

Are the roads actually sheets of ice? Or are they snow covered?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In December 2008, Las Vegas was hit with a surprise 6-inch snow storm. Well, it was kind of a surprise. I saw a weather report for rain a few days in advance and noticed that the day was also forecasted to be quite cold, and I told people, "I think it's going to snow here."

But for some reason nobody took it seriously (probably because Vegas gets snow flurries at least once a year, and it never sticks), so a legit snowstorm caught everyone by surprise.

I was out driving when it hit. The snow did not freak me out because I am used to driving in the snow from my many visits to Mammoth and Lake Tahoe over the years. However, everyone else on the road was flipping out and driving at about 10 mph. I kept driving around them.

But still, Las Vegas, which hadn't had any real snowstorm since 1960, handled it just fine. It wasn't the disaster that Atlanta is. I realize that Atlanta is substantially bigger, but still. This was a needless mess, especially given that they DID have warning and expected it.

The bottom line is that state and local officials are often incompetent, and this doesn't come out until a situation like this occurs.

Remember the Katrina disaster? Most people seem to remember it being Bush's fault, but that's not really true. While Bush's guy "Brownie" did bungle the FEMA response, the majority of the blame was on the (very corrupt) state and local level in New Orleans/Louisiana. That just wasn't covered much because the media loved to bash Bush at the time, and Bush gave idiotic responses to the whole thing ("You're doing a heckuva job, Brownie"), rather than telling the truth that everyone (including his guy) fucked it up royally.

Comments

bukowski72: Katrina just let you know that the government can't do shit in an emergency. You are on your own.

Load Metric
    Name:  IMG_20140129_140220.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  556.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_20140129_140142-1.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  526.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_20140129_140121.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  537.4 KB
    Just about a mile from me.

Comments

vegas1369: LULz

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    My favorite part of that press conference was watching who I think was the governor say that a large part of the blame falls on truckers for not having chains on their tires. LOL!!!!!!!!!

CNN reported the majority of salt trucks down there are pick up trucks with a pile of salt in the back and 1 or 2 guys with a shovel.
    That's bullshit, they have salt trucks. Do they have a lot of them? Of course not, but they have enough to cover major roads, they are using them right now after the fact.

Even if they don't have the capacity it isn't hard to pick up the phone and call another municipality way north (it was only a small strip of snow and shit a few hundred miles north they got nothing) and say "hey, we are expecting some snow do you want to make some money with those trucks that are just sitting around up there?"

Just an epic fail all the way around. It isn't like the snow just appeared out of fucking nowhere, they knew it was coming. Turn on the damn weather FFS, they have pretty good technology these days with all those cool maps and shit.

I have the Weather channel on laughing. Thing is the salt needs to go down BEFORE the shit starts and afterwards while it will slowly melt it, it will take forever.

Thread Information