Thread: Trying to stop drinking

Bronze
    Load Metric

Trying to stop drinking

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I have had 2 beers in 8 months now with no urges to drink

Load Metric
    I'm very fortunate in that I can have a few drinks and not want more. I do believe this is a genetic blessing as I've seen plenty of good people who can't control it. AA definitely works for some - the model is effective even with drugs as hard as heroin... for a certain type of person. There are those who will need a much different approach, but if you truly want to quit and it's a major life problem for you, it's doable. Keep us posted on your journey.
    ´*•.¸(*•.¸https://twitter.com/RealFckVwls¸.•*´)¸.•*´

http://i.imgur.com/TsBfg.jpg

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I grew up in a family with a couple of Alcoholics. It's actually sad that you don't realize they are alcoholics until you see another family and the way they interact. Until like the age of 9, I always wondered why no one else's father went directly to bar after work.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTemplar View Post
    I grew up in a family with a couple of Alcoholics. It's actually sad that you don't realize they are alcoholics until you see another family and the way they interact. Until like the age of 9, I always wondered why no one else's father went directly to bar after work.
    I'm not making light of your own family experiences or anything, but I still laugh at how uptight this country is. Tying in going to the bar after work (directly, or every day or not) with having a problem...only in America. The Irish and English (and plenty other cultures) would probably take offense to that.

Of course, according to the AMA, I am an alcoholic also, since I average more than 14 drinks a week.

Load Metric
    I have drank nearly every night for over 10 years missing only a few nights because of the flu or some other illness. My blood pressure as of my physical yesterday is 95/66 and the doctor actually asked if I was a runner. lol have not run since middle school.

I really do believe you can offset the bad effects of drinking if you eat healthy. I love to drink and will never quit but I also dont eat sugar or "white" carbs. I also exercise one to two hours a day. I have never cared too much about food and perfectly fine eating beans, spinach and salsa for lunch. I think this goes a long way.

I know I am taking a risk but for me it is worth it. I cant imagine a life without my scotch at night or that conversation with friends prolonged by those additional shots. If I die 10 years early so fucking what.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    I have drank nearly every night for over 10 years missing only a few nights because of the flu or some other illness. My blood pressure as of my physical yesterday is 95/66 and the doctor actually asked if I was a runner. lol have not run since middle school.

I really do believe you can offset the bad effects of drinking if you eat healthy. I love to drink and will never quit but I also dont eat sugar or "white" carbs. I also exercise one to two hours a day. I have never cared too much about food and perfectly fine eating beans, spinach and salsa for lunch. I think this goes a long way.

I know I am taking a risk but for me it is worth it. I cant imagine a life without my scotch at night or that conversation with friends prolonged by those additional shots. If I die 10 years early so fucking what.
    I hear ya. If you can maintain a normal life then who fucking cares. Like a previous poster stated, the mores of drinking are treated totally different other places.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post

It's all about eating healthy and not being completely sedentary. Most fat fucks don't drink a lot, they just eat like swine.

Having a few drinks a night is healthy for the mind. All the great presidents have been social drinkers.

Load Metric
    I don't have a problem with alcohol but I'm careful with it.

I used to always drink to excess, not really having control after three drinks and usually finishing off whatever I had.

I am good now about never exceeding three drinks and I usually only drink once a week. Just got tired of hangovers and feeling worthless the day after.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The PHA View Post
    SEE YA NEXT WEEK BRO! CANT WAIT FOR THE NEXT TOP TEN!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    I have had 2 beers in 8 months now with no urges to drink

Drop any weight?

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I can polish off a 1/5th of Vodka in a 24 hour period. I go on benders I cannot predict or plan.

Sunday was pretty brutal. I have credit card receipts in places I cannot remember.

Vwls: Sorry for a prior post way back when.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    craft brew is just too good to stop drinking, and too expensive to drink every day...the perfect combo.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTemplar View Post
    I'm not making light of your own family experiences or anything, but I still laugh at how uptight this country is. Tying in going to the bar after work (directly, or every day or not) with having a problem...only in America. The Irish and English (and plenty other cultures) would probably take offense to that.

Of course, according to the AMA, I am an alcoholic also, since I average more than 14 drinks a week.

I hear what your saying but maybe I should of worded it differently. I should of said when you and your friends are attending your little league game and and your wondering why their parents are there. When your thinking they should be at the bar.

Thread Information