This no longer disappoints me as much, since I will probably not be able to ski for a month (or more) due to my rib injury.

But this season is really a disaster, and it's follow two other seasons that also sucked.

Mammoth has only received 47.5 inches of snow this season TOTAL. Their current base is 25 inches on top and 20 on the bottom. That is HORRIBLE for a major ski resort.

By comparison, they received 668 inches in the very good 2010-2011 season, and even last year they got 308, despite most of it being at the wrong time of year (so it melted).

Mammoth's worst year ever was 1976-77. a drought year in California, where only 94 inches of snow fell. I remember that year, and I remember my babysitter pointing out that the rain we received was the first time in over 6 months, which was a record (don't ask me why that memory stuck).

Only 27 inches has fallen since December 1st, which is awful.

Lake Tahoe is only doing a little better, with a 31" maximum depth and 59" season total.

Both resorts typically have a maximum base depth of over 100 inches (sometimes 200 inches) at this time of year.

With the warm weather currently over the west, even more snow will melt.