Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: PFA Movie Critique/Recommendation Thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post
    "Dallas Buyers Club" was great. Matthew McConaughey killed it and Jared Leto played a very convincing transsexual.

Here's the article the movie was based on:
    http://www.buyersclubdallas.com/
    I haven't seen 12 years a slave yet, but from what I saw from DBC they should be front runners for best actor and best supporting actor IMO.

Comments

LLL: Agreed. Leto's performance was so fucking subtle.

Load Metric
    Escape Plan- Don't bother. Maybe on cable when you literally have nothing better to do than to waste 2 hours of your life.

Filth- Fucking awesome! If you can stand to listen to a bunch of accents from the land of Team Razor, watch this movie!!!

And look what's coming soon...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Anything good in theatres right now?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    Anything good in theatres right now?
    Supposedly the Lego Movie is good to see if you have kids. Other than that there is nothing new out there getting really good reviews.

Load Metric
    Name:  THILI-Screening-Invite-template.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  1.46 MB

Just watched this last night, it's on Netflix.

Interesting but depressing documentary on how the war on drugs fucks stuff up. David Simon from The Wire spews lots of his talking points.

In summation, being black/poor = you're fucked

Gets hyperbolic toward the end but a great view

Load Metric
    space giants is awesome. Thought I lost those brain cell memories in the 80's!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post
    "Dallas Buyers Club" was great. Matthew McConaughey killed it and Jared Leto played a very convincing transsexual.

Here's the article the movie was based on:
    http://www.buyersclubdallas.com/
    I haven't seen 12 years a slave yet, but from what I saw from DBC they should be front runners for best actor and best supporting actor IMO.
    any movie about black slaves is going to draw critical acclaim in this day and age. just like eddie murphy said in bowfinger.

"White boys always get the Oscar. It's a known fact. Did I ever get a nomination? No! You know why? Because I hadn't played any of them slave roles, and get my ass whipped. That's how you get the nomination. A black dude who plays a slave that gets his ass whipped gets the nomination, a white guy who plays an idiot gets the Oscar. That's what I need. I need to play a retarded slave, then I'll get the Oscar."

Load Metric
    I watched Mendela last night. I thought it was better than 12 years. The Academy sure loves slavery. Mandela was the story of Nelson, from when he was a lawyer in the 40s all the way to what happened with him into the 90s. Guy loved his pussy. South Africa > America when it comes to racism and shitty rights back in the day. Wow...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Silver
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DABADASS View Post
    Also thought Her had the potential for something mind-blowing. But it came up just short.

Saving mr banks was entertaining although it deserved all the criticism it received.

Inside Llewyn Davis was the most overrated movie of the year. I love the Cohen brothers but this was a futile mess.

This is the end was the best comedy of the past 10 years.

Don Jon tried and failed -- but still entertaining.

The spectacular now is the type of movie that always gets me. I'm sure Weiss loved it.

Philomena -- how could I have forgotten this gem! Go see it now -- deserved more love from the academy.

Drinking Buddies - available on netflix - you'll either love it or hate it. I loved it. The dialogue was top notch.

Mandela -- meh. The trailer was the best part of the movie. Probably worth a watch if you see it on hbo.
    It was an hour and a half about a guy jacking off. If this movie was remotely interesting to anyone they must be a fag. Worst movie I've ever seen.

Not sure how old it is but reasonable doubt with Sam Jackson was the shit. Definite must see imo.

Load Metric

I liked Dallas Buyers Club, but loved Mud.

Highly recommend.

Comments

vegas1369: Good movie. A little slow, but solid.

Load Metric
    I've got the movie theater bug. Here's what I've seen in theaters this month:
    The Incredibles 2: Three Stars. I remember seeing the first movie when I was in 8th grade, which is kinda weird to think about. I'm not sure why the sequel took so long, but it was worthwhile. Not as good as the first, but if you enjoy Pixar, you'll like it.

Eight Grade: Four stars. I actually went to a special screening on this where Bo Burnham did a Q and A afterwards. I've always enjoyed Bo Burnham's standup, and for his movie debut he hit it out of the park. Don't know how much the film will appeal to the crowd on this forum, but I really enjoyed it.

Mama Mia 2: Two Stars. Didn't really want to see this, but my bf was excited about it, so I obliged (although he got kinda mad when I told him I never saw the first film as we were on the way to the theater. Oops). Visually it's an enjoyable watch. Plot-wise, they lost me. Seemed very cliched. But I'm not the target audience. My bf enjoyed it but preferred the first film.

Ant-man and the Wasp: Two Stars. Also didn't enjoy this too much, but I'm not really one for Superhero movies. If you're into that genre, you'll probably enjoy it. But to me it just seemed like every other movie of that genre out there. Nothing too out there. The jokes seemed forced/outdated/unfunny. And I didn't feel particularly vested in the characters.

BlacKkKlansman: Three Stars. Great film that's based on a true story. I feel like it was a little overhyped by liberals, but it was still a worthwhile film to see. The characters are pretty one dimensional. And if you're a #MAGA, you're not going to like it.

What I'm planning on seeing coming up:
    I'm definitely on the Crazy Rich Asians bandwagon. Looking forward to seeing it next week, and I'd be surprised if I didn't like it based on what I've been reading. After that I'm hoping there'll be a movie that's worthwhile to see in the Dolby Cinema format. I recently got turned on to Dolby Cinemas, and I like it better than IMAX.

Comments

Sloppy Joe: Eighth Grade was 90% great, thought many scenes were written beautifully, a few completely horrible

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    i'm not gonna like it because Spike Lee is a hack

Load Metric
    I find this fascinating.

Roger Ebert was a screen writer for 70’s sexploitation king Russ Meyer.

I’ll be damned. Dad never told me about this.

Sample of Russ & Roger’s work

Name:  9050C59D-21F5-45B5-95D1-C30345BB8620.jpeg
Views: 181
Size:  329.3 KB

Apparently I’m not the only one who finds this intriguing. A movie with a working title “Russ & Roger Go Beyond” has been in development for 3 or 4 years.

I’m in. Would it ever get made in these pathetic times?

It appears Russ Meyer always portrayed the men in the movies as the hapless victims used by the women and tossed aside.

Good trivia anyway.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    I find this fascinating.

Roger Ebert was a screen writer for 70’s sexploitation king Russ Meyer.

I’ll be damned. Dad never told me about this.

Sample of Russ & Roger’s work

Name:  9050C59D-21F5-45B5-95D1-C30345BB8620.jpeg
Views: 181
Size:  329.3 KB

Apparently I’m not the only one who finds this intriguing. A movie with a working title “Russ & Roger Go Beyond” has been in development for 3 or 4 years.

I’m in. Would it ever get made in these pathetic times?

It appears Russ Meyer always portrayed the men in the movies as the hapless victims used by the women and tossed aside.

Good trivia anyway.
    Kitten Natividad in her prime

Thread Information