Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next season of Boardwalk Empire is the last

Load Metric

Next season of Boardwalk Empire is the last

5th season will wrap it up.

which frankly I think is moronic since its finally getting into the rise of Luciano and Capone all that comes with it. so yeah naturally they are like "OK ITS A WRAP FAGGOTS" instead of knuckling up and expounding on the only interesting plot lines in the entire series.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

which frankly I think is moronic since its finally getting into the rise of Luciano and Capone all that comes with it. so yeah naturally they are like "OK ITS A WRAP FAGGOTS" instead of knuckling up and expounding on the only interesting plot lines in the entire series.

I've long held out on this series becoming great but it isn't going to happen.

Biggest problem is that the Nucky Thompson character sucks.

Season four was the best though, hope they end it well.

Load Metric

Both NY and Chicago could do a spin off.
    The is the first gangster series doing the 20's right.

Untouchables (The B+W one or the w/William Forsythe as Al Capone) was so fiction I don't think you could find too much truth in that series.
    Gangster chronicles in the 80's tried to stay w/history, but failed.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

I've long held out on this series becoming great but it isn't going to happen.

Biggest problem is that the Nucky Thompson character sucks.

Season four was the best though, hope they end it well.

Agree on all points here. Hopefully they dont mail in the last season.

Also GOT re-starts on April 6th.

Load Metric
    Very, very lame, especially considering they are many years away from him going to prison. Still a lot of plot lines to deal with. Sucks.

Completely gave up on Deadwood when there was so much left, ended Rome too early, the whole Luck debacle (not their fault, but still), now this.

Load Metric
    just fuck this show. fuck it to pieces.

al rothstein's entire plot line just dropped:

hes dead.

and not just that, the only reason we know hes dead is because 3 other mopes died so he was mentioned in passing when referring to 'people who died recently'.

lastly fucking lol at nucky thompson suddenly being some sort of apex predator superkiller badass who goes toe to toe with luciano and lansky. but of course doesnt kill them, he just.. 'sends them a message'... despite the fact that he knows where meyer is, and meyer is a dozen steps away from an open, unguarded door in a whorehouse.

this whole show, i just cant. the vaudville bullshit in al capones office...... the obvious and shitty Jules Dassin style cinematic intro and outtro... its just such a film class circle jerk for millionaire faggots.

fuck im not going to miss this saggy piece of shit.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    what was once one of my favorite shows i can't even be bothered now

maybe i'm doing too many other things while watching it but it can't hold my attention for shit

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    what was once one of my favorite shows i can't even be bothered now

maybe i'm doing too many other things while watching it but it can't hold my attention for shit
    i fast forward through scenes. that shit with his sister, his nephew... i cant.

Load Metric

hes dead.

and not just that, the only reason we know hes dead is because 3 other mopes died so he was mentioned in passing when referring to 'people who died recently'.

lastly fucking lol at nucky thompson suddenly being some sort of apex predator superkiller badass who goes toe to toe with luciano and lansky. but of course doesnt kill them, he just.. 'sends them a message'... despite the fact that he knows where meyer is, and meyer is a dozen steps away from an open, unguarded door in a whorehouse.

this whole show, i just cant. the vaudville bullshit in al capones office...... the obvious and shitty Jules Dassin style cinematic intro and outtro... its just such a film class circle jerk for millionaire faggots.

They mentioned ARs death in ep 1 when Nucky and Meyer have their exchange. I agree that it sucks but they moved the whole plot up 7 years. I'm not as well versed on that period as a lot of you but I've heard this means no st valentine massacre either.

Hopefully they do a flashback of rothsteins murder. It sounds epic.

Comments

sonatine: mea culpa. still tho, ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment

Load Metric

hes dead.

I've always liked this show more than any of my friends did but have slowly lost interest since season 3.

I think I have written about this before, but I feel like it was always missing substance. All of the elements are there for a compelling show: mostly good actors, lovely cinematography, costuming, etc. I was never fully on board with the writing but always felt like it was leading somewhere good.

Too many characters to keep up with and Jimmy having to go was a blow. I remember reading mixed things about why that happened; it was either part of the story or they had to write Michael Pitt out because he was difficult. IF the former is true, what a mistake. Pitt was great.

I thought Gyp could have been developed more. Season three was just like a crappy Sopranos season where a new foil flies too close to the sun before getting whacked.

TV is a bit thin these days for me.

Load Metric
    This was an absolutely great show for two seasons. To a certain extent Mike Pitt carried Steve Buscemi who in my opinion is a good actor but not cut out to be a leading man. The minute the writers and cast ganged up on the producers to write off Pitt because he was a fucking nightmare to work with they should have just killed the show. At the very least they could have gone into the backstory of Nucky and make him and independently interesting character and used Chicago and New York to prop up the AC story while it retooled. Instead
    The writers threw up all over themselves for two whole seasons. They went right to mid sopranos run and conjured up a ridiculous video game bad guy to try and fill the void. Gyp Rosetti was a total fucking joke of a season.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    This was an absolutely great show for two seasons. To a certain extent Mike Pitt carried Steve Buscemi who in my opinion is a good actor but not cut out to be a leading man. The minute the writers and cast ganged up on the producers to write off Pitt because he was a fucking nightmare to work with they should have just killed the show. At the very least they could have gone into the backstory of Nucky and make him and independently interesting character and used Chicago and New York to prop up the AC story while it retooled. Instead
    The writers threw up all over themselves for two whole seasons. They went right to mid sopranos run and conjured up a ridiculous video game bad guy to try and fill the void. Gyp Rosetti was a total fucking joke of a season.

IMO, after killing off Jimmy, The show should have stopped being Nucky-centric, and given equal time to NY and CHI, and just become a true ensemble show, showing the rise of Murder Inc and organized crime. Instead, we got a horribly recyclable season like season 3. Ah well.

Load Metric
    I think the ultimate fail of this show is actually quite impressive and unique. They made a show where the main character is arguably the least interesting character; and that least interesting character is played by Buscemi. That can't be said about anything ever that he has been in.

It's like a level of fail that takes a lot of effort to reach.

Load Metric
    Gyp Rosetti was a total fucking joke of a season.

Ultimate irony time:

Bobby Cannavale is (was) probably the most respected stage actor in the production, at least among other actors.

Also, at the end of season 4, the talk around the campfire was that Nucky was getting sidelined so they could pivot into the (far more interesting) NY/CHI environs. So to be confronted with this obvious descent into populist dick suckery is all the more galling.

*giggling*
    Load Metric
    Buscemi’s a great actor, but Nucky’s cagey passivity makes him at times seem like the fourth or fifth lead in his own series. He ties together the worlds of Capone, Arnold Rothstein (Michael Stuhlbarg), Chalky and the rest, but at times works better as a conduit for their stories than as someone carrying his own. At this stage, I can’t tell if the structure of the early episodes is the “Boardwalk” creative team acknowledging that, or simply them playing a longer game with their main character.
    Read more at http://m.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watch...6Mo1CA0dtW7.99

*giggling*
    Load Metric
    Interesting article on michael Pitt being difficult

http://uproxx.com/tv/2013/12/evidenc...ass-hollywood/

Walking Image Library
    Load Metric
    "But we’ll start with the more depressing news. According to this source, the next season of Boardwalk Empire will likely be its last. Even more distressing is the fact that it will probably only get eight to 10 episodes to wrap up. Showrunner Terence Winter is apparently anxious to move ahead on his other project, a 1970’s rock n’ roll drama for HBO with Martin Scorsese and Breaking Bad’s George Mastras, which will star Bobby Cannavale as Mick Jagger. As to that show, “Scriptf*g” has read the pilot, and knows a lot about it, as well:

It’s like Mad Men but a Record Label. It’s like Boogie Nights when you’re dealing with coked out talent and big shots trying to find the next big thing. Mix that up with the 1970s backdrop in NYC and the insane stories from Mick Jagger and the like and you’ve got one hell of a show there."

http://uproxx.com/tv/2013/12/next-se...ymous-insider/

Comments

sonatine: HOLY SHIT

Load Metric
    Gyp Rosetti was a total fucking joke of a season.

Ultimate irony time:

Bobby Cannavale is (was) probably the most respected stage actor in the production, at least among other actors.

Also, at the end of season 4, the talk around the campfire was that Nucky was getting sidelined so they could pivot into the (far more interesting) NY/CHI environs. So to be confronted with this obvious descent into populist dick suckery is all the more galling.

Yeah my comments don't reflect on the actor. I'm not sure he deserved an Emmy over the guys at breaking bad or mad men but he nailed the cartoon character they needed.

Load Metric

Ultimate irony time:

Yeah my comments don't reflect on the actor. I'm not sure he deserved an Emmy over the guys at breaking bad or mad men but he nailed the cartoon character they needed.
    I think if anything, his talent and over the top presence (hello, stage acting) made him unsuitable for the part as written. Lots of people complain about how his character 'didnt fit' with the overall gestalt and I think that fault ultimately lays with the writers for not adapting to his steez somehow, but I think that would be challenging enough for a 96 minute film and these guys were facing almost 10x that.. point being, no matter how talented he was, he wasnt getting an Emmy contender role written for him.

Load Metric

I think if anything, his talent and over the top presence (hello, stage acting) made him unsuitable for the part as written. Lots of people complain about how his character 'didnt fit' with the overall gestalt and I think that fault ultimately lays with the writers for not adapting to his steez somehow, but I think that would be challenging enough for a 96 minute film and these guys were facing almost 10x that.. point being, no matter how talented he was, he wasnt getting an Emmy contender role written for him.

He did win an emmy for that role

Comments

sonatine: ok cool

Thread Information