View Poll Results: Who's gonna be in the NBA finals this year?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Miami v. OKC

7 50.00%
  • Miami v. SA

1 7.14%
  • Chicago v. OKC

5 35.71%
  • Chicago v. SA

1 7.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's gonna be in the NBA finals this year?

Load Metric

Who's gonna be in the NBA finals this year?

If you think there's even a .01% chance that it will not be one of these four matchups, you're incorrect.

Load Metric
    Yep, clearly the Lakers nor the Celtics have a snow balls chance in hell. Whats that? They have won 3 of the last 4 right?

Load Metric
    Can I get the field at 99-1? I agree those are the very likely match-ups, but in this truncated season, with guy's sitting every other night, it's hard to get a true feel, and there is an outside shot of a Boston sneaking in if things broke right, and Memphis gave OKC all they could handle last year, minus Rudy Gay, and I think have an outside shot. But the most likely scenario is Chicago v OKC.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I agree that it is highly likely that the team out of the East will be Miami or Chicago.

The West is a lot more up in the air. Oklahoma is the clear favorite, but there are a number of other teams in that conference that could get hot at the right time, or benefit from favorable playoff matchups. OKC isn't experienced enough yet to be expected to sail through the postseason, and San Antonio has been playing over their heads the entire season (and will have fatigue problems).

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I hate basketball...

Load Metric
    I could see almost any team from the west making it, with Denver and Houston being the only 2 I'm pretty confident will lose in the first round.

I like those current 3-4-5 teams as far as making a futures play for winning it all. Bovada has Lakers at 15/1, Clippers and Grizzlies at 22/1.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    I could see almost any team from the west making it, with Denver and Houston being the only 2 I'm pretty confident will lose in the first round.

I like those current 3-4-5 teams as far as making a futures play for winning it all. Bovada has Lakers at 15/1, Clippers and Grizzlies at 22/1.

I like this bet, because should they emerge from the West, they match-up very well with Miami should they meet up. A little less favorably against the Bulls. Futures are rarely good value, and I wouldn't bet big, but if I can get someone local to give me that number, I'll throw a little on Memphis as I like the way they match-up against the contenders.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

I like this bet, because should they emerge from the West, they match-up very well with Miami should they meet up. A little less favorably against the Bulls. Futures are rarely good value, and I wouldn't bet big, but if I can get someone local to give me that number, I'll throw a little on Memphis as I like the way they match-up against the contenders.
    Memphis is an interesting team. They have a squad thats built to win in the playoffs, with an 8 man rotation and the super sub (Mayo) who plays as many minutes as some of the starters. They're the only team besides the Lakers with 2 excellent scorers at the 4-5, and they have one of the best perimeter defenders in Allen. The only thing they lack is the superstar on the perimeter who could/would take the team on its back if needed. Gay could be that guy, but it seems he prefers to just be a piece of the puzzle, and defer to the big men inside frequently. Their team 3-point shooting is also not the greatest, but they don't really rely on it either.

Imagine a slight upgrade at the 1 or the 3 for them. Going from a solid stud that they have to a superstar player...say Durant instead of Gay, or Rose instead of Conley. The team would be a lock for the championship.

Load Metric
    Nope, the Lakers, Clippers, Grizz, Celts (lol), etc. have no chance. If it's not one of these four matchups I'll blow my brains out on youtube for you guys.

Load Metric
    Chicago is the NUTZ

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

Memphis is an interesting team. They have a squad thats built to win in the playoffs, with an 8 man rotation and the super sub (Mayo) who plays as many minutes as some of the starters. They're the only team besides the Lakers with 2 excellent scorers at the 4-5, and they have one of the best perimeter defenders in Allen. The only thing they lack is the superstar on the perimeter who could/would take the team on its back if needed. Gay could be that guy, but it seems he prefers to just be a piece of the puzzle, and defer to the big men inside frequently. Their team 3-point shooting is also not the greatest, but they don't really rely on it either.

Imagine a slight upgrade at the 1 or the 3 for them. Going from a solid stud that they have to a superstar player...say Durant instead of Gay, or Rose instead of Conley. The team would be a lock for the championship.
    OJ Mayo went to my Highschool and played his senior year there. Also Patrick Patterson from the Rockets and UK went with me as well all 4 years. He actually played football until his sophomore year. WR of course. OJ play football as a kid with me as well. just A team in midget league. Patrick tho played with me all through middle school and freshman year.,

Load Metric
    It's a shortened season; the Knicks made the finals as the #8 seed in '99 before losing to San Antonio (I think). Crazy shit could happen.

There could be some value in the Grizz at 22-1. They took OKC to seven games last year and probably would have won with a healthy OJ Mayo. I don't think the Spurs can hang with OKC or even some of the younger, athetic teams in a seven game series.

I wish the Knicks could come together to make the east more interesting. A'mare and Melo both excelled when the other guy was out. Having Lin-Melo-Stoudemire healthy should give teams fear but they won't because Carmelo just isn't a team player.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    OKC, LAL, LAC, MIA, CHI

these are the class teams. You undervalue the lakers. If kobe is injured, obv, they are out.

SA is not as good,

Bronze
    Load Metric
    OKC, LAL, LAC, MIA, CHI

these are the class teams. You undervalue the lakers. If kobe is injured, obv, they are out.

SA is not as good,

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Bulls Spurs and the Spurs win

Celtics Report

I really thought the Celtics were going to take a step back this year but this team is REALLY good and they are playing some of the best if not the best hoops in the league right now.

They started off slow cause they are an old team and they had some injuries early but they found a future all star in Avery Bradley which allows Ray Allen to come off the bench.

Pierce can still carry the load and get 25-35 any night. He had 43 last night

Garnett has been GOD since moving to center as well.

Rondo is one of the best IF NOT the best passer in the league

And they have some serviceable bench players in Stiemsma and Bass and Allen is a huge weapon coming from the bench.

If they stay healthy they will be dangerous.

Wouldn't shock me to see them go down in round 1 but wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them in the finals again.

Load Metric
    Bulls have another weapon in their arsenal if Rip Hamilton stays hot.

Does anybody else want to see LBJ shove it the face of all the haters? The guys is hands down the best in the NBA and completely punked Derrick Rose last year. Miami is just biding their time before the playoffs. Heat-Thunder, Heat in six.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I agree that it is highly likely that the team out of the East will be Miami or Chicago.

The West is a lot more up in the air. Oklahoma is the clear favorite, but there are a number of other teams in that conference that could get hot at the right time, or benefit from favorable playoff matchups. OKC isn't experienced enough yet to be expected to sail through the postseason, and San Antonio has been playing over their heads the entire season (and will have fatigue problems).

In what way is Oklahoma City not experienced enough? They went to the WCF last season and took the Lakers to 6 games and gave LA a good run for their money the season before. If you want a reason to count out Oklahoma City it is their lack of an inside scoring presence. They have 3 players that can go off for 40 points in a night but they don't have a big man that they can get the ball in the block and rely on him to score when the game slows down, like it always does in the playoffs, or the outside shot isn't falling.

San Antonio is, in no way, playing over their heads. They have gotten to where they were without Manu for half of the season (played in 31 of their 61 games). They have rested Duncan plenty this season to keep him fresh. And if age is a factor into why you think they have been playing above their heads, why don't you think the same thing about Chicago? The Bulls average age is 27.99 and San Antonio's is 27.29. San Antonio has big men they can score in the post, they are the best 3 point shooting team in the league, and they are extremely deep. They are middle of the road defensively but they are very smart and play great team defense. They (should be) a pretty clear favorite to make the finals out of the West.

To address other posts: The Lakers have no chance, the Celtics have very little chance.

Finals will be Bulls v. Spurs.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Fail View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

In what way is Oklahoma City not experienced enough? They went to the WCF last season and took the Lakers to 6 games and gave LA a good run for their money the season before. If you want a reason to count out Oklahoma City it is their lack of an inside scoring presence. They have 3 players that can go off for 40 points in a night but they don't have a big man that they can get the ball in the block and rely on him to score when the game slows down, like it always does in the playoffs, or the outside shot isn't falling.

San Antonio is, in no way, playing over their heads. They have gotten to where they were without Manu for half of the season (played in 31 of their 61 games). They have rested Duncan plenty this season to keep him fresh. And if age is a factor into why you think they have been playing above their heads, why don't you think the same thing about Chicago? The Bulls average age is 27.99 and San Antonio's is 27.29. San Antonio has big men they can score in the post, they are the best 3 point shooting team in the league, and they are extremely deep. They are middle of the road defensively but they are very smart and play great team defense. They (should be) a pretty clear favorite to make the finals out of the West.

To address other posts: The Lakers have no chance, the Celtics have very little chance.

Finals will be Bulls v. Spurs.
    This years Spurs look just like last years Spurs....a team built well from 1-12 that can split minutes up and win a lot in the regular season. When the real season begins, though, they can't hang with a team that has a solid low post presence and decent wing play. If I was the Spurs, I would pray that both Memphis and the Lakers lose in the first round, then they might have a shot. Otherwise, they have to deal with either playing Duncan and Ginobilli 40 mins/game, or still somehow hope that you could possibly win a title with the likes of Boris Diaw and Patty Mills playing 20 mins/game.

FWIW, if i was to rank the west right now, as far as odds on making it to the finals, I would say
    1. OKC
    2. LAL (assuming Kobe is 100%)
    3. LAC-MEM tie
    5. SAS
    6. DAL
    ...and the rest wont matter

Load Metric
    I am really looking forward to round one in the west. The 3-6 and 4-5 series should be great. As it stands now it would be LAL-Dal and LAC-MEM

Banned
    Load Metric
    .01%? I'm with BCR, I'll take the field 99:1 where do I send and how much ?

Thread Information