Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Economy Class in the 60s

Load Metric

Economy Class in the 60s

I wonder what the prices would be (adjusted for inflation) but still pretty crazy.

Name:  economy_class.png
Views: 840
Size:  575.4 KB
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    I used to fly a lot as a kid, even flew by myself a couple of times before the age of 10. It was always awesome back then. "Stewardesses" were all hot, the planes were huge, and us kids would always get to go up to the cockpit, meet the pilots and walk away with our pilot wings pin. I'm glad I grew up when I did considering how shitty things are now in so many ways, obv traveling being one of them. Come to think of it, my generation might have had the best time period to be a kid throughout history.

Shit wasn't so uptight and politically correct, sports icons were just that and really nothing more, first generation of video gamers, AID's really wasn't a thing yet... Could probably go on about this for a while.

Comments

big dick: COOL POST

BCR: [plain]I'm glad you started the middle-aged man yell at cloud trend which I continued. We're Lockman -20 now. Couple years and we'll be writing noir stories with stills from 70s skating movies of our youth. Dibs on Roller Boogie. That Linda Blair was

Load Metric
    Also, for the short trip from Philly to Fort Lauderdale we almost always ended up on an L-1011, which is similar to what you posted in the OP. Those things were awesome.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    I used to fly a lot as a kid, even flew by myself a couple of times before the age of 10. It was always awesome back then. "Stewardesses" were all hot, the planes were huge, and us kids would always get to go up to the cockpit, meet the pilots and walk away with our pilot wings pin. I'm glad I grew up when I did considering how shitty things are now in so many ways, obv traveling being one of them. Come to think of it, my generation might have had the best time period to be a kid throughout history.

Shit wasn't so uptight and politically correct, sports icons were just that and really nothing more, first generation of video gamers, AID's really wasn't a thing yet... Could probably go on about this for a while.
    Pilot's wings, food, drink, cigarettes.
    Smoking hot stewardesses - it was actually a competitive selection process.

Occasional detour to Cuba - but the Caribbean is very nice.

I also agree with your premise that you prolly grew up during the last best generation for kids. Innocent and safe. Six television channels and the old fashioned notion that you would do better than your parents. The world would be a better place in the future.

However, you kill your assertion when you claim you flew quite a lot as a kid. You were prolly fairly well to do. Wall to wall shag carpet and color TV. Bully for you!

Flying was regulated, expensive and rare for most. It was a big deal.

These days I want to cry when I am told I have to fly. We have all had flying tales from hell. It really ain't much better than taking the NY subway. Subway is on time but otherwise similar.

Flying is the most powerful argument for telecommuting. As these services improve and the 20 something's who are used to virtual relationships grow to power - hopefully flying will again be rare.

My kids will not have fond middle aged memories of their flying experiences.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    However, you kill your assertion when you claim you flew quite a lot as a kid. You were prolly fairly well to do. Wall to wall shag carpet and color TV. Bully for you!
    Not really. My grandparents and lots of family lived in Florida, so my parents would send me to stay with them in the summer when I was a kid. Majority of the family down there was middle class, but some great characters.

I grew up low end middle class. 3 bedroom 1 1/2 bath house. Definitely not fairly well off, but not bad either. My dad was a good guy, he did what he could for us. Had my first real job at 13, which was cleaning up roadside trash piles. True story.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Flying was regulated, expensive and rare for most. It was a big deal.
    it was a sick industry economically, with ticket prices set by a CAA (a board) that was captive to the airlines+unions+politicians coalition, so the prices were too high and airlines competed on service, not price--1980's era reforms put through by Ronald Reagan (you know, the dead President Druff is still totally queer for) changed all that.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post

it was a sick industry economically, with ticket prices set by a CAA (a board) that was captive to the airlines+unions+politicians coalition, so the prices were too high and airlines competed on service, not price--1980's era reforms put through by Ronald Reagan (you know, the dead President Druff is still totally queer for) changed all that.
    Another republican, Nixon, got the ball rolling and the gas crisis in the 70's cinched the deal during Carter admin.

The airlines industry as a whole really never made money since and flying became the cesspool it is today.

I usually am Republican and laisse faire, but this may be a rare instance when an industry might be better off if it is nationalized.

The domestic airline industry has reported negative net income in 23 of 31 years since deregulation and a strongly negative aggregate net present value of earnings.

This is my favorite:

Domestic passenger airline operations lost $10 billion from 1979 to 1989, made profits of $5 billion in the 1990s and lost $54 billion from 2000 to 2009. To put these numbers in context,at the end of 2009, the entire book value of U.S. passenger carriers’ assets was about $163 billion and the book value of shareholder equity was $10 billion. Even at the end of 2000, after six consecutive profitable years, their assets were $159 billion and shareholder equity was $40 billion.

That my friends is a loser.

But thanks to billions in government cash and loan guarantees you can visit Morty & Helen in Del Boca Vista, Florida for $200 round trip. My kids will pick up the tab and skip their retirement.

Walking Image Library
    Load Metric
    Good article about seat sizes here. As people get fatter airlines keep shrinking the seats:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/07/travel...-airline-seat/

Load Metric
    no matter what it cost i'm guessing cmoney could most definitely afford sfo

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    LOL OP. That pic is deceiving as shit. Fill that bitch up and sprinkle some negros and fat people and don't focus on the very front row and tell me how awesome that looks.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    LOL OP. That pic is deceiving as shit. Fill that bitch up and sprinkle some negros and fat people and don't focus on the very front row and tell me how awesome that looks.
    obviously the lack of negros and fat people makes it awesome

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by rickastley View Post

Those are actors.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by rickastley View Post

Those are actors.
    what you saying? black people couldn't act in the 60s?! racist.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by bukowski72 View Post
    Good article about seat sizes here. As people get fatter airlines keep shrinking the seats:

196 is average now? That's pretty crazy. I don't think I would touch somebody over 160. I wonder what the median is though. After all you can be several hundred pounds over and skew the average upward, but you can't have people on the other end who are several hundred lbs below to balance it out.
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric

Were black people even allowed to fly at that point?

Comments

vegas1369: At the back of the plane, obv.
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post

196 is average now? That's pretty crazy. I don't think I would touch somebody over 160. I wonder what the median is though. After all you can be several hundred pounds over and skew the average upward, but you can't have people on the other end who are several hundred lbs below to balance it out.
    i guess it just wasn't meant to be kiddo

Comments

PLOL: Willie, you know I'd make an exception for you ;)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post

Were black people even allowed to fly at that point?

The list of Black people who could afford to fly was like Muhammad Ali and Sammy Davis Jr.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post

I bet you could find a whole lot more 196lb men you'd fuck than 166lb women I'd fuck. Any woman over that I'm going to have to be married to and it just happened, and even then I'm not happy about it.

Assuming a guy is 6ft or so, many can carry 196 in very good shape. Maybe not that twink look you prefer, but very lean and attractive to 90% of women. I don't know any woman that can carry 166 in any desirable way.

I can't imagine what tickets would cost with that economy class and current fuel prices. Would have to be $3k for a 3 hour flight.

I remember smoking on a flight when I was young during my smoking years. Probably like 18 or 19 at the time and they were just phasing it out on most flights. Now you'd get tackled by a federal air marshal. I recall as a kid when they'd have ash trays every ten feet in the grocery aisle. I quit smoking years ago, but sometimes I am tempted to buy a pack and just walk down the aisle to see the reactions. It's amazing how things change in just a generation.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Used to travel by train myself.

The Santa Fe

Name:  Santa+Fe+F7A+347C+and+F7B+347B+were+borrowed+from+the+California+State+Railway+Museum+in+1989+fo.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  225.4 KB

Comments

big dick: great way to travel

Load Metric
    Dont forget about the free meals they used to give you too. I know most of them were fairly gross, but I used to love that shit. Now you gotta pay like 8.50 for a bagel or a cup of fruit wtf.

Thread Information