Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everything is a blessing in disguise...

Load Metric

Everything is a blessing in disguise...

***WARNING LONG POST ABOUT NOTHING MUCH***

I didn't know where to write this. I could do it in a notebook, but nobody would be able to mock or detest me if it were privately written. So here it is:

Four years ago today an earthquake his the country of Haiti. It killed over 300,000 Haitians and made over 1 million of them homeless. It was a horrific tragedy. Nobody will ever argue that. At the time of the earthquake I didn't even know wtf Haiti was. I thought it was just a bunch of dudes in Bad Boys 2. I was down and out in life. A horrible drug addict with tons of personal issues. I was broke and ready to give up. I really had nowhere to go besides "home". Anyone who is 28 and has to go back home after riding a drug and money fueled cross country rage for five straight years knows going home means you have nothing else. I was tired of hurting myself and more importantly the people I truly loved around me. I was alienating myself and creating enemies, as even seen here on the internet. The one thing I always never forgot was the difference between right and wrong. I did so many horrible things. A lot of times I wasn't in the right frame of mind to make a mature decision, but when all the smoke cleared I always knew right from wrong. I wanted to atone for all the things I did. As many of you already mock me for this, I went to Haiti.

The whole reason I am writing this is because I was thinking about it today. It's the anniversary of this event, and it made me think how an entire countries' tragedy turned into so many other people's blessing. I know it sounds fucked up. Nobody is happy people had to die, but they did. I am a huge believer in making the best of any situation, and indirectly I did that with this horrible disaster. I never really thought of it like this until today. As I sit here in Colorado living a wonderful life with a wonderful girl(Who I met doing relief work). I never thought me volunteering would turn into a quarter life career. In April it will be four years I have been doing disaster relief, and I think I could do good for the rest of my life, and I would not even come close to giving as much as I have received. I didn't know that would be the result, but undeniably it is the absolute truth.

I was thinking about the organization I volunteered with and ended up working for. They made a name for themselves in Haiti, and without that disaster who knows how much money they would have coming in today? I personally know a lot of volunteers who were out there for the same basic reason I was. They weren't sure about life, and wanted to do something that made them feel like it actually mattered. Today, we are all one big family. We live around the world and all keep in touch. The people I have met are some of my best and most trusted friends. You live, eat, sleep, work, and hang out with each other every single day you are on a project. You become a unit. The reason I say this is because Haiti was just the start, the launch. After Haiti I went to the Philippines for Typhoon relief. When I went out there I already knew and loved so many of our volunteers that would eventually greet me at my arrival. Without Haiti none of that happens. Millions of friendships and relationships were sparked from the disaster in Haiti. Its one of the few great things you can really take from this. It's the way we HAVE TO think if we want to eventually recover from a tragedy of this magnitude. I've learned this from my own fuckups. You have to learn from the past, but also forget it. It's done and you can't change it. All that matters is what is happening now and forward.

Without Haiti I don't land a job in New York after Hurricane Sandy. The same org I volunteered with in the Philippines hired me. After I had done everything I could there they wanted me to come to New York and lead teams of volunteers in gutting and mold treatment for effected homeowners. I met my girlfriend in New York, and I am in love with her. I could see myself spending the rest of my life with her. Again, none of this happens without Haiti. It's such a fucked up feeling, but it's so fucking true. Even people who were not in Haiti feel the effects. We have had projects in IL, CO, and OK this year. All of the volunteers who know about our organization would have probably never heard of us if not for Haiti.

Basically, the fucked up message in this post is: Lots of people indirectly benefited from the disaster in Haiti, especially me. This isn't even tapping into the money benefited from this disaster by many people. If you want me to keep writing I can tell you about the experience I had where while in Haiti I was hired by another org that one of our volunteers had started. It ended up being an international scam for millions of dollars, and the guy is still on the loose.

Sorry for the rant. I just had nowhere else I really would want to write this.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: 1 interesting mofo rep

IamGreek: much respect rep

WillieMcFML: your posts got me to haiti rep

tony bagadonuts: respek knuckles

badbilly32: your a good egg dan and i dont mind giving u $50 for a better fantasy record every year rep

ThreeBet: Solid

4Dragons: Walking The Walk Rep

Belly Buster: thanks for posting

lewfather: hot post, gl from here on out braj

FR1GHT: tolerence rep. which was worse the blacks or the libtards?

Corrigan: Weissss

Gordman: sincerely thank you for posting. I am happy you have made a change, and you have taken part in the inspiration for me to make a change. we will talk more.

nunbeater: much respect

BCR:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Load Metric
    Great fucking post. When a door slams shut open the window or some shit. I fucking hate dealing with junkies but I usually try to cut them some slack if they truly want to turn it around. Glad to hear you are still clean and sober, gl with staying that way.

I vote yay for the international scam story, I would love to hear it.

Load Metric
    Hey Weiss, you ever meet Mitch Albom while you were down there?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    Hey Weiss, you ever meet Mitch Albom while you were down there?

I have no idea who that is, sorry. Where/Who is/was he?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Load Metric
    Name:  HMKz9bm.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  74.8 KB

Name:  cId5s3E.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  60.7 KB

Name:  tt7trIb.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  139.4 KB

Name:  ICB52eq.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  89.2 KB

Name:  FU2e5pY.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  23.6 KB

never forget

Comments

JUSTIFIEDhomicide: OUR HOME AND BACKYARD LOVE IT!@
    Last edited by WillieMcFML; 01-12-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Load Metric
    Name:  3rd.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  92.7 KBName:  naptime.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  116.5 KBName:  beauty.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  70.6 KBName:  ride2work.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  86.3 KB

Comments

WillieMcFML: totally unsafe tap taps rep

Load Metric
    Name:  59350_429076069314_1603870_n.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  92.2 KB

Name:  59350_429076084314_8262686_n.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  136.3 KB

Name:  169073_489162279314_7281139_n.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  134.3 KB

Name:  178919_489162484314_276315_n.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  62947_429076209314_3355753_n.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  117.3 KB

Name:  59368_429075949314_8043274_n.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  87.2 KB

Comments

JUSTIFIEDhomicide: BENJI REP

Load Metric
    Very few people are able to turn things around like you have Weiss, and to do it in the manner that you have just shows enormous character. Other than you I don't know one person that would leave everything behind and go to a 3rd world country after that devastation and do what you did, and continue to do.

Since the first time I've met you and had to push you around Citizen's Bank Park in that wheelchair I've known you are good person, and I am proud to have you as a friend.

Keep up the good work buddy.

Comments

JUSTIFIEDhomicide: wheelchair rep

Gordman: hellz yeah +1 !

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    Very few people are able to turn things around like you have Weiss, and to do it in the manner that you have just shows enormous character. Other than you I don't know one person that would leave everything behind and go to a 3rd world country after that devastation and do what you did, and continue to do.

Since the first time I've met you and had to push you around Citizen's Bank Park in that wheelchair I've known you are good person, and I am proud to have you as a friend.

I remember that game. I took out a literal handful of pills and swallowed them before we ate Chickies and talked about Delaware(the person, not the state)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTIFIEDhomicide View Post

I remember that game. I took out a literal handful of pills and swallowed them before we ate Chickies and talked about Delaware(the person, not the state)
    What was that girls name (the one banging K-Rod) we talked to most of the game?

Load Metric

Pssshhhht no clue, but I remember she was hot. We gotta get to a game this year when we are both on the east coast. If we are there, we have to get to a game. Book it

Comments

Gordman: lol

Load Metric

Pssshhhht no clue, but I remember she was hot. We gotta get to a game this year when we are both on the east coast. If we are there, we have to get to a game. Book it
    Better idea if you are still in CO in April I will come out there. They play the 18th, 19th and 20th. It will be cold, but it will be better to see them early in the season as they are probably going to be out of it pretty early on. I don't have high hopes this year considering Marlon Byrd is our biggest move this off season.

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com...lendar=DEFAULT

Load Metric

Better idea if you are still in CO in April I will come out there. They play the 18th, 19th and 20th. It will be cold, but it will be better to see them early in the season as they are probably going to be out of it pretty early on. I don't have high hopes this year considering Marlon Byrd is our biggest move this off season.

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com...lendar=DEFAULT

I will be here in April. I am six hours away from Denver though, but we can definitely plan that. I have places we can stay there too

Comments

vegas1369: Book it.

Gordman: I wish I lived closer and id come join

Load Metric
    Godamn, made me log in, thats rare lately.

Great post brother. Thats some earnest shit, you just cant fake it, because........why the fuck would you?

Post the rest please.

And godbless you dude. Who would have known that your heart was so big.......even though you ARE a blunt smoking giant-of-a-man.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I don't mean to get in the middle of your Vegas1369 affair where you are fawning over each over, but give me a fucking break.

1) You were never broke. By your own admission many times your parents always had your back, so STFU with you were broke. Being broke is being destitute/homeless and that was never the case with you, probably still to this day. My guess is your folks are breathing a sigh of relief you are not banging them up for loans, and I am no saint either on that front, I bummed money in 2008 from my brother. But I paid it back and I doubt you have to your debtors

2) One thing I learned about this thread is volunteer work: A) You get paid and its a nice little racket, and B) You get to advertised your volunteer work and be praised for it. I have never really done any volunteer work in my life, but if I did I probably would not ask for a paycheck and I sure as shit would not advertise it for some type of self loathing praise

3) The idea of volunteer work as I understand it, is to do something for those less fortunate because its the right thing to do. Basically in your post you treated it like a private business, earning money off of it and getting laid. It basically was your form of detox. And you are not clean pal. Making internet bets and buying weed means you are just killing time until your relapse.

Stop moralizing please.

Comments

zealanddonk: Stop posting please.

LLL: FFS

IamGreek: Congrats for -88 rep

ellenemope: :boom

Gordman: holy fuck. there are so many words...id just make it simple and slap the fuck out of you.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    I don't mean to get in the middle of your Vegas1369 affair where you are fawning over each over, but give me a fucking break.

1) You were never broke. By your own admission many times your parents always had your back, so STFU with you were broke. Being broke is being destitute/homeless and that was never the case with you, probably still to this day. My guess is your folks are breathing a sigh of relief you are not banging them up for loans, and I am no saint either on that front, I bummed money in 2008 from my brother. But I paid it back and I doubt you have to your debtors

2) One thing I learned about this thread is volunteer work: A) You get paid and its a nice little racket, and B) You get to advertised your volunteer work and be praised for it. I have never really done any volunteer work in my life, but if I did I probably would not ask for a paycheck and I sure as shit would not advertise it for some type of self loathing praise

3) The idea of volunteer work as I understand it, is to do something for those less fortunate because its the right thing to do. Basically in your post you treated it like a private business, earning money off of it and getting laid. It basically was your form of detox. And you are not clean pal. Making internet bets and buying weed means you are just killing time until your relapse.

Stop moralizing please.

You are an idiot. Maybe it's time to cut back to one bottle of red wine per day

Comments

Gordman: absofuckinlutely !

Load Metric
    So funny that a guy that looks for praise because he switched from vodka to wine is in here criticizing a guy who has completely turned his life around. Envy is a deadly sin Bottomset.

Comments

Gordman: yup :)

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric
    So funny that a guy that looks for praise because he switched from vodka to wine is in here criticizing a guy who has completely turned his life around. Envy is a deadly sin Bottomset.
    Yea dude is a saint, give us a fucking break here
    Slava Ukraini!

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post

Stop moralizing please.

No one is moralizing you wet brain.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I have represented the silent majority for years. I have rarely been on the wrong side of history.

Comments

bukowski72: Holy Fuck you are delusional. If you were ever on the right side of history you wouldn't be -87

Brittney Griner's Clit: Bottomset was the first poster here to tell us Hitler was up to something sinister. We can never take that away from him.

Thread Information