Thread: Mammoth Mountain (California) on pace for worst ski season in history

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Mammoth Mountain (California) on pace for worst ski season in history

This no longer disappoints me as much, since I will probably not be able to ski for a month (or more) due to my rib injury.

But this season is really a disaster, and it's follow two other seasons that also sucked.

Mammoth has only received 47.5 inches of snow this season TOTAL. Their current base is 25 inches on top and 20 on the bottom. That is HORRIBLE for a major ski resort.

By comparison, they received 668 inches in the very good 2010-2011 season, and even last year they got 308, despite most of it being at the wrong time of year (so it melted).

Mammoth's worst year ever was 1976-77. a drought year in California, where only 94 inches of snow fell. I remember that year, and I remember my babysitter pointing out that the rain we received was the first time in over 6 months, which was a record (don't ask me why that memory stuck).

Only 27 inches has fallen since December 1st, which is awful.

Lake Tahoe is only doing a little better, with a 31" maximum depth and 59" season total.

Both resorts typically have a maximum base depth of over 100 inches (sometimes 200 inches) at this time of year.

With the warm weather currently over the west, even more snow will melt.

Load Metric
    pretty grim here too, we ski most days at one of our local ski areas Cypress mountian and weekends in whistler when we can. it would be closed if there wasent man made snow on the runs.
    whistler caught a big dump almost a meter in one storm, its funny how the east coast is covered in snow and nest to nothing here, even though january is usualy a low snow month so hopes are high for feburary or we just wasted 6.5k in ski passes. super nice sking in sun every day for a change, normaly is.
    have also been bashing the shit out of the new stokli skis we bought in europe last summer.

are you a good skier Druff. ever skied in whistler? i had a feeling you were a skier same with :LAkingsfan
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    Horrible year for CA skiing. Of course I bought a season pass to Badger Pass, planned a trip to Whistler, and have a time share for a week in Big Bear.

Load Metric
    Mount Shasta CA. Ski Resort still not open..

Govenor has called for a state of emergency for Drought situation.
    This is just part of a cycle .. not your AL Gore global warming conspriacy.

Same thing happened in 1977.. Ski resorts didn't open due to no snow

Load Metric
    Don't know anything about Mammoth Mountain but I went skiing for the first time in 25 years this week in Oregon - the first time was some chickenshit in Virginia that I barely remember.

Kicking myself for never making this happen earlier in life, best thing ever.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Silver
    Load Metric
    Going to be a long, hot, dry, fiery summer in CA.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by v12cl View Post
    Going to be a long, hot, dry, fiery summer in CA.
    This, it’s gonna be bad.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Don't know anything about Mammoth Mountain but I went skiing for the first time in 25 years this week in Oregon - the first time was some chickenshit in Virginia that I barely remember.

Kicking myself for never making this happen earlier in life, best thing ever.
    never to late to go/learn to ski. so much fun not a inexpensive sport but there is nothing like it and pretty fun getting to the top of mountains with out having to hike up. new skis (fatties) have changed skiing quite a bit

a little inspiration here the full vid is pretty awesome

all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Is this skiing in Oregon still decent? Usually the snow sucks everywhere by April due to heat and lack of new snow.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Is this skiing in Oregon still decent? Usually the snow sucks everywhere by April due to heat and lack of new snow.
    As far as I could tell, absolutely.

Soft and powdery for most of the day, icier higher up.

100% making traveling for skiing a new winter/spring vacation going forward.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I've slowed down over the years because the consequences of falling now are a lot worse than 20-30 years ago.

I went to Mammoth in mid-March 2019, when the skiing also usually sucks, but that was a highly unusual year in California and Nevada, where it was unusually cold for the first several months of the year. So the snow was excellent.

I didn't go this year because of COVID, but not for the reason you'd think. I was fine with the skiing part, but I didn't want to eat at restaurants or do take-out. Also, the snow wasn't very good anyway, as this was a drought year for California.

Despite skiing most seasons for 40 years, I've still never once skied outside of California and Nevada. It's similar to how almost all of my live poker play has been in California and Nevada, with only a tiny percentage being elsewhere.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I've slowed down over the years because the consequences of falling now are a lot worse than 20-30 years ago.

I went to Mammoth in mid-March 2019, when the skiing also usually sucks, but that was a highly unusual year in California and Nevada, where it was unusually cold for the first several months of the year. So the snow was excellent.

I didn't go this year because of COVID, but not for the reason you'd think. I was fine with the skiing part, but I didn't want to eat at restaurants or do take-out. Also, the snow wasn't very good anyway, as this was a drought year for California.

Despite skiing most seasons for 40 years, I've still never once skied outside of California and Nevada. It's similar to how almost all of my live poker play has been in California and Nevada, with only a tiny percentage being elsewhere.
    When the current situation blows over, I highly recommend taking a trip to Whistler.

Thread Information